Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / rougelike multiplayer?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

demented_yam
Registered user
yaaarrrrrghhhh!

Last page view:

6936 days, 21 hours, 32 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 at 08:03 (GMT -5)

hello, i wanted to know if there exists, out there somewhere, an online rougelike multiplayer game. (like WoW, but in ASCII)

if there isn't, i would like to ask some people a few questions about the possibility of making one.

i know pascal and am learning flash and java.

the place that i'm really stuck on is the php. does anyone know anything about this that they can teach me? or am i going to have to figure it all out by myself?

&ect.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/25/2005 at 08:05 (GMT -5) by demented_yam]
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4500 days, 20 hours, 8 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 at 18:32 (GMT -5)

Try TomeNET.
Get the client at www.c-blue.de/rogue.html
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1220 days, 9 hours, 54 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 at 15:31 (GMT -5)

Theres also Mangband, though thats horrible compared to Tomenet
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 at 12:58 (GMT -5)

One of the major drawbacks of the existing multiplayer angbands is the feature that makes the game keep processing "idle" commands for 20-30 seconds after the client disconnects from the server when the player exits the game in a dungeon for any reason (for example a loss of connection). Of course, half of the time, the character you played is dead when you reconnect.
This made me stop playing TomeNET after a bunch of high level characters died in that (stupid and unavoidable) way.
At this point, I'm spending the time I used to spend playing TomeNET coding my own real-time based roguelike, and it is going well. I just need to add a few features and balance a few aspects of the game and then I'm gonna start a research on how I could make that game multiplayer. I just hope it isn't gonna take me another 5 years to do so...
On a side note, I've read that ToME, the single player roguelike, will be made multiplayer when version 4 is out. Considering that the actual version is 2.3, I dunno when this will actually be the case though...
sam
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 at 20:32 (GMT -5)

try EUO ultima online,, its a bit like RL games and its free!
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3594 days, 9 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 at 05:15 (GMT -5)

PowerWyrm, do you have a website or something? Because I would like to see the progress you made in with the game, or at least post here about your game.
For the Horde!
BcotN
Registered user
SoaD junkie

Last page view:

6502 days, 13 hours, 10 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 at 17:00 (GMT -5)

ToMEnet is pretty intense! I love it.

I thought it'd be somewhat lame, but it's actually pretty good. as soon as you know what you're doing
You die...
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 at 05:53 (GMT -5)

http://monsite.wanadoo.fr/powerwyrm to see my progress with my RL game. ATM the single player version is almost complete (version 0.9.7 on the way). I tested all classes and they work well, and I think all the features I wanted to add are now in.
In the meantime, I started to code the MP version using C++ Builder and the Server/Client socket component that comes with it. It's so simple to use... one Connect/Disconnect method + one event OnRead to handle data transfer between clients and server. However I am facing major problems with the coding... packet transfer takes roughly 60ms which lowers the frame rate a lot, sometimes I get errors when I connect more than one client, and so on... I guess coding a MP game isn't that easy.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: