Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Best chances for an AoLS?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 at 02:26 (GMT -5)

Ok - I know this question has come up SOOO many times. Please forgive me - I just don't have the patience for searching dozens of thread listings!

So I have looked for an AoLS in all the obvious places (pools, graves, etc.) and found nothing. So my question is: what will give me the best statistical likelihood of finding an AoLS/RoDS/WoWi?

(1) Scumming the ID
(2) Scumming gremlin pickpocketing in the water cave

Any other possible scum strategies that I may have missed out on?
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5822 days, 6 hours, 34 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 at 02:49 (GMT -5)

scum gremlins at d:9, it's easier.. you don't have to apply skills :c
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6967 days, 20 hours, 10 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 at 03:03 (GMT -5)

Well, maybe D:8...Twinge said chance for RoDS is 3% there... so you just need about 30 rings generated there ;)
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5193 days, 9 hours, 28 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 at 14:32 (GMT -5)

gremlins in the water dragon lair is the best by far, but it's SO good that it's really _too_ exploitable; very over-powered.

Otherwise, you can try exchange or raw chaos (most likely on rings at D:8, otherwise amulets at D:2); there's a lot of info about this in the newsgroup, google it.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6831 days, 22 hours, 23 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 at 16:41 (GMT -5)

Does the water dragon teleport to you if you enter the dungeon and she's mad?
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 at 19:21 (GMT -5)

What would be the problem with gremlin scumming on D:8 then?

I like going to the graveyard to do it because I can get lots of other useful stuff that I may not be able to get in at D:8, but if I was singlemindedly going for a RoDS and keeping in mind the high generation of rings (in my experience) from gremlin scumming as opposed to normal game play, wouldn't that be the best way to get an AoLS?
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 at 19:28 (GMT -5)

And by best I mean statistically quickest.

I know I've said this before but since gremlins don't drop any equipment on death in the WDL, it is (in my mind) not worth the effort. The best side effect to gremlin scumming is the other stuff you can get - much of it weighing in excess of 10s. I've had a charachter gremlin scum who didn't need to do so (already had fire immunity, rings of ice and AoLS) just for the armour and weapons generated.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 at 20:39 (GMT -5)

Hmm... I've tried the water dragon lair, but gremlins don't seem to drop anything. I suppose my pickpocketing skill is too low, but the best I managed to steal was 303 gold pieces.

What is the BEST place to scum gremlins for RoDS? I hear many different things.
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6292 days, 2 hours, 36 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 at 23:15 (GMT -5)

You should try the shops, place all the shop items on 1 square so it will restock, especially Waldenbrook's, also you might want to randomly pick pocket, dragon hunt, etc.
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 at 04:01 (GMT -5)

But shops have a reduced chance of generating a wish item than any other part of the level on which they're generated.

I would recommend this tactic in all shops, and do it myself in every shop I enter, but, while I did recieve a pair of 7LBs this way (one of 4 generated in the early-mid game in that game), it is unlikely to yield an AoLS.
Portrait
XaXeXiXoXu
Registered user
Ancient Weight Dragon

Last page view:

6974 days, 7 hours, 59 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 04:10 (GMT -5)

Try making a gremlin pickpocket "jail" on D:9, then read about 5-7 scrolls of danger. Soon they can start dropping things like red dragon scale, and in my current game, I pickpocketed an AoLS this way. I had searched for over 2 years of game time without success prior to trying this.
XaXeXiXoXu, the ancient weight dragon, breathes weight at you! You are suddenly overburdened!

Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 10:12 (GMT -5)

I wouldn't recommend this. Scrolls of danger increase corruption rate. I got a corruption by about day 45 once from reading 2 of those scrolls on levels I was going for precrownings on.

Did try out a gremlin jail on D:8 without the scrolls. Didn't like it and I'll be returning to the dwarven graveyard for future games. (Can RoDS really be generated on level 8)
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 11:22 (GMT -5)

In my current game, the Dwarven Village was generated on D:8. Any alternatives?
Portrait
wakka
Registered user
Tha kitten slayer

Last page view:

6719 days, 7 hours, 16 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 at 05:05 (GMT -5)

The 'Gremlin bomb' in the underwater cave doesn't work in 1.1.1
try earlier versions. I'm not sure about the version it was downtuned. I remember scumming there in gamma 9 oslt.
It _was_ very overpowered then: you didn't even have to kill the critters yourself. I had a GE wizard, teleported around to the empty spots in the water dragon's big room. With auto-pickup scrolls, books, rings, potions and gold this was quite rewarding. lots of PoEx, useless rings... -> RoDS
*sigh* oh the times...
And my point was...
*chaos muffin*
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 at 04:01 (GMT -5)

i do the grem trick on level2 of the Tomb of the high kings, i always get cool shit there, it does corrupt, but i always have enough socr,and always get more from the grems
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 at 18:48 (GMT -5)

I pickpocketed gremlins in DH:2 until I got 5 corruptions, but I didn't get a RoDS or AoLS. I went back to the Dwarven Graveyard, but I haven't had any luck. I did get a number of useful items there, however, such as several PoCC, a SoCR, three PoGA, Blue DSM, and a number of rings.

Edit: A few minutes after I made this post, I pickpocketed Preserver from a gremlin, and another gremlin dropped a 2nd Blue DSM.

Second Edit: Ok, I eventually found the Long-Spear "Soaker," Girdle of Giant Strength, a third Blue DSM, a Black DSM, 7LB, Sling of the Long Shot, a large supply of quality missiles, and a Phase Dagger (+2 1d4-3). While I STILL haven't found a RoDS or AoLS, this proves how beneficial pickpocketing gremlins at the Graveyard can be.

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 2/17/2005 at 20:39 (GMT -5) by einherjar]
*Chaos Muffin*
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 at 07:20 (GMT -5)

What character class are you playing? mana score included?
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 at 10:03 (GMT -5)

Level 20 Male Drakeling Wizard with 20 mana. When I found preserver, I had 19 mana.
*Chaos Muffin*
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 at 10:14 (GMT -5)

ok, bad luck with the 5 corruptions and no RoDS or WoW, Bards have good luck, especially with the raven sign (so ive found) how many grems have u killed?, i usually stop at about 3000 to 4000 of them- maybe a deep dive into the Infinite Dungeon is in store???
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 at 10:34 (GMT -5)

As of this writing, 3918. I was thinking of visiting the ID soon...
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 at 10:40 (GMT -5)

Ok, I'm done with gremlins. I just went down to 22 HP in one hit.
*ChaosMuffin*
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 at 19:02 (GMT -5)

Ouch
Portrait
XaXeXiXoXu
Registered user
Ancient Weight Dragon

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 at 02:50 (GMT -5)

"I wouldn't recommend this. Scrolls of danger increase corruption rate. I got a corruption by about day 45 once from reading 2 of those scrolls on levels I was going for precrownings on."

As I understand it, and have observed, scrolls of danger do not increase background corruption on a dungeon level that doesn't already have corruption, i.e. CoC 1-9. I have demonstrated this for myself because I read about 6-7 scrolls of danger on D:9 where I created the gremlin jail, and spent loads of time smithing, mining, gremlin scumming, and waiting around. I never became corrupted while on D:9 even after reading the scrolls of danger.

And yes, those extremely experienced gremlins eventually make this approach obsolete. I wouldn't want to kill more than 4500 of them and expect to nonchalantly stand next to them while they attack 10 times.
XaXeXiXoXu, the ancient weight dragon, breathes weight at you! You are suddenly overburdened!
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

Well, having the invisibility intrinsic increases your survival rate. If I didn't have it, I would have been dead well before 4000 gremlins. When I was struck down to 22 hp, only one gremlin was attacking me because I was invisible.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4937 days, 8 hours, 11 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 at 00:51 (GMT -5)

In my last game a got a WoW with 4 charges :) from gremlin graveyard. But I usually stop after killing 1500-2000 gremlins. Should I kill more?
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
XaXeXiXoXu
Registered user
Ancient Weight Dragon

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 at 03:48 (GMT -5)

"As I understand it, and have observed, scrolls of danger do not increase background corruption on a dungeon level that doesn't already have corruption, i.e. CoC 1-9. I have demonstrated this for myself because I read about 6-7 scrolls of danger on D:9 where I created the gremlin jail, and spent loads of time smithing, mining, gremlin scumming, and waiting around. I never became corrupted while on D:9 even after reading the scrolls of danger."

Apparently I'm wrong about this, although I can't explain why I was never corrupted after spending so much time on D:9. Perhaps it just worked out that way by chance.

I just tried the same tactic on D:8, and did become corrupted, *however*, I think this is still a viable strat that seems less scummy than other things to me. Besides, corruptions are not really to be feared unless you have no way of dealing with them. As we know, some of them are quite nice to have.

(By the way, my gremlin "Gaol" strategy + 6 scrolls of danger read on D:8 netted me a timely RoDS.)

Dalrok
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 at 17:44 (GMT -5)

And you'd need 2 wishes to find those 6 scrolls of danger. My previous char had to wish for scrolls of danger, because he didn't find during the whole game. ;)
Portrait
XaXeXiXoXu
Registered user
Ancient Weight Dragon

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 at 02:47 (GMT -5)

Nah, they are easy to scribe. You'd need to find but one. IIRC I pickpocketed one from an orc in I~4 after having found almost all other scroll types.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: