Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Beastfighter vs barbarian

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5798 days, 15 hours, 53 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 at 03:28 (GMT -5)

Which do you think better, and why? My opinion is for barbarian, beastfighter is nice, but the mighty and tremendous blows are GOD, I once defeated a moloch on lvl9 with an eternium plate mail and mighty strikes.

(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter

Do you think I was only lucky?
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3869 days, 17 hours, 51 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 at 03:46 (GMT -5)

Beastfighters don't have to worry about getting a good weapon, and they get the ability to switch places with hostile monsters at lvl32 which is incredibly helpful in many places. Also the reduced moving cost almost negates the need for 7LB.
Also, beastfighters start with both healing and herbalism, and they also get athletics.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4927 days, 5 hours, 58 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 at 07:33 (GMT -5)

Monks, i say, monks!
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 1 hour, 29 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 at 05:00 (GMT -5)

I recently tried an Ultra with a beastfighter.
I did run into quite a few problems with him:
Emperor Moloch. Without a slaying weapon (rune-covered trident is guaranteed) I had to use a lot of slaying ammo. And it was not enough either. My beastfighter had BoW AND find weakness and 70 strenght, but still didnt do much damage to it. I recon I had to hit him 150 times or so. Even wizards using trident always do a LOT better.

And second, killing the ChAoS GoD was too hard for him. I did breeze through lvl 50, but wasnt fast enough to do much damage to andor. Hitting with ToTrr is out of question, so I had to use ammo. And after a bit of stat-draining, I couldn't hit him. So YASD there.

Third, while we may not HAVE to worry about good weapons, almost through the entire game I wished he could use a weapon. No shield means less DV, and I always get a decent weapon by level 10-15-20 at worst. I found my beast to be a bit of the suck at those levels.

And lastly, the stunning hit ability is most of the time a BAD thing. With molochs its good to hit, run, hit, run etc. The stunning messes this up somewhat. At the level you get it, you dont need it.

I would put too hard to read books here, but they can learn a bit of the important spells (wand of wonder + booze). I guess all characters do the rift for the wierd tome, so might as well pick up the books.

Monk - havent played them seriously since I started game, I but I would think they are better than the beasts.
It all boils down to ot being able to use slaying in melee, and then not being able to rely on magic.
Morio_unlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 at 08:10 (GMT -5)

Molach, It's you can hit Andy with your hands until he is critically injured, then wield the TotRR and fire a few arrows to finish him off.
Also, I disagree about tha hard to read books, since I learned teleport and some other spells very easily with a beastfighter.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 1 hour, 29 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 at 06:53 (GMT -5)

Morio: I know about hands till critic then trident, but I didnt do too well hitting andor anyhow. too low damage.

And yes, it wasnt hard to read books. Just get the right corrutpion, or buy up learning from garth a lot, or use boots learning potions, or learn them by "wonder" stuff first, etc etc. Its manageable. So we agree there.

My main point was that their ability to do good damage barehand, is a sort of two-edged weapon - they HAVE to use bare hands. No shield, no slaying melee-weapons. And no "finding a rocking weapon at level 10 and rushing thru most of the game" either.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: