Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Eaten by a grue..

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1197 days, 8 hours, 29 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 at 15:06 (GMT -5)

First time this has ever happened to me, must have gotten doomed while pooldrinking.

Walking through the dark and all of a sudden Blam! dead. Forgot the exact quote you get but its something like "Oh no! You wandered right into the slavering fangs of a grue!"

Death line is something like "Was eaten by a grue"

Anyone else actually have this happen to them? I know the chance is freakishly low
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4870 days, 9 hours, 21 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 at 16:19 (GMT -5)

Nope, never happened to me. I tend to get Doomed removed ASAP. How powerful was your poor sod? (BTW, the chances of getting eaten are: If you are doomed and on a dark square 1/1000 per turn.)
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Ever been eaten by a grue?
Yes  No
Check results

Dalrok
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 at 23:01 (GMT -5)

I had a L15 troll, who was eaten by the grue. Wanted to walk through a dark room (it was just 2 squares), but stepping into the second square killed me.
wakka*
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 at 06:25 (GMT -5)

I got eaten with my troll monk (lvl 25 or so, highest I got with a troll) in the ToEF, while beating fire elementals and demons in the dark - wearing the crown of science for fire immunity.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6479 days, 15 hours, 2 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 at 11:09 (GMT -5)

According to Twinge's page, the chance of being killed is actually 1 in 50, not 1 in 1000 as according to the GB.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6479 days, 15 hours, 2 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 at 11:10 (GMT -5)

Oh, and by the way, being eaten by a grue in the dark is taken from the old amiga (? maybe C64) game Zork.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4870 days, 9 hours, 21 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 at 23:33 (GMT -5)

Oh. One in fifty is a bit different than one in one thousand. Wonder how that slipped Andy? Odd... Anyways, thanks, Alex! Now all my doomed PC's will not only be doomed, they will also be terminally afraid of the dark!
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5635 days, 15 hours, 17 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 at 09:19 (GMT -5)

I got eaten by a grue when I descended the steps from D:49 to D:50 for the first time. I thought it was pretty hard to beat the game when you get autokilled when entering the final level... Well, served my savescumming char right... I didn't know of the guidebook, these forums or the rgra back then.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
*cobaltofdoom*
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 at 10:52 (GMT -5)

hmmmm someone once posted that it had to be a friday the 13th clock time for grue to even have a chance to pop up and i know ive wondered dark areas while extra cursed doomed for thousands of turns and only once have i been eaten by a grue (though i didnt look at the date i was so annoyed: it hapend after i closed the gate in the level above the forges lvl:50 barbarian i think)
it probably is 1:1000 and needing to be Fri 13th
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

5948 days, 16 hours, 50 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 at 16:34 (GMT -5)

Odds are surely not 1 in 50 for I never cared about the message 'You re likely to be eaten by a grue', always went my way carefully exploring each square of darken rooms. I take it merely as an indication of doomed status. Never bothered, never got eaten, but probably never played on a Friday the 13th ... because, hey ! it's Friday ;-)

I should care more, maybe ...
All your base are belong to us.
Silfir
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 at 18:44 (GMT -5)

The message "You are likely to be eaten by a grue" is totally unrelated to actually being likely to be eaten by a grue, i. e. doomed. It shows up all the time without caring whether the PC is actually being doomed, and never kills if he isn't.

It does kill doomed PCs (I think you don't even need the "likely to be eaten" message), and I think odds of 1 to 50 are realistic - I had my doomed mindcrafter walk six squares through a dark room, and bang! Got eaten on the fifth.

I had several light sources in my pack, mind you.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 2 hours, 17 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 08:43 (GMT -5)

Okay, some math-probability complications:
Given that chance of being eaten when in the dark is a constant 1/50 when doomed, this means that:

• You have a 2% chance to die any given turn in the dark (of course)
  • The PC who walked 6 steps in darkness had a 10% death chance
  • If you need to spend 35 turns in the dark you would have a less than 50% chance of surviving
  • 100 turns -> 13% chance of surviving.

For the careful gamer, this gives an indication of how dangerous dooming + dark is. I would never allow myself to stay doomed for much time, so I rate the science crown useless for wearing while gamin. I'd much rather have a minor hp per turn loss than all te horrible effects of dooming.
(I wonder if the crown helps bookreading, or if the dooming f****s up the die-rolls for that as well. If so then the only use for would be to wear right before level-up for the extra skills.

I've never been eaten though.
If the chance is 1/1000, you get death rates of:

• 0,1% chance every turn
  • 10% at 106 turns
  • 50% at 693 turns

Should be easy enough to test I suppose.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/17/2006 at 08:52 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 10:00 (GMT -5)

Then what is the purpose of the 'you are likely to be eaten by a grue' message ? Why do I see it poping sometimes and at other times not at all ?

Besides, what are ways to know for sure that you are doom ? I presume the scroll of Great Identify wil do the trick. Any other method ?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3869 days, 18 hours, 38 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 10:04 (GMT -5)

I guess the appearance of the message "you are likely to be eaten by a grue" is random

A SoGI won't tell you if you are doomed or not. It can be done by drinking a potion of insight or via the revelation spell. (There are some more radical ways to find out if you are, but they mostly lead to death anyway so I won't tell you ;)
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Torte
Registered user
Hooray

Last page view:

6629 days, 9 hours, 12 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 10:35 (GMT -5)

And if you notice that you're being surrounded by Greater Molochs on D:5, it's usually a sign that something's not quite right :P.
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 14:32 (GMT -5)

All good to know. Thanks ! Potion of insight are not that frequent I guess and I seldom play spellcasters so I don't remember ever having the Revelation spell. I'll know what to do with those, now.

Bottom line, in case of doubt, don't loiter in the dark :-p

One day, I'll gather enough wisdom to actually win ...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4210 days, 20 hours, 22 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 16:58 (GMT -5)

The easiest way I tend to tell if I'm cursed or doomed is the hugely increased encounter rate in the wilderness. Either that or suddenly seeing it in the attributes list after I die :/ (no wonder that goblin hit so hard!)

Generally loitering in the dark should be avoided in case you accidentally kill cats, or even worse I suppose accidentally meleeing a karmic lizard in the dark (that would be terrible!)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
pernicion
Registered user
High Pernicion

Last page view:

6194 days, 13 hours, 23 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 17:58 (GMT -5)

I have been eaten 2 or 3 times.
The kobold cringes in pain

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/27/2006 at 16:47 (GMT -5) by pernicion]
Memoria
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2014 at 19:49 (GMT -5)

Ah, I was so surprised to see this place still active almost ten years later, and it turns out that there is just really very little security. I mean, no log in required? No captcha? Crazy stuff man.

Would you buy African Mango?
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 15 hours, 12 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2014 at 06:59 (GMT -5)

Yeah, hacked the place together years ago as a learning experience and pretty much not updated it since :P
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Spartan Spratacus
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2014 at 16:19 (GMT -5)

Memoria visit more often,bring friends.
I like this site and its a shame its so out of use

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: