Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Farmers

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5818 days, 4 hours, 16 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 at 06:28 (GMT -5)

How the bloody hell do you play farmers? I tried an uber-doggy char, and it got to the point of being able to take on a gnoll tension room, but I sucked with a frost giant berserker on D:16.
Can you help me how to play them? And please no kinda "farmers are shit etc." posts, I want advice.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6617 days, 22 hours, 43 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 at 06:38 (GMT -5)

Well, I dont play them (they suck :)

+ They are typical fighter-type with affinity with spears (reduced improvement cost) and be even better with Dragon or Sword starsigns.
+ They dont eat much, can make iron rations out of corpse and have high carrying capacity, making them good for trolls.
+ They are super-good at herbalism and gardenning with their class skill, making them ideal for herb-scumming.
+ They have reduced improvement cost to increase attributes, thus training with Barb have better result.
+ They are resistant to corruption, making them better for ultra than for just normal ending.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1876 days, 3 hours, 31 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 at 09:36 (GMT -5)

I ususally play hurthing farmers. I use the big dog as a door in terinyo so I can actually stash stuff in the houses...the house below the elder is the best for stashing stuff....anyways I usually try to work on polearms for melee, with thrown rocks and slings as my missile weapon.

generally I will try to take everything out with ranged attacks.

one thing that I find particularily good to do (if you have 4 or 5 herb seeds to start with) is to try to id the herb pattern in the first level of the VD or DD (your choice) and plant the herbs of your choice right next to the stairs. (I usually go for spenseweed or morgia...moss of marillion is good to)

I think the most important thing to consider with farmers is to just be careful. (but, that applies to every other class in the game)

As for the mid-late game, by that time the farmer is usually pretty well equipped and I play kinda like a ranger.

Hope this helps!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/29/2005 at 09:42 (GMT -5) by Naiyor]
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 14:49 (GMT -5)

My two all-time-favourite characters were gnomish farmers.

Frankly, despite not having played very many character types (the only others I've put time into are rangers, wizards, thieves and monks), I didn't have a lot of trouble with them.

The level 6, 12 class bonuses are excellent for further gaming. Level 18 is not as valuable since by that time there are usually too many artifacts to attempt further precrownings.

The vast majority of the advice I could give would apply to all characters.

2 precrowning should be no trouble through herb sacrificing.
Find a good pole arm.
Farmer/gnome combination has fast leveling.
Between 3 and 5 starting talents depending on the month. Get treasure hunter immeadiately. Don't get the heir gift. Get the healing talent at level three at the latest and long stride at level 6 at the latest. The weakness of the farmer will requires that 5% speed boost.
Don't try to clear out PC 5/6 and VD 5/6 until the lower levels of both have been done.
Do rush through the lower VD levels without clearing them to try and get Yriggs out.

Here is the skills list for my one level 50 farmer:

Alertness ................ 83
Archery ..................100
Backstabbing .............100
Bridge building .......... 60
Climbing ................. 93
Concentration ............ 30
Cooking ..................100
Courage ..................100
Detect traps ............. 64
Disarm traps ............. 69
First aid ................ 80
Fletchery ................ 42
Food preservation ........100
Gardening ................ 80
Gemology ................. 45
Haggling ................. 61
Healing ..................100
Herbalism ................100
Law ...................... 85
Listening ................100
Literacy .................100
Mining ................... 13
Necromancy ............... 20
Pick locks ............... 12
Pick pockets .............100
Smithing ................. 43
Stealth ..................100
Survival ................. 78
Tactics .................. 94
Two weapon combat ........ 48
Ventriloquism ............ 37
Woodcraft ................ 50

Out of the 32 skills, only 11 made it to 100. 3 of those raised themselves. 3 of those raised themselves naturally. Pick the skills you want to concentrate on carefully. Not very many of the ones available to you at the beginning of a game will help you out so plan ahead by using the many skill raising chances you will get in your farmer's early life to get good marks in the ones you need later. Raise herbalism at the start to get as much benefit from herbs at the beginning as possible. Raise gardening since you might have the bad luck to find no naturally occuring morgia or stomafillia.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5818 days, 4 hours, 16 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 01:33 (GMT -5)

Thanks! I made a gnomish farmer currently on lvl7, and I raise Food preserv. Herbalism, Healing and 1st Aid skills like mad.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:51 (GMT -5)

I haven't played in over a month due to having final exams beginning on Wednesday. You've inspired me to play another gnomish farmer. He's going well.
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 at 04:08 (GMT -5)

Highlights of that game:

You managed to steal an ordinary ring.
You transform the gremlin into a mangled heap.
You manage to steal a steel amulet.

Khelevaster, the dying sage grabs the amulet of life saving off you. .... With that he dissapears. FATAL ERROR THIS PROGRAM WILL BE SHUT DOWN.

That was a damn good game too.
Got the "this room smells of carrots effect" on VD:1 and PC:2
Found seven league boots early on.
Precrowned with robes of resistance and the elven long bow.
Trained strength very high using cursed devil's rose and cursed stomacemptia.
I had given up on pole arms in favour of an eternium shod quarterstaff of devestation in Dark Forge.
Found a second ring of djinni summonning (hadn't used the first) just before talking to Khelevaster.
Also just before the crash I got the bulging cranium corruption.
The crash was at experinece level 20 - a higher level than usual for my farmers at that point.

The only down side to it was that I did not come across a single girdle of carrying. But the farmer level 12 talent reduced the down side of this somewhat.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: