Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Some noob questions

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

TL
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 10:34 (GMT -5)

1. When playing magic-using characters, I always use up the spells and become defenseless. How do I keep them 'charged'?

2. What's the best race/class combination?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3869 days, 21 hours, 16 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 11:57 (GMT -5)

1. Just read the book again to get more castings (if you still have it) and remember to also use melee, don't rely only on magic.

2. There are several of discussions about the best race/class combo on these forums (My favourite: Drakeling Beastfighter)
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 15:17 (GMT -5)

There is no best race/class combination. Each permutation requires different strategies (though the degree of difference can be small). It comes down to what type of game you like to play.

Personally, I prefer melee combat. Generally, I won't use a missile or magic unless I have to, but I also like using the stealth/backstabbing tactics. I put a lot of emphasis on the herb aspect of the game. I also pick up everything that I can. My favourite combinations are hobbit thieves and gnomish farmers.

If you're looking for a good starting combination (non magic) go for a gnomish or hobbit bard. Get the heir gift at the beginning. Your starting skills will be randomly selected due to the bard class. By playing a few bards to the mid game you can get an idea of what skills you make the most use of and then pick a class that suits this.

Picking a race is a bit tougher. Gnomes have very low experience point requirements for leveling up as well as good strength and mana. Drakelings are tough and have the acid spit ability. Trolls are very difficult to kill in the early game.
Tom47
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 15:22 (GMT -5)

TL: It is important to train weapons (spears work best for magicians) and shields as early as possible. Rats, goblins, kobolds and such should better be attacked with a weapon, that way you will conserve your spells for tougher creatures AND work up your DV rating as increasing weapons skills give some pretty nice DV bonuses. Think battlemage. If i havent found an altar by about level 8 i will even risk using something cursed and grab an unid'd spear and shield just because weapons training is so important.

Best race/class? For me it's Grey Elven Wizard. What else can take on an Emporer Lich at level 18, hehe? Somewhat tricky to keep alive in the beginning but with good training and a little luck in finding the right books and herbs they are almost overpowered. Many experienced players will move on to more challenging classes but wizards are loads of fun to play because you have so many options.
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 17:14 (GMT -5)

" increasing weapons skills give some pretty nice DV bonuses."
Aye, thats true. Maybe, if you use staves all the time you will get like, +20 DV at the end of the game. But that means no shield...

"If i havent found an altar by about level 8 i will even risk using something cursed and grab an unid'd spear and shield"
I'd say it differs. I put on whatever armor i find right away, just to survive in the beginning using melee weapons and not spells. Cursed items arent THAT common anyway. I also drink and read everything new as soon as i find it. Who cares, most of the time i die just because i step on a stone block trap all of a sudden ! :)
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3869 days, 21 hours, 16 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 at 08:38 (GMT -5)

I often take my chances and read the biggest pile of scrolls I have, since they usually are scrolls of uncursing of identify
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6598 days, 13 hours, 45 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 at 08:44 (GMT -5)

btw, if you have 2 or 3 heap of the same kind of thing, the heap have more (2 at least) are likely uncursed one.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
TL
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 at 08:55 (GMT -5)

Would a troll wizard do any good? Finding food isn't a problem for me.
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 at 09:14 (GMT -5)

They are pretty good, if you know how. Trolls eat alot(2x food consumption speed), and wizards enjoy destroying stuff on the ground with their elemental spells, thus food is a problem at the beginning. However, troll are tough, your trollish wizard could try bashing the opponent while having high HP instead of just using spells. Trolls are also strong, you could buy and pack aplenty of food if you know where to buy (and have the money to do so). Being burnden and strained help increasing food consumption, btw.
My RL dumpyard:

Questioner
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 06:11 (GMT -5)

I thought the guidebook says only strained and above increases food consumption.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 4 hours, 55 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 09:04 (GMT -5)

Being burdened and strained DOES slow you down (which is much worse than increased food consumption). Thats why I avoid it. But on the other hand, it excercises strength (up to 16 or so).

Ill agree about grey elf wizard being one of the easier classes to play.
You will have a great learning to start with, so the the book you start with will give a lot of castings (read it till it fades).
Wizards randomly find a TON of books (literally).

Elementalist may seem okay to start with, but they do NOT find many books, and have to rely on level-ups to gain spells. That was my experience with them anyway.
Untill library
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 09:45 (GMT -5)

Actually from my experience Priests find about 2-3 times more books than Wizards. Hovewer i rarely found any Ball book as Priest...
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 10:03 (GMT -5)

Yeap agree about the priest. They find most books of all the classes.
I still hate them.

Wizards get the guaranteed damage book to start with, and thats why I like them better :). Nothing like killing hozenplotz at level 1.
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 10:16 (GMT -5)

"Nothing like killing hozenplotz at level 1."

Can you actually do that ? I mean...with a purpose ? That would be really lucky. Finding Kranach first, and not getting a level from him...
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 12:26 (GMT -5)

"Nothing like killing hozenplotz at level 1."

Back in the day I played gray wizards, the chance to have him (or the bouncers) as first kill is ~30%
My RL dumpyard:

Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 13:22 (GMT -5)

Just started two games to find out if I was exaggerating. And - he got splatted as first kill both times. Gives 1250 to a 101 speed character, good for gaining 4 levels.
Its very easy if you retreat out of town to regain PP one time.
Both frost bolt and fire bolt worked well.

You do not have to kill Kranach first.
Last game I went and killed the Crime lord(without talking to sheriff first) , got level 5, then came back to Sheriff and he first assigned me the Kranach quest, then gave me the amulet reward for killing Hotz. I then went into the wilderness looking for a band of roving raiders. And behold: After only 19 days I found him. Anyway, killing him resulted in my level 6, and after that Sheriff gave me the 3 thou and Law skill.
I've completely stopped actively pursuing the Kranach quest, because it can take forever to find him in the wilderness, and I've got more important things to do at that time. Besides the rewards aren't all that:
Law - Don't need it anymore, I know what is good and what is fun, I mean evil.
3000 gp - I wont say no if Kranach randomly appears, but cash is easy enough to get, see? And you get some thousand from killing the Crime-pack too, if theres something you desperately need to buy in the black-market shop.

However, I can't see any reason to want to kill the Crime lord at level one. I usually go to Lawinthehole and kill something, mugger, or bandit/cutpurse(if I wanna get courage) then go right up to the SMC for the downstairs, blanket and the decent random weapons/cloaks/shield lying there.
After the SMC, I'll kill him whenever I'm able. The amulet is good for getting +align early in the game. I always drop down to N if I'm L initially to get pickpocket and later Trap detection, Disarming, Stealth and mabye Climbing practise. After that amulet is good to get up to L again with.
If I want a neutral precrown its also good, because sacrificing will take me to N=. To avoid regular crowning I put on amulet to I stay N+ and get precrowned instead.

And I've moved past grey elf wizards too. Too damn easy to win with.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/10/2005 at 13:35 (GMT -5) by Molach]
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 13:27 (GMT -5)

I usually have a high chance meeting Kranach as I move into the plain around SMC, just to let you know.
My RL dumpyard:

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: