Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Amulet of life saving

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Stratch one
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 04:31 (GMT -5)

Can anybody give me an idea of getting an AoLS easier than wishing for it?
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4938 days, 49 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 05:29 (GMT -5)

Scum ID, gremlin scum, and be VERY lucky. You can try the Chaos roulette, if you are feeling desperate enough.

Chaos roulette involves dipping items to potions of raw chaos. They'll tranform into cursed random items of its kind. For example you dip a brass amulet into a potion of raw chaos and you can get a cursed amulet of life saving. But the amulet may also explode, causing some 100 damage and 1-3 corruptions. I've twice got an AoLS by CR and died at least twice. It is not worth it IMO, and I consider it the last chance.

Oh, and you can get PoRCs by dipping artifacts that 'contains essence of chaos and corruption' or Moon Sickle into random potions.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6507 days, 13 hours, 49 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 12:06 (GMT -5)

Don't ever do chaos roulette. It causes about 5-6 corruptions and isn't very likely to get you an AOLS. Gremlin-scumming is a much better idea, it gets you tons of useful other items as well as weapon marks.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Deaneus
Registered user
Accountant of War

Last page view:

6894 days, 6 hours, 1 minute and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 17:01 (GMT -5)

you can do the same thing with blessed potions of exchange, and chaos problems are not an issue then.
What do you wish for? _Drew Barrymore figurine
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 19:39 (GMT -5)

It's better to use potions of exchange on rings, so you can get RODS. I save all my potions of exchange till the end, then dip 19 rings in them.
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4898 days, 8 hours, 8 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 22:27 (GMT -5)

Don't the Gremlins get super hard after a while of killing them?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6832 days, 15 hours, 1 minute and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 23:38 (GMT -5)

They do. I'm currently looking for an AoLS or RoDS in the dwarven graveyard with gremlins I imported from the gremlin cave. According to their statistics, the toughest gremlin I fought had 149 hitpoints (two less than my character before she found a PoGA), and the most damage in one hit was 49. Considering my character is intrinsically invisible and has 70 dv, that doesn't sound too good...
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 1 hour, 3 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 at 05:26 (GMT -5)

I wonder how hard they get too.
I got a 28 hurtling wizard, and hes killed over 4700 of them in dwarven halls. The toughest one had 283 hitpoints, and hit for 115 damage. They are labelled 'extremely experienced'.
Is there an experience level above extremely experienced?
Or do they just become more exptremely experienced?
This char has done the chaotic quests, and fire orb, just needs darn amulet of life saving, and by jove, Ill get it....
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 at 06:29 (GMT -5)

Yeah, they do get pretty tough. For that reason it might be worth doing it in a more dangerous location than D:9 etc. Speaking of which, if you ever want a heap of early great stuff in exchange for a couple of corruptions, try gremlin-scumming on DH:2 - last time I tried it I got 3 dragon scale mails and a load of eternium weapons in about 5 minutes.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 at 06:28 (GMT -5)

Update - finally got my amulet of life saving.
My char was a hurtling wizard, and he did all things right, got good spear skill, nice spells.
He did all graves in dwarven graveyard. He did library & ToHK & Fire temple all without getting a wish or amulet. He did darkforge, drained all pools, got nothing. He then picked up a fluff ball from gremlin cave, and did gremlin trick in DH:1.
After he had killed over 6000 gremlins (almost all pickpocketed) he still had no amulet. Alchemy recipe for gain attributes was not too hard this time - I got about 25 of them
(ultra healing and youth, youth was longevity and invisibility, and longevity was extra healing and healing, extra healing was wonder and cure poison. Also booze was carrot juice + burb root, so I got that easy)
I then did the bug temple, quickling tree, minotaur maze and hung out in DH:2 a long while, till I was level 31.
I then got the mana absorb corruption, and after doing a "drop all wands", recharing a few more with scrolls and booze, I had 500-600 hit points and 700+ mana.

And here's the punchline:
Wizards DO get a guaranteed wish.
Spellbook from library, plus enough scumming.

I was able to cast Wish spell (at silvernight) quite easy.
With potions of boost toughness/mana I could have done so a lot sooner (forgot that HP's count twice.)
Also I guess if youre lucky enough to find a room with 20% less spell cost, or an armor which gives 20% boost to PP, Im thinking wish could be castable at real low levels.
(A char with 250 hps and 401 PP could do it, and these could be bootsed values.)
So if you wanna be sure about getting ultra, pick a wizard!

My first ever ultra btw, which was why I was so eager to get it.

P.S I didnt get any amulets or wishes for the rest of the game either.

P.P.S The corruption was never a problem. I had riurry remove corruptions at level 30. I ended game with 20 scrolls of chaos resistance too.

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 1/5/2005 at 06:36 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5822 days, 23 hours, 12 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 at 07:24 (GMT -5)

yes, I have neither got any amulets of wishing. :)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 07:16 (GMT -5)

I never said amulet of wish, I said amulet OR wish (which will generates amulet). And at the start of the post I said amulet of life saving, so thats what my abbreviated "amulet" later on refers to. So there :) :)

Update: I cast wish at 31, whats the lowest level anyone has managed to cast it?
Im thinking that level 18 wizard might be the lowest possible (40% spell reduction probably needed). Gremlin trick doesnt give much exp so it should be possible to keep exp level down.
However they'd need to do library to get spellbook.
Also - which character? High mana chars usually have low toughness - but then again toughness is easy to raise to 28-ish.
Talents - the +hp talents should work the best for surviving wish-casting.

What IS the lowest level anyone has cast wish? (and survived)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/6/2005 at 09:24 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5822 days, 23 hours, 12 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 08:45 (GMT -5)

Dunno, but that's pretty low. Oh I casted it at level 1 once, shame my character died doing it :E
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 10:39 (GMT -5)

I very vaguely seem to remember reading about a level 21 archmage on RGRA.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5602 days, 17 hours, 41 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 15:34 (GMT -5)

I'm sure a level 1 archmage would be possible. It would be a few steps harder than a level 1 chaos god, though.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Furey
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 at 14:51 (GMT -5)

I've got a "fluff-ball" and want to gremlin scum in the dwarven graveyard.

1. how do i do it?
2. why is Dwarven graveyard a good place?

Thanks
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 at 16:52 (GMT -5)

First you need to create a water trap. Wands of trap creation won't work. There is an exploitable bug, however. Dig a hole with a pick axe or a wand of digging (press 5 to dig downwards with the wand). Cover the hole with a blanket.

This should only be able to create a snakeless covered pit trap. What it actually does is create the corresponding trap type for the particular space you dig on.

The trap types for each square never change in the graveyard. There is always a water trap on the space to the north west of the north eastern corner of the outer mauselleum wall.

Like so:

....^..
#.####.
.....#.
####.#.
...#.#.

Once you've done this, you need to crate gremlins. Dip a fluff ball into a potion of water while standing next to the water trap. If no gremlin is created on the water trap lure one onto it.

Personally, I always stand in the doorway of the mauselleum;

IIIIII
IIIIII
##@####
......#

As long as you only kill the gremlin in one of the spaces, the other two adjacent gremlins will never move from their respective spots and you won't have to worry about taking on three uber-gremlins at once.
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 at 16:55 (GMT -5)

Copy and paste those diagrams to the reply message box to get a better idea of what they're ment to look like.

The graveyard is a good place to go because:

1) No background corruption.
2) No random monster generation.
3) Very high danger level leading to high level items generated.
4) As well as pick pocketing items generated, the gremlins will drop items at death. This would not happen if you went to the water dragon cave.
Furey
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 at 19:08 (GMT -5)

Thanks.

Alas, my poor wizard died b4 getting to use this (stupid water cave and 300 hp damage water-breathing sharks/eels/whatevers)

My brave dwarven fighter will make a go of it. Thanks for the help.

Dave.

Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 at 19:50 (GMT -5)

The best way to find AoLS is to search the ID around levels 20-30. ID every unIDed ring and amulet if you have the spell, or at intervals with scrolls if not. I figure that by the time you actually find an RoDS or AoLS, you should have advanced in level and skill enough to continue the game once you save Khelavaster.
ein
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 at 19:51 (GMT -5)

Ah... that post was from me; apparently the forum won't let me post with my account, even though I've already logged in. It has happened before...
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 at 17:47 (GMT -5)

Is there a specific level at which the odds are best, say level 24 because the ID has danger level divided by three and RoDS has a danger level of 8? What would be the best level for an AoLS - what is its danger level.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: