Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Questions before first Ultra

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
XaXeXiXoXu
Registered user
Ancient Weight Dragon

Last page view:

6948 days, 3 hours, 24 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 at 21:40 (GMT -5)

Okay, my merchant is about ready to head for D:50, then on to the Chaos plane. I just have a few things I'm wondering about:

1. Just how corrupted is "extremely corrupted?" Is it the full 18 corruptions?

2. Can I leave D:50 and come back if I don't close the gate?

3. Does wishing work in the Chaos plane?

4. Should I do my stat/speed boosting before or after I enter the gate? Any advice?
XaXeXiXoXu, the ancient weight dragon, breathes weight at you! You are suddenly overburdened!
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4871 days, 10 hours, 55 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 at 23:28 (GMT -5)

well, my highest PC is lvl 30, so I'm probably not much use, but I DO know that once you have left d:48, the stairs change so you cannot go back past D:48 until after the gate is closed. You could go back to D:49 and D:48, but not past that. I also know that the game informs you when you are "extremely corrupted". You probably know that, but in case you didn't... And I think wishing does work, just not praying. out of curiosity, what would you be wishing for? Praying doesn't work.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Portrait
XaXeXiXoXu
Registered user
Ancient Weight Dragon

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 at 23:43 (GMT -5)

Most likely I'd be wishing for speed before launching my attack on Andor. I just want to make sure the bastard goes down after all I've put into this character. Thanks.
XaXeXiXoXu, the ancient weight dragon, breathes weight at you! You are suddenly overburdened!
Dalrok
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 at 03:08 (GMT -5)

A few tips:

Be sure to have paralyzation resistance. I lost one potential ultimate winner against Andy, because he was paralyzed (and then drained) for hundreds of turns.

Use wishes and potions of boost stat before entering the portal, because Andy will come at you quickly in the ChAoS plane.
tongHoAnh
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 at 07:24 (GMT -5)

You are extremely corrupted when the "You feel extremely corrupted." message pops up. ~15/18 I think.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3870 days, 20 hours, 13 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 at 09:48 (GMT -5)

You can pray at the ChAoS-plane, but it will cause greater balors to be summoned.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
tongHoAnh
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 at 13:04 (GMT -5)

But still, do pray when needed (Hp<10 for instance ;)
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 at 14:17 (GMT -5)

Just to echo the above: drink all stat boosting potions and wish for speed before entering. Paralyzation resistance is essential. But apart from this, I have always found Andor Drakon to be fairly easy. Your biggest problem will probably be corruption. If you have 10+ blessed scrolls of chaos resistance then it should be relatively straight-forward. A potion of confusion makes it much easier. A wand of paralyzation makes it a walk in the park. And an arch-mage with 10000 HPs, PPs and speed with all stats at 99 and all skills at 100 makes it just plain unfair! :)
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5586 days, 4 hours, 53 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 at 07:15 (GMT -5)

Just out of curiosity: praying in the chaos plane summons greater balors, but will it still help the player (e.g. restoring low HP) ?
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
tongHoAnh
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 at 10:13 (GMT -5)

It helps you die in honor(by alot of enemies) As from what I can remember from the guidebook, it wont do anything further than that.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6480 days, 16 hours, 36 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 at 16:03 (GMT -5)

Reports of praying on the ChAoS (or is it cHaOs?) plane are mixed. The GB claims greater balors are summoned but others have reported praying with no problems. If you want to rely on it, best sacrifice all your gold before you go through the gate.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
XaXeXiXoXu
Registered user
Ancient Weight Dragon

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 at 06:45 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the response. I ended up winning handily after 3 wishes for speed just before entering the gate. Man, that chaos fluff on the screen freaked me out a little, then the ovular clearing appeared and I heard the voice... pretty cool "cinematic" for an ASCII-based game.

"Extremely Corrupted" turned out to be 17 corruptions. Fortunately I was well prepared with 14 blessed SoCR. With a speed near 1000 I hammered Drakon with blessed poisoned arrows of humanoid slaying until he was critical, then the landscape changed and I didn't have a clear shot. He summonned about 20 Chaos Servants, then my jumpiness kicked in, and I hopped right next to him and went berserk with the TotRR. He went down like a bitch. He attacked me for one single round and whiffed. Hahah.

I'm posting an unedited .FLG in the highscore. (named Dildo Daggin) There were too many early-game close scrapes to recount (like accidentally slinging a rock at a Shopkeeper when I was level 17). Playing a Hurthling Merchant is definately a fun challenge, and going for an ultra with this guy was really an undertaking for me. It was hard to keep him safe from harm until about level 25-27, but after that he did well.

Thanks again for the response, and thanks in general to this excellent forum.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4911 days, 3 hours, 36 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 at 07:27 (GMT -5)

At least lawful prayers don't summon greater balors when praying. And chaotic PCs do summon. I'm not absolutely sure about neutrals, but I'm pretty sure neither they don't.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: