Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Potions of longevity

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4936 days, 15 hours, 34 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 at 04:23 (GMT -5)

How much do potions of longevity increase your lifespan?
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 at 23:08 (GMT -5)

Sounds like something to test! Go to it!

I'm guessing it's probably like a potion of potential youth, 10-20 years. Or maybe it's a percentage, like 10%.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 at 02:51 (GMT -5)

'a potion of potential youth'

What is this?? I've never seen one. Do you mean potion of youth?
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7038 days, 13 hours, 59 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 at 16:04 (GMT -5)

lol, potion of potential youth. "You can now become even younger then before"
current age: -12 years.
the greater moloch equips the hulking armor
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 at 17:35 (GMT -5)

Come on, I thought potion of potential youth was a pretty good analogy. Think about it, it makes perfect sense.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6506 days, 4 hours, 34 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 at 19:09 (GMT -5)

Um, surely it's more like a potion of potential age.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4896 days, 22 hours, 53 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 at 22:00 (GMT -5)

How about "Potion For The Increase Of Capacity For Aging"? I'm pretty sure it would end up being called a PFTICFA pretty soon after the event.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 at 01:17 (GMT -5)

Yeesh, bad crowd...
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 at 17:45 (GMT -5)

Okay, Some guy, think of age as a line. On one side you have youth, on the other you have old age. Potions of potential *foo* increase your capacity to travel in said direction. therefore, it would be a potion of potential age.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, December 25, 2004 at 00:02 (GMT -5)

Yes! Right! Except there's no potion of age to begin with, and lots of potions come in pairs like strength and potential strength, so I decided to be slightly funny and refer to it as a potion of "potential youth". It definitely rolls off the tongue better than PFTICFA (no offense). Now let's all stop analyzing what I said, before you find the meaning of life in it.

This "meaning of life" comment is also going to come back and bite me on the ass. I can feel it.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 at 12:15 (GMT -5)

Huh? This topic surely went far from its origin. But does anyone know the answer? How much do Potions of Longevity increase your lifespan?
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 at 12:40 (GMT -5)

Shh Ashandarei! We're getting into a good argument! However, I don't think anybody does. I'm thinking it must be a percent, or else it would be really powerful for trolls. Maybe like 10% or 5%.

Some Guy: After reanalyzing your first post, I discovered the meaning of life is to live long and happily.
*CHOMP*
(Think of it positively. How often does life bite you on the butt? See, you got lucky!)
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

6995 days, 6 hours, 41 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 at 13:24 (GMT -5)

BTW is there any way to check your current age in the windows version, since the 'at' command, displaying vaious info on your char (shift+2) doesn't seem to work?
Zephyr Offline
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 at 13:46 (GMT -5)

Press shift-B. It shows you background and age and how much of your age is unnatural.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 at 14:01 (GMT -5)

Ow.
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

6995 days, 6 hours, 41 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 at 14:03 (GMT -5)

and what the hell happenened with that '@' command? it was useful...
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3896 days, 8 hours, 10 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 at 03:41 (GMT -5)

the '@' command has been changed to alt+q in the windows version
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

6995 days, 6 hours, 41 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 at 10:17 (GMT -5)

oh. thnx.
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5192 days, 16 hours, 51 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 01:31 (GMT -5)

Potions of Longevity alter your maximum age as follows:

Cursed: -1d4
Uncursed: +2d6 (Average of 7)
Blessed: +4d8 (Average of 18)
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4936 days, 15 hours, 34 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 02:53 (GMT -5)

Finally I know it! Thanks Twinge.

Btw, you seem to know a bloody lot of ADOM. I see that you have thoroughly answered almost every single question concerning ADOM ;) How do you know so much about it? Are you TB himself or a close friend or something?
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 16:00 (GMT -5)

No...

You may have heard the name Vladimir before, perhaps not. Basically, he decided he'd diassemble the adom executable file to discover ADOM's inner-most secrets or something ;) I'll try not to make this took technical here, but it will be a bit. He spent a lot of time working with the disassembly (that's assembly code - practically the lowest level of programming there is. Not NEARLY as easy to read and use as modern programming languages) to make it fairly readable. Basically, almost everything in the code is numbers: races, monsters, items, etc.. He set up a bunch of 'constants' so that you can actually read 'check if player is wearing an amulet of lifesaving' instead of 'check if player is wearing item #124' for example.

So, he made several very interesting discoveries himself (such as the fact that the TCHUNK sound when entering a room is meaningless) and was really the only person working with the internal code (one other fellow named ToGu did some too, but he hasn't been around much lately). One fateful day I was asking him some questions about ADOMBot, mentioning that it'd be nice if I could set my stats to anything since I wanted to run some tests on the effects of eating corpses. He said "Have you seen the disassembly for the corpse eating function?" (he had it on his site). So, I learned assembly (had barely even seen it before then) and started working through all the corpse effects... eventually I got the same disassembly program he had and he sent me this big definition file so that I could work with the code with all his friendly definitions already in place =)

Somewhat long story, I guess I could've just said "I can look at the internal code.", but what fun would that be, hehe. So, if I don't already know something I can _usually_ just look it up in the code :) (Sometimes it's still too complicated to really understand completely; for example, all the code that generates the dungeon levels themselves is really weird and complicated.) I haven't been playing ADOM nearly as long as some of the older folk (I started well after 1.1.1 was released), and I've been with the community (newsgroup and now here) for a fairly short time, not even half a year I don't think.

So anyway, I should be able to answer most questions in-depth... especially if I'm interested in the result myself, hehe.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 at 12:18 (GMT -5)

How much do eating quickling king/queen and Filk shorten your lifespan? Is it worth to eat one if you are short-lived PC?
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 at 16:01 (GMT -5)

The reduce your maximum age by 25%. This will be the least noticeable with a low level PC, especially if you have longevity to cancel it out. However, the amount of speed they give isn't THAT much mroe than anything else, and I personally don't eat them (or even do the quickling tree at all) any more.

Here's the corpse effects:

Quickling Bard: [Cursed:5%:+2d3PP; Uncursed:25%:+2d3PP; Blessed:50%:+2d3PP], 16.7%:+1Ma, (1d5+2 Speed), -25%MaxAge
Quickling King: (1d5+2 Speed), -25%MaxAge
Quickling Lord: (1d4+1 Speed)
Quickling Queen: (1d5+2 Speed), -25%MaxAge
Quickling: (1d3 Speed)

So you'll only get 1.5 more chances at a speed increase, on average, from the royalty than you would from a lord. I prefer to chow down on these guys myself:

Killer Bug: -12Wi, (+6Dx) (+4 Speed)
Greater Claw Bug: -6Wi, (+3Dx), (+2 Speed)

And finally, here's the list that shows you your cahnces at an increase depending on what your current speed is:

0-119 : 100%
120-139: 57.95%
140-159: 15.90%
160-179: 3.88%
180+ : 0.78%

Current speed counting all modifiers, such as moloch armor or the slow monster spell. (D'oh, this reminded me, someone wanted me to test and make sure on slow monster, now to remember what post that was...)

Oh, and if you want to check any other corpse effects, check the corpse effects list at the wiki - http://adom.falldowngoboom.org/ )

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/29/2005 at 16:13 (GMT -5) by Twinge]
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 at 01:17 (GMT -5)

I casted slow monster on myself, wore a moloch armour and stripped all speed-increasing items off, my speed was then something like 72. Ate a lot of quicklings, no speed gain at all. When slow monster ended, my speed was 144. Still no effect whatsoever. I concluded that the speed reduce of moloch armors doesn't affect. There must be some kind of blocker to prevent that. But when eating ancient blue dragons, I gained more dexterity of course. To around 30 btw.

I don't like to eat bugs, because they reduce your willpower when you eat them.
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 at 01:58 (GMT -5)

Interesting; my mistake it appears, I guess it *is* based completely off your base speed for speed increases, and doesn't count any other modifiers (slow monster, moloch armor, or dex bonuses).

Speed bonuses from potions of quickling blood don't depend on your current speed at all though; they increase the same at 100 as they do past the 180 mark.

The willpower loss from bugs is easy enough to gain back from herbs, and you get a good dex gain as well... Might be more of a problem for heavy ball-spell users or mindcrafters, but even then it doesn't take long to get it back to 26ish if you've got some herb gardens going.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: