Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Things to wish for?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Korog
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 at 15:58 (GMT -5)

What are good things to wish for in Adom...? I knew good wishes in Nethack, but even playing Adom for a while I still dont figure out any nice wishes..

From spoilers I read that amulet of life saving is needed to save Khelv. (usually through wishing)

What else?
Can you wish for artifacts? what is the chance of success? I just need some answers before my next random wish is wasted.. :)
Duke Ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 at 17:04 (GMT -5)

i think you can wish for artifacts, should get a second opinion on that before you try it tho. ive wished for the Literacy skill before (that was w/ my best char too, i was impatient to read all the scrolls i'd collected). other good wishes i can think of: PoGA (if your stats are low, or you don't need much else), SoCR, amulet of life saving (i've only found 1! of these in the entire however long i've been playing. didn't even know i had it until i died...). also IMO food preservation is an important skill to wish for if you don't have it.
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6352 days, 9 hours, 42 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2001 at 22:45 (GMT -5)

You CANNOT wish for artifacts (and receive one). Good wishes are:

• Amulet of Life Saving
  • Potions of (Attribute)
  • Any skill except Healing and Alertness ("Healing" will heal the PC. "Alertness" will train PE.)
  • Scrolls of Chaos Resistance
  • Seven League Bootss (The extra 's' will ensure you get more than one.)
  • Girdles of Giant Strength
  • Spellbooks of (Spell)
  • Whips of the Snake (Any other weapon you like except ego-weapons also works. The same goes for armour, etc.)
  • Scrolls (Potions) of Education
  • Wands of Death
  • Wands of Destruction (Good for the Chaos Gate.)

I wouldn't recommend a potion of gain attributes. You'll only get one.

I've read some interesting things about wishes in v1.0.0. "Spellbooks" yields three or four random spellbooks. "Death" ages the character by several hundred years.
BonghBaya
Registered user

Last page view:

7888 days, 1 hour, 32 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 05:00 (GMT -5)

btw, i don't remember ever getting more than one GioGS or AoLS, with or without the extra 's'.

mYh34Df E3L5liK3aFRiSb3e
Arion
Registered user

Last page view:

7886 days, 5 hours, 27 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 05:19 (GMT -5)

What! Nobody's yet offered sheep or emperor moloch or any other of those "good" wishes. Shocking I say, just shocking. And it's almost been like... what, half a day in the forum. You really ought to be ashamed of yourselves... :D

"No more shiny ones. Oh well, back to lurking I guesses."
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5756 days, 13 hours, 35 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 06:42 (GMT -5)

I've never had more than one wish in a game, and it's always been for an AoLS. I'm a total newbie, and I figure that if I YASD while wearing it, then it was a sensible thing to wish for, and if I somehow get all the way to Khelavaster with my AoLS intact, it was still a sensible wish because I can give it to him.

I'm beginning to wonder whether it's really a wise choice after having had my wished-for AoLS destroyed several times. I've had it eaten by a rust monster, turned to dust by an angry deity, and in my current game, destroyed by an exploding rune on a door. How does everyone manage to keep their AoLS intact? I'm very disappointed about losing it, as this is my best game ever, and it looks as though I'll meet Khelavaster for the first time and won't have an AoLS for him :-(

BonghBaya, I can confirm from personal experience that wishing for "amulets of life saving" only gets you one.

Palagran, do you have access to "wizard mode", and if so, how did you get it? I'm just wondering why on earth anyone lucky enough to get a wish in a real game would wish for death.
Eva.
Portrait
Reaper
Registered user
The Templar

Last page view:

7544 days, 13 hours, 58 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 07:21 (GMT -5)

Maybe you could bless the AoLS. Dip it into a potion of holy water to get it blessed.

BLESSINGS
Money talks - All mine ever says is goodbye

Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7889 days, 15 hours, 25 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 07:27 (GMT -5)

A good way to keep your AoLS intact: Drop it someplace safe (Ogre Cave after having cleared it out for example), do whatever stuff you wanna do before going down as far as to Khelly. When you're ready to meet up with Khelly, fetch the amulet from the your "storage room" and run down to Khelly, avoiding all potential amulet threats like the plauge (perhaps even kicking down all doors in your way, clearing a path to Khelly, before picking up the amulet from your "storage room").

Arion: Why, wishing for sheep on D:50 with beewax plugging your ears will produce quite an interesting scene indeed... :) Without the beewax, a scene will surely be produced, though quite a short one... ;) Wishing for Emperor Moloch will produce alot of thumbs! One might wonder if it will be those AND's or the player's heart who will produce the loudest thumbs as the occasion arise... ;)

Locke Cole
Portrait
Reaper
Registered user
The Templar

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 07:30 (GMT -5)

Did the picture come to my post? Do you see it?

Portrait
Reaper
Registered user
The Templar

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 07:37 (GMT -5)

YEA!!!! Nyt rulettaa! Isn't that great!

you guys should visit This Great 3d pictures site For excample my picture is from there. It's a quality place...

[Edited at 07:38, Wednesday, November 07, 2001 by Reaper]

Portrait
Reaper
Registered user
The Templar

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 07:44 (GMT -5)

3043 or sumthin' like that it was... Rather boring... But I don't have to do anything so It's OK. Computer Graphics course is fun. You should have tried it out Kayaman.

duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 10:57 (GMT -5)

is it possible to do a wish in the chaos gate? if so... (goes in chaos gate w/ a blessed ring of djinni summoning. plugs ears w/ beeswax. wishes for a Banshee)
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 23:35 (GMT -5)

Nah, I don't have Wizard Mode access. I read this stuff on the newsgroup. There are people around that like to save-scum for experimentation. :P
Kayaman
Registered user

Last page view:

7722 days, 23 hours, 26 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2001 at 02:39 (GMT -5)

Wish for onmipotation!:D
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2001 at 04:26 (GMT -5)

Palagran, I'm a Nethacker and Nethackers think that savescumming is Evil (but they have explore mode and wizard mode for experimentation).

Locke, thanks for the helpful advice on keeping an AoLS intact. I shall undoubtedly follow it next time. Until last night, I had never got as far as Khelly, and was wishing for an AoLS primarily to save myself if (when) I got killed. I did meet him for the first time last night, I had to let him die, and soon afterwards I was killed by the Snake from Beyond.
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2001 at 23:19 (GMT -5)

Yes, savescummers are evil.
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5653 days, 20 hours, 3 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2001 at 23:34 (GMT -5)

i do it on occasion. only if i'm experimenting. if there was a explore mode or wizard mode etc. for ADOM i'd use it instead.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

7921 days, 2 hours, 29 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2001 at 04:29 (GMT -5)

What does wishing for "Sheep" do? And what's the point of wising for "Emporer Molochs", wouldn't that just give you a great oppertunity to get yourself killed?

Sengoku
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2001 at 05:39 (GMT -5)

Sengoku: IIRC wishing for Sheep results in Banshee appearing (parser mistake). And wishing for emperor moloch results in MANY greater molochs (hostile). A good way to gain levels quick if one has a real kick-ass character.
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5820 days, 20 hours and 51 minutes ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2001 at 20:08 (GMT -5)

I believe AoLS are indestructable (or blessed ones atleast)...
i wore one once while scumming the blue dragon caves testing to see if there's a maximum limit to the number of artefacts that can generate in a game. My girdles of carrying and cloaks and helmets and SLB's and everything were destroyed. But not my AoLS. (i did this for many hours, and went through many lots of eq, killed thousands of dragons).

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2001 at 13:50 (GMT -5)

Nah, AoLS is not indestructable. AFAIK, there's no exception to the rule that only artifects are the only items that are indestructable. On the other hand, AoLS has been so rare for me that I have not had enough experince with them to be sure.

Locke Cole
Arion
Registered user

Last page view:

7886 days, 5 hours, 27 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2001 at 01:39 (GMT -5)

Locke: You're quite right about those thumbs : ) I still remember the first time I wished for emperor moloch (in my savescumming days, way way back...) I had read in the ng that something interesting happens when when you wish for emperor moloch.
And something interesting did happen: first, my heart skipped a beat, then all color drained from my face (according to a friend who was watching me play), then I began to furiously think a way out of the barbarian glade (that's where I wished for him/them) then my char died : ) OK, I decided that's been tested. No need to test it again... I later did manage to kill those GM's with another character, but that's another story.

"No more shiny ones. Oh well, back to lurking I guesses."
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 12, 2001 at 04:40 (GMT -5)

The only times I wish for emperor moloch is when I do some research and need experience quickly. I WADOMF my PC's to the extreme when I do research so those GM's are no probs at all. (Acid ball + Wi 99... ;))

Locke Cole
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 at 00:23 (GMT -5)

Ok i've done some research. AoLS is definately not indestructable. But it takes a lot to destroy one. I spent about 10 minutes casting improved fireball on myself and nothing, and another 10 casting lightning bolt between two walls and nothing. But when i took them to the tower of eternal flames they burned up

note: these tests were on g16p2 due to the fact i lost my saved games in version 1 when i switched computers, it may of changed since then.

This seems to indicate that they have a semi-resistance type nature. Like a fireproof blanket. And i've never seen one fall to lightning, so perhaps they're immune to that. I've done a *lot* of dragon cave scumming for artefact testing.

Also blessed ones will last longer in the tower of eternal flames then unblessed ones.

Moral of the story: Don't wear your AoLS in the tower of eternal flames without blessed ring of ice and no cursed/doomed status. And don't take it off at other times.

Adomer from Australia.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 at 04:39 (GMT -5)

Dougy: you tested them with fire and lightning, but did you test them with exploding door traps? That's how I lost mine (but it wasn't blessed at the time). How about acid? Stone blocks? Doors falling on you? Any other source of item destruction that I've forgotten about?

And... do other amulets share this immunity, or is it special to AoLS?

Sorry about all the questions. I don't want to start savescumming for experimentation in case it tempts me to cheat in a real game.
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2001 at 01:18 (GMT -5)

Heh... Once I was trying out a dark elf ranger and was pool-scumming in th PC hoping to get something nice. I was REALLY surprised (to say the least) when I suddenly got the message "What do you wish for ?" (my first pool-wish EVER) just for fun I chose eternium long swords and got two - one standard and one of penetration (IIRC hateful eternium long sword of penetration). Nice. Too bad I got greedy and tried to get another wish (or something nice). I guess everyone can guess what happened...
Kayaman
Registered user

Last page view:

7722 days, 23 hours, 26 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2001 at 07:09 (GMT -5)

J, WhyTF ya wished for eternium longswords, swords of sharpness are better.
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 16, 2001 at 09:04 (GMT -5)

Swords of sharpness are nice, though eternium swords tend to last longer since swords of sharpness are quite fragile, IMHO.

Locke Cole
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7753 days, 8 hours, 57 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 08, 2002 at 11:37 (GMT -5)

Dougy I don't think that protection of blessed ring of ice is perfect. Sometime ago I have penetrated ToEF with red dragon scale mail and blessed RoI. I was very confused when on first level of ToEF my blessed GoGS just burned. What an misfortune;) When you have immunity to fire and blessed RoI cloaks are easily burned in fire, but in that insatnce my normal hooded cloak surivied. I don't understand this.
Hmmmmmmmmmm it's stupid method to get rid of cursed or autolocking or trapped items, go to TOEF;)

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, March 08, 2002 at 17:18 (GMT -5)

Or that companion you want killed...

Dooming and cursing has a large impact on weather your stuff burns. I have never seen an item burn from my body while blessed, fate smiled and worn a ring of ice. It's practically perfect. (besides who spends long in there? in and out.)

Much like how if you put a million monkeys in front of a million type writers one'll eventually write a shakespeare just by chance.

Adomer from Australia.

Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: