Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / n00b wizard help?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Wintry
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 at 13:05 (GMT -5)

I have not seen this mentionned anywhere but... when I read a spellbook as a Wizard should i read it until it diseppears or should I read it until I get good results and keep it until I am almost no longer able to cast it?

Thank you ! ^^
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5826 days, 17 hours, 31 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 at 13:44 (GMT -5)

The second.

Reason: If you're out of castings, then you can 'c'ast it from the book by reading it and 'c', and then it'll never disappear.
The only downside is that it costs I think 5x as much as the original.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3897 days, 19 hours, 29 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 at 14:06 (GMT -5)

Doesn't book casting also cost more energy points than regular casting?
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5884 days, 5 hours, 25 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 at 19:26 (GMT -5)

Battle Bunny mentioned that at the end:

"The only downside is that it costs I think 5x as much as the original."
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
*cobaltofdoom*
Registered user

Last page view:

6820 days, 49 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 at 20:35 (GMT -5)

unless you have prety good talents...

Though as a wizzard your not going to be able to carry around alot of books usualy and they can get destroyed and youll have to wait finding another spell book wich can be tedious ,if you cha has trouble geting good amount of spell points by learning spells just read the tomes once and store them untill his learning is better ( had a dark elf with 15 Le and 28 Mana to start he sucked learning for a while) but if you can read a book until it disapears and you get 600-1000 spell points i say do it chances are youll find another spell book b4 it runs out unless is acid ball i tend to have a hard time finding that one
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5826 days, 17 hours, 31 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 01:32 (GMT -5)

Yea, good/Great book caster does it.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 04:16 (GMT -5)

With a wizards, I read most till they vanish, though I keep a few for book casting like SoA.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 3 hours, 8 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 at 07:22 (GMT -5)

If learning is over 13(or something like that), I read each & every book till they vanish. If its under, I read the damage-spellbooks once or twice then store untill I can buy some learning from Garth. I would then quickly head for dwarftown, precicely to buy learning as fast as I can. (Its good to get early for all those level-up skills too) I still read all those utility books till they vanish though. Even SoA.
My reasons are:
* I always get enough books playing a wizard
* There's the library which has one of every book
* Reading them will exercise Le, especially for the dumber PC's.
* Like cobaltofdoom pointed out, carrying all those books is taxing in the beginning. Once you get the SoA-engine running no such problems though.
* If you hit a dearth of books, you could hang out in the ID level 2-3 and safely get enough books that way.

Oh yeah, Id only read wish one time too.

I've stopped playing wizards, they got too easy to win with.

Ive never gone for the good/great book caster. Seems to me there are better talents out there for a wizard.

If I ever should play some class with a low book-finding probability and low learning ability they might be okay. But such a char would focus on melee/missile fighting, and should therefore get PV, DV, speed and archery boni (bonuses?).
I always end up with treasure hunter and long stride somehow. Chars without healing get the 20% heal thingie. But ive never gotten learning talents.

Mabye this last bit belongs in a talent-discussing thread...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/2/2005 at 07:39 (GMT -5) by Molach]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: