Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Questions? (also, about si)

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7917 days, 4 hours, 55 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2001 at 21:09 (GMT -5)

I was reading Andy Williams' ADOM guide, and I found something confusing. Near the bottom of this page (http://w3.nai.net/~andywlms/adomgb-0-14.html) is a list of "opening questions." I haven't finished ADOM yet, so maybe this is just something I haven't gotten to, but the name seems to imply that this is from the beginning of the game. How come I've never seen it?

My other question is about the si. I was always under the impression that their most important use was as a sacrifice item. But Andy says it's better to sell them and sacrifice the gold obtained from selling them. Which is a better way to please the gods?

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2001 at 01:27 (GMT -5)

IIRC gold is the most favoured sacrificial fodder (except for some high-value artifacts). The Si is apparently not very high-value artifact but you can get lots of money by selling them to shop. And since Si multiplies all the time (just keep one in your backpack and soon you will have a pile of 'em) you have virtually unlimited supply of money.

No, the Si is not available at start of game but it's guaranteed. It in the CoC couple of levels above dwarftown. You will know you are in that level when you first enter that level and get the message "There is a strange smell on this level." (or something like that). The Si is named "Strange item" when unidentified (and is usually on top of trap).
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2001 at 08:01 (GMT -5)

No, I wasn't asking about whether the si were at the beginning. I was asking about the list of questions printed on the webpage.

And thanks, I'll have to sell si from now on.

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

7924 days, 4 hours, 1 minute and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2001 at 09:46 (GMT -5)

The opening questions are on the latest version of ADOM (1.0.0). After you have chosen your race and profession it gives you the chance to answer questions which alters your diety, attribute and skills by the way you answer the questions.

Sengoku
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2001 at 12:44 (GMT -5)

cool, I'll go download it now! :-)

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 days, 9 hours, 34 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2001 at 15:37 (GMT -5)

Actualy the answers only affect your stats, skills, equipment and alignment is not affected.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5656 days, 21 hours, 36 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2001 at 22:59 (GMT -5)

put a ";" inbetween "stats" and "skills" and jan erik's statement will be correct. =)

ivan.sourceforge.net
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 at 09:27 (GMT -5)

What does the learning stat affect?

Simius
Registered user

Last page view:

7415 days, 18 hours, 32 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 at 10:18 (GMT -5)

you learn the spells and skills better, so you don't have to go reading spellbooks all the time
jokainen chanssi on mahollisuus
Duke Ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 at 10:38 (GMT -5)

that and your PP and how many skill increases you get when you level up.
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7892 days, 16 hours, 58 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 07:14 (GMT -5)

I am quite sure that Learning also have influence when the amount of experience points needed for level ups are calculated. The only thing I have to back this up with is logic though.

Locke Cole
Kayaman
Registered user

Last page view:

7726 days, 58 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 07:27 (GMT -5)

You are right Locke, if I remember right there was something about that in ADoM manual.
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2001 at 12:22 (GMT -5)

Ah! Found it in the manual: "How many points you have to collect for your next level is determined by the following categories: race, class, and
attributes." It does say "attributes" though, implying that there's one or more attributes except Learning that influence on amount of experience needed for next level.

Locke Cole
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5823 days, 22 hours, 23 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2001 at 23:20 (GMT -5)

I believe more along the lines that the amount of exp for each level is locked in on charactor creation. But if ur charactor increases its learning, it'll get more experiance from killing mobs, therefore take less time to get to the next level.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 at 10:41 (GMT -5)

It has never been stated that the experience required to gain levels are not locked on character creation. I stated the opposite acutally, in my eariler post. :)

Are there any proof that can verify that when a PC increases his/hers Learning, he/she get more experience points for killing monsters? I have never noticed this effect myself so it would be nice to see some proof on this matter. I think I'll research this matter myself even... someday. :)

Locke Cole
duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 at 10:47 (GMT -5)

i think that leveling up costs more if your stats are higher... not sure tho. and i'm not good at experimentation, i have a tendancy to spoil them (either by getting the guy kiled w/o remembering to back up the file or by biasing the experiment)
Simius
Registered user

Last page view:

7415 days, 18 hours, 32 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 at 12:00 (GMT -5)

it's about the speed,which is a double edged sword,if you have it you gain less xp, if you're slow you get more but some creatures might hit you several times before you can act
jokainen chanssi on mahollisuus
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5823 days, 22 hours, 23 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2001 at 02:39 (GMT -5)

if that is so can u cast slow monster on yourself and score some good points towards the beginning of the game ?

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
BonghBaya
Registered user

Last page view:

7891 days, 3 hours, 5 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2001 at 04:40 (GMT -5)

boots of the slow shuffle also work nicely, but the difference is not THAT great, i think. it really matters (i've used) when you fight for example steel golems with some low-level character, or kill (greater) molochs while being slower than them (demon slaying ammo + teleport..).

mYh34Df E3L5liK3aFRiSb3e
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 16, 2001 at 09:02 (GMT -5)

The difference are kinda great I think. I've seen VP's where the PC got twice the amount of exp. from monsters.

You'll always get heaps of exp. when you fight very tough monsters with low-level characters. That combined with the "speed trick"... Yummie! :)

Locke Cole

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: