Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / New RL

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

JCool14
Registered user

Last page view:

6510 days, 10 hours, 18 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 at 12:54 (GMT -5)

I know, I know. You guys are all probably tired of all these new Rogue-Likes, but I decided to try one also. I'm using C++. One thing that I hope will make this game different, and hence, better to play, is the fact that it will be using a random world and towns. Also, to be added eventually, is random quests, though I am still working on that lol. Here are some expected features...

• Completly Random World, everytime you start playing
  • Random town generation, with buildings, rivers, roads. Also shops, lakes, and parks
  • 10 different Races(To start)
  • 10 different Classes(To start, that's 100 different combinations, enough to keep you busy)
  • Monsters that can carry. I.E. weild, wear, pick up. This allows for more realism, and for a larger variety of difficulty for monsters (I.E A kobold with no armour or weapon, is weaker than one with a short sword, and chainmail)

-------------------------------------------------

As said earlier, after a while, random quests may be added. I'm kind of practicing my C++ skills with this, and am still in school, so I will not get a whole lot of time to work on it. I'll try to keep you all updated. Wish me luck.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/6/2005 at 12:55 (GMT -5) by JCool14]
JCool14
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 at 12:56 (GMT -5)

Oh, and one more point, its still in the planning phase.
tongHoAnh
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 at 13:43 (GMT -5)

I like it, pass me the plan whenever u like. Mine is on Designing stage as well (Java though) and I'll pass u as soon as I finish it. Thx in advance.
JCool14
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 at 11:50 (GMT -5)

Glad you like it, yours sounds good too. Visit my website for my e-mail, and e-mail me if you want. I'd be glad to share ideas. Maybe we can swap algos and generator pseudo code, that kind of thing. My webbie is at this site, enjoy.
JCool14
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 at 01:05 (GMT -5)

Well, I'm still working on the Plans, but so far, everything is looking good. I'm still thinking of a way to make random world maps and towns, but they'll come, they'll come.

Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 at 16:50 (GMT -5)

Well, I'm done with my brainstorming, and am ready to start coding. I'll start with some classes, then go on to world generation. Hurray!
JCool14
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 at 16:50 (GMT -5)

Oops, forgot to log in, that was me.
JCool14
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 11:27 (GMT -5)

Well... Some unfortunate news indeed. I'm starting highschool now, which means that progress for the RL will be severly retarted. Hopefully I'll be able to get in some coding in my spare time, but it's looking a bit unlikely. I'll continue with updates, and with some of my little brainstorms. Sorry to those who are watching the development of the project.
JCool14
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 15:42 (GMT -5)

Well, finally some good news, I have now completed a rough(very) version of the Being class. Since I want Monsters and Players to be fairly alike (with a few exceptions of course) they will both derive from this base class, which is an ADT. For those of you who read the JADE documentation, and everything else TB has written, then you may notice that this is a lot like his idea. I assure you that I didn't steal any ideas from him. I have actually had these ideas since I first started trying to make a rogue-like in QBasic (not easy mind you). His docs just gave me a good name for all of this stuff. Now I am working on the two derived classes, which will basically add a few methods and members, as well as overide the two message methods, which are used to store (guess what) messages in the message center.
JCool14
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 15:48 (GMT -5)

Well, here is another brainstormed idea. I think I will implement "Fatigue" into players and monsters, so that a monster is more dangerous when you first attack him, since he is more rested (is that a word?) and capable of making harder attacks. This will make resting a more important part in my RL. Perhaps (R)est will be a totally seperate command, so you can't just press the wait button. This will make the "Magic Lock" spell (should I choose to implement one) be more valuable, as it would allow you to lock yourself in a room to rest without worrying about other monsters killing you in your sleep.

Just another one of my crazy ideas. Thanks for listening =)
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6621 days, 2 hours, 41 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 at 15:17 (GMT -5)

Long time no post :) me (and demented jam, too I think) are busy with our life, so you dont need to excuse for making it long (look at ADOM)

You are doing the Being/Creature classes first? How about making the display first and let us having some sneak peek :)
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
JCool14
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 at 23:06 (GMT -5)

Hmm... Good idea. How do you think I should do so? I think I may end up restarting the entire project (Ooh wow, 100 lines of code, if that much). I just think I approached it wrong. Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it.
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6621 days, 2 hours, 41 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

my code is now available at my topic, just down load the thing and look at the src folder :)
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
JCool14
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 at 13:17 (GMT -5)

390 days, 23 hours, 53 minutes and 28 seconds ago. Lol, wow. It's been way too long. Anyway. I'm trying to get my RL to be as platform independent as possible. As such, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good library for printing characters at certain locations on the screen.
Corremn
Registered user
Cursed by a Leprechaun

Last page view:

6504 days, 22 hours, 9 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 at 01:06 (GMT -5)

Most people use curses or its varients or SDL.

Try posting questions like this at

news:rec.games.roguelike.development

or with google groups
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.development

You will get a lot more responses.

Cheers
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4922 days, 12 hours, 22 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:14 (GMT -5)

Funny how the spambots necroed a years old topic and now pour all their rubbish in it..
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 days, 11 hours, 58 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 12:22 (GMT -5)

Yeah, persistent little bugger too, 6 pages worth of junk...

Let's see if I can tweak my "dumb bot blocker" code a little to trip it up before it does a new run.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: