Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / How to proceed?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Jarl~Wolfsbane
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 at 16:24 (GMT -5)

I have here a female level 14 human monk, with unarmed fighting at level 10 and swords and knives each at 5. Swords were trained to allow me to use the SoN, but strangely, when I cleared out the graveyard, I didn't find it. I did get the guantlets, though, which helped immensely when I started running into vortices just past the Animated Forest. Not yet crowned, but working on it, with si's being preferred offerings for human gods... I have 1607 kills, and recently walked through a tension room full of trolls without breaking a sweat. Griff gave me some trouble, until I remembered my 9 quarrels of undead slaying... That took care of him. I am save-scumming, but I haven't had to use it yet, thankfully; I just want to get farther and get a good look at the game. But my problem at the moment is twofold; I need an AoLS for Kelly, and I'd also like to know how I should proceed in order to end the game. Most of my games, I only think about surviving, so events past Kelly haven't really entered my considerations yet.

PC's vital stats...
Murron St:19 Le:18 Wi:16 Dx:18 To:16
Ch: 6 Ap:11 Ma:11 Pe:16 N=
DV/PV: 32/16 H: 109(109) P: 46(46)
(Normal tactics)

Alertness ................ 89
Athletics ................100
Climbing ................. 34
Concentration ............ 81
Dodge .................... 70
Find weakness ............ 80
First aid ................ 74
Food preservation ........ 79
Haggling ................. 33
Healing ..................100
Herbalism ................ 44
Listening ................ 92
Literacy ................. 73
Stealth .................. 82
Swimming ................. 62
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1884 days, 9 hours, 9 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 at 16:34 (GMT -5)

With regards to the SON:

Did you dig up griff's grave?

(form your post I assume you were just "looking" for it.)
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5764 days, 19 hours, 11 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 at 05:57 (GMT -5)

Your stats could be better. Do you know how to train them with herbs? Your DV also seems a bit low to me, but perhaps that's because you're playing your monk unarmed rather than wielding a one-handed weapon and a good shield.
Jarl Wolfbane
Registered user
The Irish Assassin

Last page view:

6966 days, 15 hours, 11 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 at 09:29 (GMT -5)

Dig? Hmm... Next time I'm in the neighbourhood I'll make a graveyard dive and try that.

As far as herbs go, I know how, but I haven't come across any since acquring herbalism from Guth'alak, apart from the Big Room, but I didn't think it wise to hang around there for too long...

Well, 32 isn't too bad as far as I'm concerned, but that's just me... I would like to improve it, thus the high score in both Alertness and Dodge.

I don't know if I should go for an ultra ending, or just try to finish. Opinions?

Should Murron go for an Ultra Ending?
Yes  No
Check results

Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4937 days, 19 hours, 16 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 at 11:48 (GMT -5)

'Should Murron go for an Ultra Ending? '

What was your first kill? Can you kill Filk without problems?
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5140 days, 19 hours, 30 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 at 15:10 (GMT -5)

You should pacify the big room.

You can make a separate area by using wands of doorcreation (dip in booze as needed) and/or digging (in the left-hand or bottom side). Lure a duplicating monster (worm, jelly, or chaos rat) in there, and make them fill up the room. It needs to be a bit over 40 squares.

Invisibility helps a bit while doing this.
Beware of other monsters opening doors and letting out your duplicators.

Oh, and dont save-scum. Do take backup copies, but dont restore unless game crashed to a bug. Reading the guidebook is less like cheating.

Dont go for ultra either, especially if you keep save-scumming. (You would have nothing to look forward to).

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/16/2004 at 15:13 (GMT -5) by Molach]
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 at 23:41 (GMT -5)

ok your getting a bit to advanced advice i think... Go back to Griffs grave and dig the grave, "p" our holy water on it, then get the sword... to save space if you plan on summing anyhow, just goto the walkthrough on Andy Williams site, and go from there. The Guidebook is an invaluable tool for this game
Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7039 days, 17 hours, 41 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 at 14:33 (GMT -5)

I thought p was only for pay. I always "U"se the water on the grave.

and to you Jarl; I think you could just go ahead and play the game with savescumming, It's a nice way to learn the game.
I played the game savescumming for almost a year before i even thought of looking for ADOM on the internet (i found it on my brothers computer) And I learned quite much by that.
It was very exciting to just explore everything and finding out how things worked without the Guidebook.

Without savescumming i would have grown tired of the game quite fast i think. But that's just me.

Then i discovered the Guidebook and completed the game in a couple of days (with savescumming) and then quit with savescumming altogether. So if you want to be completely uberspoiled and have nothing whatsoever left to explore, read the guidebook, but then you should stop with the savescumming as that makes it all just silly :)

the greater moloch equips the hulking armor
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4937 days, 19 hours, 16 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 at 12:22 (GMT -5)

It was same with me. After I found guidebook and read it thoroughly and savescummad a few games succesfully I stopped savescumming altogether. I never use it anymore. But it's a great method to learn the game.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6507 days, 8 hours, 15 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 at 12:36 (GMT -5)

You have to "U"se potions of holy water to pour them.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 at 23:01 (GMT -5)

I also save scummed a couple games to learn about it, but I haven't in a long time. Just back up copies for the occasional crashes.

I'm quite sure monks get a DV bonus for being unarmed, something like 1 every level. My monk had roughly 120 DV with no weapon or shield, at the end of the game, on very agressive tactics. That was also grand mastery in unarmed, and awesome armor, though.
Jarl Wolfbane
Registered user
The Irish Assassin

Last page view:

6966 days, 15 hours, 11 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 at 23:23 (GMT -5)

Yes, the save-scumming is primarily a learning method... I have the guidebook, but don't really use it, for the mentioned reasons; With save+book, there's not much point to the whole thing. No real challenge. One or the other, I think.
And I think no ultra. First kill was probably a goblin or an orc... Even if it was a mugger, I don't want my first 'success' to be ultra, just enough to finish. I'll work my way up from there... Just a question; what is a normal ending? Everyone gets so excited about Ultras, I'm not quite sure I know how to finish the game normally...
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6507 days, 8 hours, 15 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 at 04:20 (GMT -5)

'H'andle the two levers on D:50, leave. Optionally kill everything on the level that moves.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: