Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Surges

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4932 days, 13 hours, 52 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 at 04:35 (GMT -5)

I just got a surge in the DH1 (BoW :) guarded by an extremely experienced bear, it was actually harder to kill than a mimic hivemind on same level). On the next level a balor suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and when I tried to flee, I saw an emperor lich summoning help... Luckily I managed to escape the level, thanks to my wand of teleportation.

My question is: what are the odds to get a surge of power? I have on 'very rare' occasions got two surges in a single game, rarely one and mostly none at all.

And as we know, the amount of greater vaults are pre-determined (aren't they?), but are the artifacts they contain as well?
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/14/2005 at 04:37 (GMT -5) by Ashandarei]
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3892 days, 6 hours, 28 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 at 09:24 (GMT -5)

The chance of getting a surge is really low, I've only gotten one surge in my whole playing carreer(the black tome), and I've beaten the game about 7 or 8 times
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5597 days, 6 hours, 44 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 14, 2005 at 17:04 (GMT -5)

I've found pretty many surges, but some were in cheated games and many were in games I never finished. Out of six properly finished games, I've found one surge that I remember, black tome in BDC. Though I probably had more surges than that in finished games. I just can't remember at the moment.

The amount and location of vaults is either decided when you first enter the dungeon, or when you start the game. Not sure which. However, I'm pretty sure that surges aren't predetermined. I think I tested that once.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 at 04:41 (GMT -5)

Determined an game's beginning:

Vaults
Bee Hives
Ant Nests (Cause Twinge's page is unsure of these 2)

Generated with map:

Surges
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 at 04:44 (GMT -5)

And while I've never finished the game, and stopped save scumming, I find that I get a surge of power about once a fortnight.

BoW
Executor
Rune Covered Club
Ironfist
Preserver

These come to mind as some of those generated by recent surges. Plenty of others.
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 at 07:53 (GMT -5)

Never got a surge. Then again, never finished the game either. Boredom strikes after water temple and I decide to try another classs :\
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6963 days, 1 hour, 50 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 at 10:27 (GMT -5)

Surges unfortunately are very rare. And if you find them they usually are crap, like the black tome or rune covered sling. Fortunately the guardians are crap also :). At least usually - I had a surge in UD:1 recently and got killed by crystal statue :(. Level 1 thief was too weak ;).
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 at 02:51 (GMT -5)

Surges are not always crap. I've found at least BoW, Wyrmlance, Ironfist, Serpent's bite and Skullcrusher. But I agree that getting a surge, killing say an experienced stone golem at low level and anxiously picking up the artifact, seeing the Black tome or Thunderstroke or something such IS very annoying indeed.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5817 days, 12 hours, 15 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 at 04:19 (GMT -5)

I think I have got BoW, ironfist, skullcrusher and that cric hitting dagger. And ofcourse then comes the shitloads of black tomes. :E
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

562 days, 11 hours, 38 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 at 04:24 (GMT -5)

What is Thunderstroke again?
Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 at 05:07 (GMT -5)

"Obsidian quarrel "Thunderstroke" (+8, 20d4+8)"

It is a crossbow quarrel. Nice damage, but there is only one missile. Quite useless, as is "true aim". A bunch of about 20 humanoid slaying arrows/quarrels is a lot better.
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6963 days, 1 hour, 50 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 at 05:29 (GMT -5)

And archers can be crowned with this crap :/.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 at 04:17 (GMT -5)

Yeah, but they do get a longbow/heavy crossbow and some arrows/quarrels too, depending whether the gift is True aim or Thunderstroke. But still all but useless. Every time I play an archer I dream of Sun's messenger. Oh how I love that thing :)
Twinge
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 at 20:15 (GMT -5)

Wow, my page still sucks and is rather far from being a good readbale source of information and it's already being referenced? Impressive.

Surges of power happen when an artifact randomly appears as one of the items that starts on the ground when a dungeon level is spawned. Since artifacts themselves are so rare, surges are rare as well. Every level you generate will start with either 1d6 or 2d3 (depending on class; the classes that should get more are the ones that get less :/) items on the floor. I estimate the chances of getting at least one in a whole game (visiting at least some of the optional areas like the rift) is about 31%.

...I've yet to actually SEE a greater vault in game ;/
Portrait
p_ouji
Registered user
Hikari no Yuusha

Last page view:

6900 days, 18 hours, 38 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 at 04:24 (GMT -5)

The obsidian quarrel ain't half bad as a crown or precrowning. The PC gets a regular heavy crossbow, small stack of eternium quarrels, and a pretty big stack of quarrels of slaying. Those slaying quarrels are quite nice. Getting Thunderstroke as an item drop (vault, uselessness, etc) sucks hard.

BTW: What are the chances of greater vaults being generated upon PC creation anyway? Does it have anything to do with class?
- p_ouji
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 00:56 (GMT -5)

"The obsidian quarrel ain't half bad as a crown or precrowning." Well, maybe not, but compare it to Sun's messenger or Farslayer ;)
*cobaltofdoom*
Registered user

Last page view:

6814 days, 11 hours, 48 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 at 04:05 (GMT -5)

ive never done ring wish engine or boosted my stats to 99 (well only once) but a vault of greater undead really sucks so be happy about that the rest arent very hard at all unless you get a dragon vault that is Karmyc , that was annoying even with a barbarian with vanquisher

my last fighter had SIX surges of power through the game First Bracers of War , iron fists , robes of resistance, scorched spear , jet black battle axe and preserver
Furey
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 at 19:31 (GMT -5)

I've finished 3 games now, and had my first surge in this game...level one of CoC IIRC, and i got the scorched spear. Not bad for an early dwarven warrior. :)

Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5878 days, 16 hours, 24 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 at 00:46 (GMT -5)

I once experienced the "surge of power," but my PC died before I could find it. I forget what my PC was. I found out in whatever you call that eulogy thing that it was Whirlwind.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3892 days, 6 hours, 28 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 at 07:55 (GMT -5)

I find random artifact drops more common than surges of power. Anyone else experienced the same?
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
pernicion
Registered user
High Pernicion

Last page view:

6217 days, 1 hour, 13 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 at 01:27 (GMT -5)

Yep.
The kobold cringes in pain
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5607 days, 15 hours, 9 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 at 03:40 (GMT -5)

Morio: yep, noticed it too. Especially in the BDC it's easy to gather numerous artifacts by spending some quality time slaughtering dragons. Surges OTOH IME IIRC are about as rare as hen's teeth.

Oh, and I once got Ironfist from a black dragon encounter in the wilderness.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 at 01:40 (GMT -5)

"OTOH IME IIRC" What ever does this mean?? :)

That's true Morio.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5607 days, 15 hours, 9 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 at 01:54 (GMT -5)

Ash: OTOH = On The Other Hand
IME = In My Experience
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

Granted, the IME and IIRC maybe don't quite fit together.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6808 days, 21 hours, 23 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 at 05:22 (GMT -5)

Ive lurked in these forums for a while, this is my first real post since it relates to something extremely unique about my experience with ADOM.

I have a strange relationship with Surges.

To date i have experienced 17 surges of power on PC:2 (recorded them all) out of only 20 total surges since i started writing them down. Given that ive gone through prehaps over one thousand characters, i'd say surges are an extreme rarity.

The 3 surges that havent happened in the Pup Cave have been battleaxe executor (one of my favorite weapons despire the cursing), and twice BoW. I have gone on to finish ULE with all three of these characters. They have all been uniformly Elven paladins. (one dark, one high, one grey)

The 17 surges on PC:2 have, without fail, all led to extremely dissapointing deaths. Some dead deep in the CoC, some early promising deaths.

On a side note, this has nothing to do with surges... but i realized that i have never yet finished the game with a non-paladin. 3 ULE with elven paladins, and a handful of regular victories with an elven, dwarven and human paladins.
alex_rs
Registered user
ahah ADOM lamer

Last page view:

6919 days, 5 hours, 4 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 at 15:05 (GMT -5)

hm i got only one on puppy`s cave and the reward was rune-covered sling....hm i think for my hurtling wiz lvl11 with 6 lvl sling mastery wasnt too bad really
alex_rs™

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: