Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Easy, Hard, or Impossible?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6814 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 at 06:34 (GMT -5)

I'm kind of interested in everyone's opinion of what class they have the most/least difficulty playing. Or just like the least =) For fun, i split up the classes into what i believe is an easy, moderate, challenging or damn near impossible to play, and invite whoever is bored to do the same. Number in parenteses is the number of actual victories ive had with the particular class, and brackets is a short comment.

Easy:
PRIEST
WIZARD- (1): [Archmage pending.. gate closed but havent left chain yet.]
PALADIN- (7): [3 ULEs 4 norms]
ELEMENTALISTS
ARCHER [Especially HE archer.. too easy]

Moderate:
BEASTFIGHTER
BARBARIAN
FIGHTER
DRUID
RANGER
HEALER

Challenging:
ASSASSIN
WEAPONSMITH
THIEF
MONK
BARD

Near Impossible:
NECROMANCER
MINDCRAFTERS [^&*$#$& impossible]
MERCHANT
FARMER

I *cant* stand mindcrafters. I look at the charts for skills they get at high levels and it looks pretty impressive. But i dont know what it is about them that makes them so absurdly difficult to keep alive.

I think most would disagree with me and put barb/beast under easy but i have a much higher preference to caster characters than hack and slash, which i actually find a bit difficult to play. I *dont* play my paladins as pure hack and slash, since dark elven paladins (my favorite) are almost caster-esque to keep alive in the beginning stages of the game.
Riddler
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 at 07:43 (GMT -5)

I'm pretty sure monks are easy or normal, their lack of PV is made up by fast unarm attacks, high DV, instant kills, wall kicking and good skills.
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 at 10:29 (GMT -5)

Thats right. Troll Monks are nearly unstoppable. They are super tough, regenerating, and need only normal amount of food. Humans are OK Monks too.
The only thing Monks need is some way of dealing with stuff you cant touch. Monk with a bow is too easy.

Bards also not so challenging. They are not easy too. Neither. Whatever generates...

I found Thieves rather good. Its certainly not THAT hard, and lev.50 bonus is quite promising indeed...

Weaponsmiths are easy to play, but rather boring. They dont get any interesting bonuses save for fire immune.

Dwarf Mindcrafters can be nice...i won the game with one.
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 04:30 (GMT -5)

Race in brackets indicates the race with which I predominantly have played a class type.

EASY

Wizard (human): Easy. I have only been prevented from winning with these characters through my own stupidity.

Archer (hurthling): Never won with one for the same reasons as for wizards, but they are far more potent than any character I've played at each experience level.

MODERATE:

Ranger (human): This was the characteer that thought me the ropes of ADOM. Once I got to the point where finishing off the PC and VD meant a character was assured of reaching the Dwarven Village I stopped playing the. This took 8 months. So I can't give a fair rating of them.

Healer (troll/drakeling): Never took one particularly far. They are excellent in the early game - fast healing keeps them alive - but in the mid game they are comparitively weak to every other class I've played.

Challenging:

Thief (hurthling): I love thieves. Nice set of starting skills and great class powers (6, 12, 25, 32, 50). I have only played a handful of thieves. After finishing with wizards my aim was to next try out a thief. One of my first attempts made it past the mana temple. Unfortunately, my only sources of chaos resistance were rendered inert by poison hands (which I didn't know I had) and he was jellified on D:47. After this I tried ...

Monks (hurthling): Bloody difficult. I spent months trying to get one to the end of the game. Naturally, this was the character type with which I managed to find 2 spears of devestation within a couple of turns of each other. A lot of the fun is in finding good weapons so I won't be playing as one of these for a while. It was the class that I got my only victory with (and the only time I've seen D:48).

Bard (hurthling): I liked the randomness of these guys - I've seens ome truly wonderful starting stats. But I do find them quite difficult. On average my level one wizards fare better in melee inside the SMC that my level one bards. They remain weak in attack for as long as I've played with them.

IMPOSSIBLE:

Farmers (Gnome): My favourite class. Some good starting skills. Some excellent class abilities (32 is surprisingly effective). My best farmer (and best character) only made it to D:39 where I meleed a high level mimic type without paralysation resistance. I've probably spent enough time on this site praising this class.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3897 days, 19 hours, 11 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 05:22 (GMT -5)

I find drakeling beastfighters to be one of the easiest race/class combos as well as hurthling archers. I recently finished the game with a hurthling archer, and it was really a piece of cake, I even cleared out a greater undead vault with suns messenger (after winning), havent left the Drakalor chain yet, since I have all three artifact missile weapons, and I want to train a bit with all of them
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Fury
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 20:24 (GMT -5)

EASY:
I love Rangers...especially Orcs (3 ULE) and Trolls (2 standard wins).

Wizard: 1 ULE...then stopped playing them...once they get rolling they are *too* easy.

Priest: 1 ULE, 1 50 died going through chaos gate. Nice and meaty early, and keep tough all the way through

Archers and elementalists I get to decent levels, but have never finished with either.

NOT SO MUCH:
I can't get anywhere with gnomish farmers (which I started playing after thedrin's rave reviews) but i love em too thedrin :)

I tried mindcrafters for a week and then gave up...probably never to return.

I'm desperate to get a necromancer to 50 because of the amazing abilities, but to date i've managed to reach.....12. *sigh*

Troll monks are my next experiment after seeing the reviews.

Thanks for the tips! (I never would have tried a gnome farmer w/o this forum)

MagicalTrevor
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:58 (GMT -5)

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but they all seem pretty impossible to me... I've only had one character of hundreds get to the ToEF... *Grumbles*

Completely unrelated, but it seems to me that playing ADOM on a Linux machine as opposed to a Windows machine generates more dungeon specials (pools, shops, etc.)
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6626 days, 11 hours, 40 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 08:18 (GMT -5)

...Completely unrelated, but it seems to me that playing ADOM on a Linux machine as opposed to a Windows machine generates more dungeon specials (pools, shops, etc.)...

Really?
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
N(MBLNG)
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 13:53 (GMT -5)

Mincrafters are hard to get going. Once you get a good weapon and sheild, you can play asa fighter that confuses everything. MindBlast is good, but not all that great. Melee opponents instead, if you can. And get the healing skill ASAP! Get a good DV/PV and toughness as soon as possible. Once you get to the mid-game, work on mana. Mincrafters need A LOT of PP.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6507 days, 15 hours, 34 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 00:09 (GMT -5)

Nothing impossible about Necromancers. Got my first win with one.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
hearter
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 at 10:08 (GMT -5)

farmers too impossible are not.

first ULE of mine was a drakish farmer.
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6814 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 at 18:40 (GMT -5)

First ULE with a farmer is quite impressive.

Of course no class can be considered truly impossible because im sure many people have won with even the most difficult of combinations, but farmers are in general regarded as more challenging.
cobaltdoom
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 at 21:37 (GMT -5)

Dark Elf Bard. guaranteed back stabing and alertness,
i keep generating until i get a decent skill set,
last one started with 22 skills inc alert dodge alcemy athletics food preservation detect/disarm traps pick pocket.. all at teh start... bards are good ;) not bad casters if done right too, just a little tough at teh start though before they find great items (or pickpocket)
Portrait
Shihna
Registered user
Takai Shisha

Last page view:

6234 days, 13 hours, 55 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 02:27 (GMT -5)

A farmer doing ULE is sorta funny...just picture him walking in and striking that "American Gothic" pose with the trident...
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6626 days, 11 hours, 40 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 07:10 (GMT -5)

Whenever speak of farmers, I think of those in Heroes of Might and Magic 4. They have a trident-like farming equipment as weapon :)
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

6809 days, 20 hours, 54 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 11:59 (GMT -5)

i agree with lordfrederick's list, but i would move assasins, weaponsmiths and necromancers to the moderate cathegory.

assasins have the best set of skills of all fighters (alchemy, archery, alertness, backstabbing, stealth (which increases at a very fast rate)... the only drawback is that they don't have herbalism) and start with good knife skills (both knife throwing and melee skill) plus a number of knives (they almost always have a very good knife in their pack, a nice bonus assuming their low two weapon combat starting value) plus three flasks of poison (useful for the kranach quest - throw one to two knives at him and he will eventually die from poison).

weaponsmiths are good if you pick a race wisely. weaponsmiths can have their starting st greatly increased because of the anvil they are carrying - no character starts the game burdened. i have no proof for that, but it's like this in nethack, and adom is a nethack clone in some aspects, and just check your average gray elven weaponsmith's st and you'll believe. they can make good fighters, and remember that forges are found in the UD...

necromancers have an obvious minus: they don't have healing and are often chaotic. play a dwarven necromancer if you find other races too hard while attempting this class (dwarves in general make good wizards - they have a lot of hitpoints and, after level 20-30 they become as good as elves in terms of spellcasting). the necromancer trades his healing skill for a spellbook of frost bolt (which is a very good spell for a quick start in lawe[...] - killing hotzenplotz and mad doc will give you a nice lawful boost and some hp, as you'll advance at least to level 5) and a variety of three skills;) including necromancy, food preservation and find weakness. they are only *somewhat* more difficult than wizards...
What do you wish for? *THUMBS* EM_
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/9/2005 at 12:00 (GMT -5) by d666]
N(MBLNG)
Registered user
Formerly known as NMBLNG

Last page view:

6881 days, 21 hours, 54 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 23:11 (GMT -5)

I'm having trouble strting out as a weaponsmith. Drakelings just don't start out with any armor, and it seems that good stuff is real hard to come buy.
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

6809 days, 20 hours, 54 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 at 06:18 (GMT -5)

an elven weaponsmith should be strong enough to kick some goblin ass while staying at I1, repeatedly respawning the level, gain some experience, do the kranach quest, maybe buy an item or two, probably do the yergiuss' quest, then gain healing, do the PC (or SMC, if you were lucky enough to grab some PoInvis and/or a SoMM or two). in the very early game, you may ignore your smithing skill and play a careful fighter instead;), then you might find your smithing talent rewarding... it's of course somewhat harder than playing a beastfighter in the early game, but i'd not call this a challenge. thieves and bards are challenging because they are really bad at hth combat and much worse at magic than wizards, but a weaponsmith is diffetent (because of probably high St and bigger attack bonus).
What do you wish for? *THUMBS* EM_
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?