Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / rangers

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5799 days, 10 hours, 4 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 at 14:57 (GMT -5)

How do you play rangers? Any hints? Just because I'm trying one which's on lvl13 and I want something for fire tower.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4928 days, 9 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 at 20:44 (GMT -5)

Use two weapons. And a ranged weapon.

And never be afraid of running away when the roughing gets tough.
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Fury
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 at 08:55 (GMT -5)

I'm a huge fan or Orc Rangers...they get the best skill set in the game IMHO. The best approach with rangers that I have seen (I've finished both conventional and ultimate endings as an Orc Ranger) are to forego the dual wielding. Use a shield and a good weapon until you get needle and sting. Anything less than this and you are just too gimpy to slug it out. Also, getting bows and crossbows to level 8-10 each is advisable.
Luck.
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 at 15:27 (GMT -5)

Its not a very smart idea to drop dual weapons for rangers, since they receive their class bonuses for that. Also just being a ranger gives you +6 to hit if dual wielding...i believe.
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1857 days, 9 hours, 19 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 at 15:52 (GMT -5)

I have to agree with Karry. I find that once your ranger is developed, and you max out that 2wpn cmbtskill you hit alot better with 2 wpns then without.

I really like rangers...HE rangers are my favourate class behind Orc Barbs.
Portrait
Nameless
Registered user
That guy over there

Last page view:

6907 days, 19 hours, 40 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 05:27 (GMT -5)

I think the best way to play rangers is to focus skills and talents of 2-weapon combat (swords and daggers especially) I usually play Dark-elven rangers so I have high skills in stealth, 2wep combat, find weakness, dodge and athletics. Just wait until you get a feel of the needle + sting... (*sigh* I've never got that far). I'd also advice training in the bow as well.
Just my 2c
Some people say that they seek the truth. But what is this truth that they desire so badly? No one will deny that we live, and that is truth. Yet people will still argue over why and how. In the end there is only life, and everything else is left to interpretation. And that is the only truth.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 06:33 (GMT -5)

Swords+daggers really rule. Just because my friend showed me yesterday a darkelf ranger with eternium long sword of devastation+phase dagger.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 07:18 (GMT -5)

"I think the best way to play rangers is to focus skills and talents of 2-weapon combat"
I think its the only way. Really, there is simply no sense playing Monk with weapons, Wizards without spells, and Rangers with shields. If you want that - there is always a class that is more sutable. Unless you wish to do it as a challenge, of course.

"I usually play Dark-elven rangers so I have high skills in stealth, 2wep combat, find weakness, dodge and athletics."
Only Trolls get athletics, so only ordinary skills for you. :)
You may only get high skills in Alertness and Climbing.

"Swords+daggers really rule."
Yaa, too long signature alert ! :)
Really, i cant understand you people. Why bother using two different weapons ? If you use two of a kind, wont you reach GM twice as fast ?
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 08:26 (GMT -5)

But your weapon's strength lies in the weapon, not Grand Mastery... for example, what's better: two phase dagger (+2, 1d4+3 each)with lvl7 skilled or two masterwork mithril battle axes (+3, 1d6+5 each) with lvl15 grandmastery, against, erm... emperor moloch?
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3089 days, 9 hours, 15 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 08:45 (GMT -5)

"Only Trolls get athletics, so only ordinary skills for you. :)"

Copied from the manual:
Rangers are trained in the following skills: Alertness, Archery,
Athletics, Climbing, Dodge, Food Preservation, Healing, Herbalism,
Survival, Swimming, Two Weapon Combat, and Woodcraft.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 08:45 (GMT -5)

"for example"
Bad example. :)
First, read again what i said. That is, is there any point in having two DIFFERENT kinds of weapons ? And in your example you talk about two SAME kinds of weapons.

And, according to manual, GM will receive three attacks per two turns, and level 7 therefore get only two attacks. And it keeps going more and more like that.

Besides, do you really think you can actually kill emperor moloch with such wimpy daggers ? You'll have to spend days smithing them and use dozens of scrolls, to shape them up good. Not to mention actually getting them.
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 08:46 (GMT -5)

"Copied from the manual"
Yes, so ?
Rangers are Class. Dark Elves and Trolls are Races. Trolls are the only Race to get Athletics.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 13:11 (GMT -5)

But the phase daggers cut through armor, so you only have to smith a few times. Besides, it's iron, so if you have a forge, then every crap shit is good for it.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 13:17 (GMT -5)

Well, if you cant answer a question - forget it then.
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 13:45 (GMT -5)

"hat is, is there any point in having two DIFFERENT kinds of weapons ?"

Yes, if you find something with good pre/suffix. You don't need grandmastery with "of penetration" weapons and phase daggers. High ST will do, with rings of damage/slaying.

"Besides, do you really think you can actually kill emperor moloch with such wimpy daggers?"

If he has 2 phase daggers, he can kill just about anything, they ignore PV.
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

"If he has 2 phase daggers, he can kill just about anything, they ignore PV."
Ahem. That is, in the case that he will survive long enough. Since emperor adjust...

"You don't need grandmastery with "of penetration" weapons and phase daggers"
You also miss the point. GMastery is about speed, not about strength.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 14:18 (GMT -5)

"Yes, so ?
Rangers are Class. Dark Elves and Trolls are Races. Trolls are the only Race to get Athletics"

Yeah, and your point is...?
Let me remind you (since you have a tendency to write as if you were the only authority on everything):
""I usually play Dark-elven rangers so I have high skills in stealth, 2wep combat, find weakness, dodge and athletics."
Only Trolls get athletics, so only ordinary skills for you. :)
You may only get high skills in Alertness and Climbing."

Did you ever played the game for more then 10 seconds? There is NO race limit to how high your skills can go, and at lvl 5 or so, you're bound to have 90-100 in any 3 skills you pick. Find weakness trains itself up to 100 once it hits 30-40, stealth does the same.

Also, did you EVER fought the emperor moloch?

""If he has 2 phase daggers, he can kill just about anything, they ignore PV."
Ahem. That is, in the case that he will survive long enough. Since emperor adjust..."
The emperor adjusts, wow. And...? He will have the same level you do, nothing more. You still have more speed, you can hit him and back away 1 square, let him come to you, hit him, back away and so on untill he drops. By the time you meet him, you should be able to kill him even with a wooden stick of penetration (if there were any).
A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/30/2005 at 14:19 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 14:35 (GMT -5)

"since you have a tendency to write as if you were the only authority on everything"
I - dont. Thomas does. :)

"Did you ever played the game for more then 10 seconds? There is NO race limit to how high your skills can go"
No limit. True. However Dark Elven Asassin, for example, will have high numbers in Find Weakness and Stealth, because they trained it as a Racial skill and as a Class skill.
I assume you played the game for 11 seconds, then.

"at lvl 5 or so, you're bound to have 90-100 in any 3 skills you pick."
Any ? Surely you jest.
For example, my current chara, Gray Elven Priest, at level 11, still cannot get Dodge over 50.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 01:43 (GMT -5)

"For example, my current chara, Gray Elven Priest, at level 11, still cannot get Dodge over 50."
Then you're a looser. By that time, it will be a laugh to get over that.
""since you have a tendency to write as if you were the only authority on everything"
I - dont. Thomas does. :) "
Everyone gets it to another one, like you did with poor TB. And as I already learnt how to play rangers from the previous posts, I know better that a skilled pair of phase daggers crush an EM by this technique: "You still have more speed, you can hit him and back away 1 square, let him come to you, hit him, back away and so on untill he drops. By the time you meet him, you should be able to kill him even with a wooden stick of penetration (if there were any). "
Of course there is no suffix/prefix for wooden stick.
"However Dark Elven Asassin, for example, will have high numbers in Find Weakness and Stealth, because they trained it as a Racial skill and as a Class skill.
I assume you played the game for 11 seconds, then."
Then try it. Your Find weakness will be crap you n00b.

(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 05:43 (GMT -5)

Karry, it's true you speak in the tone "I'm right, nothing you say can change that".

That said I did get your point about the skills being trained class/race combo, but it makes little difference. Those skills that are most of use to a char, are usually trained first. In case of your wizzie, are you saying your concentration was not maxed out at lvl 5? Ofc you don't have 100 in say haggling or swimming with a wizard at level 5, but you sure have concentration and literacy (if yuo don't, go melee chars instead.)
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 06:06 (GMT -5)

"Then you're a looser. By that time, it will be a laugh to get over that. "
Try it. If you're able to get 100 Dodge for Elven Priest at level 5 - send me a save and i will worship you. :) Not that you can, anyway...

"will be crap you n00b."
Watch your tongue, you dirty cub. Respect your elders, at least, if you dont want do find a horse head in your bed one morning.

" are you saying your concentration was not maxed out at lvl 5?"
I believe i said Dodge. Now who have concentration not maxed, eh ?
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 08:20 (GMT -5)

"Watch your tongue, you dirty cub. Respect your elders, at least, if you dont want do find a horse head in your bed one morning."

You're indeed a n00b. May your horse head bite you once.And did you ever play with a Dark elven Assassin? And did you read Godfather, or where did you get the idea from?

"If you're able to get 100 Dodge for Elven Priest at level 5 - send me a save and i will worship you. "

I didn't say you can get it to 100 at lvl5, but if you would press the button of Dodge when you level up, you can really do it. Try it. You won't die, even if I want so.

(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this

Do you think Karry played the game for more than 12 seconds?
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 09:06 (GMT -5)

Just checked, you really can't get your race only, non-trainable skills up to 100 by lvl 5. My mistake, I kneel before you and so on.
But that only proves the starting point of this quarrel, which was (my statement at least): races are irrevelent when it comes to skills (the trolls-athletics thing if anyone still remembers).
Any ranger WILL have a high athletics, dodge, two-weapon fighting, healing, herbalism, climbing, swimming and food preservation. Herbalism, healing, Two Weapon fighting and food preservation will go up to 100 by lvl 5 regardless of race, IF you play right, Dodge and athletics will go up to 80-90 just on level increases, and climbing and swimming can be trained (although it will be hard to find a blessed ring of the fish or a climbing set by lvl 5, it's doable).

A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/1/2005 at 11:42 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 at 06:30 (GMT -5)

"" are you saying your concentration was not maxed out at lvl 5?"
I believe i said Dodge. Now who have concentration not maxed, eh ?"

You missed my point. I meant that you can max out the skills a class is most likely use/need most, for wizzies, concentration and literacy for sure. It was just an example.
Furey
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 06:50 (GMT -5)

Naiyor said: "I find that once your ranger is developed..."

That sums up the ranger issue. Until you have the hp to take some big hits going dual wield is not worth it. Finding one good weapon early is easy....finding two worth dual wielding is not.

Unless you use a shield to get your ranger to mid teen levels I find that they get pounded too often.

I've played MANY rangers (my favorite class) and the ones that survive the longest are the ones that use a shield till mid-teens and maybe beyond. (My Orc ranger ULE didn't dual wield anything until needle and sting)

I didn't mean to imply that rangers never dual wield...but to do so "just because" is not a great idea either.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: