Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Man, merchants are hard.

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
XaXeXiXoXu
Registered user
Ancient Weight Dragon

Last page view:

6975 days, 2 hours, 24 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 at 02:56 (GMT -5)

I have a level 22 hurthling merchant, Dildo Daggin. I can't begin to describe the close scrapes he's been through, but after careful play, he's now pretty decent, or so I thought.

I'm foolishly attempting my first Avatar ending with him, and I just realized how insanely hard this is going to be.

I got him precrowned with the Preserver amulet, very nice... am now waiting to find scroll of danger and PoCC before I dive chaotic and appease the ratling, etc. My idea was to obtain the near-guaranteed PoCC from Guth Alak by giving him the Ancient Chaos Wyrm corpse, so I pranced off into the ToEF with my blessed ring of ice under the elemental gauntlets... la la la...

Well, I can barely score a hit on anything in there with my sling, and when I do, the damage is just not satisfactory. The fire grues and demons have DV 45, and every single engagement with one is dangerous, as I end up meleeing with them wielding my frozen spear. During one of several forays up the levels and back out, I was nearly instakilled by a fire giant king who critically hit me and took me down to 68/271 hp. I decided to abandon immediate hopes in the tower.

I hadn't thought my skills were shabby at all- 12th mastery of slings and 12th mastery of polearms, but they just don't cut it.

I think I'm looking at a long game. I'm out of booze and I only have 2 wands of cold, but I'm really not looking forward to fighting the Wyrm in there. Anyone have advice for an already very experienced player?
XaXeXiXoXu, the ancient weight dragon, breathes weight at you! You are suddenly overburdened!

Ever win with a merchant?
Yes  No
Check results

Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 at 03:28 (GMT -5)

Wand of Poison, the best way to deal with the wyrm. If you have poison resistance, lure him to a spot where you can bounce the ray multiple times through you both, then just flee and wait for him to die.
Portrait
XaXeXiXoXu
Registered user
Ancient Weight Dragon

Last page view:

6975 days, 2 hours, 24 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 at 03:53 (GMT -5)

Ohh... I hadn't thought of bouncing it like that... I have about three! My specialty *was* wands, as a young merchant... Thanks!
XaXeXiXoXu, the ancient weight dragon, breathes weight at you! You are suddenly overburdened!
moomoo
Registered user

Last page view:

5384 days, 1 hour, 52 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 at 03:56 (GMT -5)

Even better is a wand of paralyzation. Once it kicks in the wyrm does nothing. He's pretty easy to kill after that. Paralyzation works even on emperor moloch and cat lord. There is nothing better than a wand of paralyzation :)
tongHoAnh
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 at 04:38 (GMT -5)

First, I dont reamember wand of poison bounce. Second, only Khelly is able to dodge their coin throwing. And third, merchant are pretty weak. Take your time.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5613 days, 3 hours, 53 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 at 04:45 (GMT -5)

The wands themselves probably don't bounce, except if made of rubber (who would go throwing wands around anyway). But the poison rays do bounce.

J.

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
tongHoAnh
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 at 06:30 (GMT -5)

I checked, poison rays DO bounce. Execute me for the false information.
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 at 07:52 (GMT -5)

No need, 100% sure they do, killed it that way last time.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 at 08:55 (GMT -5)

How about combining paralyzation, poison AND meleeing ? I guess even the toughest monster would drop pretty quickly that way.

Does paralyzation work on N-V BTW ? He has the annoying tencency to shrug off bolts so wands of poison are not too useful against him.
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 at 02:56 (GMT -5)

does willpower improve wand effectiveness?
hit him w a poision wand then freeze his ass, and btw dip 4 or 5 arrows of dragon slaying in a POP, the hit him from a distance....
<~~~~thinking the second idea is better
moomoo
Registered user

Last page view:

5384 days, 1 hour, 52 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

Just tried wand of paralyzation on Nuurag-Vaarn. And it didn't work. Zapped about 6 times.
tongHoAnh
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 at 08:30 (GMT -5)

Willpower does effect the power of the wand, as well as the spellpower (if there is a spell with the wand's name." I suppose if you have "death ray" or "paralyzation" at spell lvl 50, NV shall be nothing, but lvl 1 wont help. Same thing goes with magic missles.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 at 10:07 (GMT -5)

There is no paralyzation spell in ADOM (checked with Guidebook). But I guess that with magic missile at effectivity 198 and willpower at 99 ol' N-V would drop like a ton of bricks...

J.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3755 days, 5 hours, 41 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 at 07:27 (GMT -5)

Paralyzation--via wands.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
*Chaos muffin*
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 at 22:43 (GMT -5)

orcish merchants would get find weakness right? that'd make it a bit easier
*Chaos muffin*
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 at 22:43 (GMT -5)

orcish merchants would get find weakness right? that'd make it a bit easier

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: