Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Clearing vault

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Agier
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 at 08:47 (GMT -5)

I'm trying to clear a greater undead vault with a level 50 char that already closed the gate. I already killed 7 emperor liches but im really struggling. They summon way too much, including greater karmyc gragons and so on... Anyone have tips on how to finish it ? Also, how many emperor liches are there on average ?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3870 days, 11 hours, 59 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 at 09:11 (GMT -5)

Which class are you playing? If you play a pure melee char, then it's a bit hard, but you could maybe try wands of poison on the liches (not sure if it works).
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 at 09:57 (GMT -5)

Oops, im playing a gnomish wizard.
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6941 days, 7 hours and 22 minutes ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 at 14:53 (GMT -5)

Acid Ball and improved fireball. If you're low on mana, teleport out, wait till it regenerates, come back. The downside is that you'll destroy all the nice random dropped stuff... but if you've already won I don't think you care much ;).
Phibby&Dol
Registered user
Incarnation of Illu

Last page view:

6964 days, 15 hours, 44 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 at 19:46 (GMT -5)

My tips is to hide in a corridor while the emperor liches are in a room. When they can't see you they won't summon anything =) The next step is to cast bolt spells (magic missile and lightning) that can bounce at walls. Diagonally the bolt can enter the room and kill everything inside.
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 04:53 (GMT -5)

Liches will shrug off the bolts. And even if they don't, they'll heal themselves. You can also try to ball them from other side of the wall (balls penetrate stone).
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4910 days, 19 hours, 23 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 05:24 (GMT -5)

Hm, leave it alone. It's my advice. If you've alredy closed the gate, what is the point of fighting liches?
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4928 days, 6 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 15:46 (GMT -5)

Hey, clearing an undead vault is it´s own reward.
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5585 days, 20 hours, 40 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 at 01:17 (GMT -5)

You could try raising MA and WI to 99 by scumming for stat potions and raise magic missile to around level 100 and zap inside at an angle somewhat like this:

###############
###############@
      L\/\/\/\/
###############
###############

At high level magic missile is *REALLY* deadly. The Liches may shrug them off every now and then but they should fall eventually.

J.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 at 11:39 (GMT -5)

Except that they every now and then heal themselves :P. I still say that leave it alone.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3571 days, 16 hours, 6 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 at 11:51 (GMT -5)

carefull when u use magick missile. I lost my fav wizard, called Harry Potter when I got very far in the game, I accidentaly shot my self in a tunnel and when I died I had about -271.(and that was only 23 effectivity
For the Horde!
Ashandarei_
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 at 12:04 (GMT -5)

Heh, try zapping a wand of farslaying in a corridor with 2000 pp and 99 Wi ;)
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 at 17:11 (GMT -5)

Mewto: with this name no wonder he zapped himself ;D
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 at 09:30 (GMT -5)

If he had been Ron then I'd agree zapping himself would be natural. But Harry is a Hero!
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 at 11:37 (GMT -5)

I came across my first ever vault at about 12 o'clock to day (GMT).

A greater Undead Vault (I assume - tougher undead than what I got would be scary).

Wands of door creation
Magic lock or keys
Magic Missile.

These 3 combined cleared the vault quite easily.

However acid ball had to be used against the two emperor liches.

Took more than 3 hours of playing for my wizard to clear it though and more than 4000 magic missile "memory" charges (started with over 6000).
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5575 days, 12 hours, 15 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 at 21:45 (GMT -5)

I killed off two greater undead vaults with a level 50 drakling monk, almost completely by reusing my ammo of undead slaying, and one of those had 10 emperor liches in it. Magic isn't too necessary.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5795 days, 17 hours, 46 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 at 09:41 (GMT -5)

magic is for cowards.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 at 11:30 (GMT -5)

No it isn't. Magic is for those who dare to use it :P

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/6/2005 at 11:30 (GMT -5) by Ashandarei]
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 at 12:14 (GMT -5)

Magic is a talent, not a skill. It cannot be learned, and it can also be a blessing and a curse.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 at 13:18 (GMT -5)

Magic is damn powerful but not reliable... bolts can be shrugged off, balls can be resisted by some creatures, mana can be sucked by blue eyes ;)))) or you can simply run out of it... Whereas a good weapon in hands of skilled fighter is impossible to avoid ;).
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 at 13:38 (GMT -5)

Dude, what's so cool about being a fighter or a barbarian? I dont like chars that melee only, a paladin or priest are great, because they can cast spells and fight. In every kool books, like Feist's and Edding's characters usually wield a sword but are also talented magicians. I think that's what makes the books sell, even though the idea is quite old now. Few people like pure fighters nowadays. Even archers are better IMO.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 at 15:13 (GMT -5)

Well, I don't know, but for some reason I meleed a lot with a wizard... And a priest is no better in combat than a wizard, just has better starting equipment, so it seems so.

And archers... a bit too easy I think, with those all arrows or quarrels of slaying... ;)
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5795 days, 17 hours, 46 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 at 02:51 (GMT -5)

umm... you mean the head character, right? I don't remember that many others capable of spell casting at edding's... :x
agier
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 at 10:21 (GMT -5)

Thanks, managed to clear it simply by casting tons of spells. Only bad part was emperor liches healing themselves.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 at 11:15 (GMT -5)

Sparhawk, Flute,...

Guinea, I also melee a lot with a wiz, and I think that a priest is tougher than a wizard. A priest also gets item detect skill or whatever which is my fav skill after backstabbing. Another reason why I think a priest is a better meleer, look at the heir gift:
And look at a wizard's
For the Horde!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/7/2005 at 11:18 (GMT -5) by Mewto]
Arch-mage
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 at 00:40 (GMT -5)

The wizards is most tought class in the game, as ONLY wizards can have grand mastery in all weapons, speed about 2000 and all skills at 100 in 90 days
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 at 03:43 (GMT -5)

Why would wizards have grand mastery in all weapons in 90 days? They increase weapon skills much slower than other classes, and you'd have to start using weapons from day 1 or so. And that's impossible for a wizard if he doesn't have a spell like cure serious wounds. If you want to achieve grand mastery by using the wish system, u'll have to scum the Id and wilderness for a lot of potions, and that takes time, usually more than 90, I think
For the Horde!
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6480 days, 8 hours, 23 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 at 14:00 (GMT -5)

beh...
I cleared two greater undead vaults in a row with a necromancer at lower than level 50. they're easy peasy.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Arch-mage
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 at 02:17 (GMT -5)

I have saved game with level 47 wizard, who has all grand masteries, all skills at 100 and speed about 1000 at day 77. Moreother, he has 12K PP, so he can cast wish from book 3 times in a row. And his saves himself about 10 times.
This char clears great undead vault with magic missile on CLVL 30. It was about 5 emperor liches.
Portrait
XaXeXiXoXu
Registered user
Ancient Weight Dragon

Last page view:

6947 days, 19 hours, 11 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 04:18 (GMT -5)

I had one game where *2* greater undead vaults were generated, one on the level below the first. It takes a lot of patience, and lots of undead slaying ammo. Lure out the liches, be a grand master of bows/crossbows etc., wear all to-hit improving gear, go berserk, and peg them before they can heal. Apparently the rune-covered trident no longer slays undead :(

In a pinch, I've killed them with javelins of death, drakish scurgari of death... anything that does massive damage. The trick is to hit them consistently, so you may want to travel the wilderness some more to improve your missile weapon skills.
XaXeXiXoXu, the ancient weight dragon, breathes weight at you! You are suddenly overburdened!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: