Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Writing SoEducation

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6962 days, 23 hours, 4 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 at 15:24 (GMT -5)

I'm going to spend a wish on scrolls of education... and I would like to create some more then, as I have blessed writing set with 5 charges :). Will it lower my mana stat? In the guidebook it says that writing SoCR lowers mana permanently and that you can suffer physical damage while writing. Is it the same with education ones?
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 at 15:37 (GMT -5)

As far as I know writing scrolls of education does not lower mana - although I can only confirm this for the wizard characters I have played (haven't tried with other characters). You sure you want to use a wish on scrolls of education? I can think of other items I would prioritise depending on how far in the game I am and what ending I am striving for.
Some guy *u*
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 at 15:55 (GMT -5)

I'm sure it must lower mana, scrolls of education are a very powerful scroll. Level 50 wizards would suffer the smallest penalty, though.
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 at 16:52 (GMT -5)

Gozer: yup, quite sure... no need for AoLS, first wish went to 7lbs, now got second RoDS... I'd like some nice new skills, and I could wish for only one, but from scrolls I can get several and if I write more that would be quite a lot :). Random ones of course - going to test my luck ;). (char: lvl 19 GE wiz, going for ultra I think)
mopgoblin
Registered user

Last page view:

6950 days, 9 hours and 26 minutes ago.
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 at 19:31 (GMT -5)

I'm pretty sure a high level wizard won't lose mana writing scrolls of education using a blessed writing set and blessed blank scrolls. Not sure about a level 19 wizard, but I expect it wouldn't drop by more than one with blessed materials. Anyway, a wizard should have no trouble training mana back up.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4932 days, 11 hours, 6 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 at 00:46 (GMT -5)

Even lvl 50 wizards DO lose 1 mana while writing SoE. Don't know about lvl 19, but probably more. And other classes probably drain about 5-10. And you need some pps to write one, so make sure you have enough.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 at 03:16 (GMT -5)

Wrote 5 scrolls. NO mana loss (used blessed writing set and blessed scrolls). Each used about 70pp. But the results of reading weren't interesing :/.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 at 05:17 (GMT -5)

How come? My lvl 50 hurthling wizard wrote over 30 SoE (after winning, in the ID). And every single scroll drained 1 mana. What is your PC's race? And what version of ADOM do you have? Mine is 1.1.1
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 at 12:38 (GMT -5)

version is 1.1.1, gray elven wizard. Maybe it has sth to do with status of the set and scroll? I used both blessed.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 at 04:11 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I checked it. If you use a uncursed scroll/writing set, it costs 1 mana. If you use both blessed, there is no cost. I had either uncursed scrolls or writing sets when I was writing those SoE.
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 at 04:36 (GMT -5)

So now we now Yet Another Thing About ADoM Mechanics ;D
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 11 hours, 20 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 at 06:57 (GMT -5)

This is in the guidebook.
That both need to be blessed I mean...

I tried a few wishes for SoE. Casting wish spell)
I think I got 2-4 when wishing, mabye only 3 max.
But of course, crap skills.
There being so many skills to get, Im thinking that wishing for the one you want almost always will work out better.
Only way to get alertness and healing though.

Btw is there any need to bless the scroll before reading it? I would think that this wont increase the chance of getting a good skill (cuz the game wont know which we consider good), but that the skill level will be higher.
They should probably be un-cursed though.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/12/2005 at 06:58 (GMT -5) by Molach]
mopgoblin
Registered user

Last page view:

6950 days, 9 hours and 26 minutes ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 at 08:15 (GMT -5)

I've got four from a wish before. You probably get 2d2, perhaps influenced by lucky etc.

As for blessing the scroll, while the game won't know which skills are good, it may be set up to increase the chance of giving a new skill rather than increasing your ability at something you already have. If not, it still costs only one holy water to bless a decent-sized pile of scrolls, so it's probably worthwhile just for the higher starting values.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/12/2005 at 08:16 (GMT -5) by mopgoblin]
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

In the guidebook it said that they need to be the same aligment (both blessed or both uncursed) because char can take some damage if they are not.
I think blessing SoE is generally a good idea if you have some holy water to spend, it probably gives a better increase than the uncursed one.
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 at 01:50 (GMT -5)

From my experience, blessed SoEs give much higher chance for new skills rather than increasing old skills, than uncursed.
Arch-mage
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 at 12:50 (GMT -5)

If you use blessed WS and blessed blank scroll you'll produce _blessed_ scroll of smth.
Twinge
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 at 20:28 (GMT -5)

"I've got four from a wish before. You probably get 2d2, perhaps influenced by lucky etc."

Correct, for most items you wish for you get 2d2 items - NOT influenced by luck, though.

Education is the 2nd hardest scroll to scribe, right below chaos resistance. I have yet to work out the entire formula, but here are the scrolls with increased difficulty:

Item Creation: Base * 4
Increase Melee Accuracy/Damage: Base * 5
Protection/Defense: Base * 6
Education: Base * 7
Chaos Resistance: Base * 10

The B/U/C status of the equipment is definately important, so bless both the kit and the scroll before you try anything hard. Wizards (and, IIRC, some of the other spellcaster classes to a lesser degree) have a bonus for writing as is expected. Finally, I think I saw that monks do not lose any mana when scribing scrolls in the code, but i haven't tested this in game yet.

You probably should've wished for magical writing sets; if you can scribe education without losing mana you'd net quite a few more scrolls in this way (About 3 times as much? I forget the average charges on a writing set). Also remember you can dip scrolls in REGULAR water to turn them into blank scrolls (use stacks of darkness or other common stuff) so having enough of that shouldn't be a problem either.

Hmm, this forum is more active and potentially worthwhile than I thought when I made my first post. I might actually come back (and actually register) ;)
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 at 06:02 (GMT -5)

Well, I would wish for writing sets but to write SoE I think one needs to identify one in this particular game, and I had none :(. As for scrolls, if you don't have anything useless, you can get quite a lot from the ratling rebel, pile 'em and then treat with water.
Möwe
Registered user

Last page view:

6602 days, 11 hours, 30 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 at 03:17 (GMT -5)

I can report on writing scrolls with a drakeling monk (adom 1.1.1 winbeta4). I wrote 5 scrolls of education and 4 scrolls of chaos resistance. I used blessed magical writing sets and blessed blank scrolls. My character level was 50, Mana score around 50. I had no problems at all, every try was a success, I didn't lose any mana, SoCR costed around 200 PP.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/25/2005 at 03:17 (GMT -5) by Möwe]
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5188 days, 12 hours, 23 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 at 14:34 (GMT -5)

As I said, I'm pretty sure monks never lose mana from writing scrolls unless I interpreted the code wrong. Needs to be further tested with a low-mana low-level monk to really say for sure though.
Möwe
Registered user

Last page view:

6602 days, 11 hours, 30 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 at 03:04 (GMT -5)

Ok. I tested a bit with another Drakeling Monk. (By the way, I find drakeling monks a very easy race/class combination, they survive my at times very careless playing style well.)
As far as I can say, it's true, that monks never lose mana from writing scrolls.

Writing Scrolls of Chaos Resistance
Details:
1. ChLV.12; Mana score 10
blessed writing set + blessed blank scroll
costed 49/49 PP and 75/158 HP,
first try was a success.
2. ChLV.12; Mana score 10
blessed writing set + uncursed blank scroll
costed 55/55 PP and 100/155 HP,
second try was a success.
3. ChLV.18; Mana score 12
uncursed writing set + uncursed blank scroll