Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Stun, paralyze, confuse etc

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Questioner
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 08:41 (GMT -5)

Stun, paralyze, confuse, blind, web and afraid. Miss anything?
Based on your experience, how effective are these status effects on those tough unique creatures?
The 5 temple guardians, Cat Lord, Srraxxarrakex, Burp's mom, eternal guardian etc. Might as well add the char killers, emperor lichs, doppleganger kings etc

I know Snake and Chaos Wyrm are easily affected by stun.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3110 days, 4 hours, 38 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 09:02 (GMT -5)

Stun and paralyze are really effective on just about everything, blind is hard to come by, but works just as well on most creatures, the eternal guardian included.
Webs don't work on anything stronger then wild cats, being afraid is just annoying - creatures you want to kill run away, and creatures that you want to run away from kill you instead.
Confusion might work, but it's just to random to use safely, but at least it keep creatures from casting spells.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
*cobaltofdoom*
Registered user

Last page view:

6813 days, 12 hours, 45 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 20:40 (GMT -5)

i disagree, in the current version of adom my wizard had great use of Web spell against the damned chaos wyrm in the ToEF held the bugger in place for a VERY long time and he kept getting caught in the stuff, the actual spell seems easy enough to "shrug off" for alot of creatures but they will stick usualy if they walk into web thats already up.

as for confusing and blinding, i ALWAYS carry a few potions of confusion and blindness when taking on the Multi headed chaos wyrm and the extremely skilled chaos knight MaLaKAi
2 potions each thrown at them almost always gets me enough time to whack them to death with eternium halberds or "wyrmlance"

Stun seems to be really able to shrug off even by the crime lord so i never used those wands much on tougher creatures, didnt want to rely on them. and i never used the few wands of paralyzation but going to from now

i like potions of blindness and confusion because as far as ive played you always get a hit and they dont get a save roll to resist. garanty is good ;)

p.s. being able to kill the multi headed chaos dragon without taking any damage is always *very* amusing.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/12/2005 at 20:42 (GMT -5) by *cobaltofdoom*]
Wonderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 at 01:55 (GMT -5)

well i´ve just cleared the ToEF with my lvl20 wiz. and for the ancient chaos wyrm i only needed:
- one slam from my wand of poison (hit on first use)
- one kick from my bl. wand of stunning (stunned this bastard right away)
(- + some blast´s from the iceball spell)

so my oppinion on the wand of stunning is: it did work perfect on the a.c.w.!! he was stunned from the first hit and remained in this state until i showed him his new home.... 6ft. under!

(my meelewapon (death´s sting) and also deathray spell did not realy seeme to harm him.. hmmm)

the confusion thing is "nice" - but i take it not realy searios because it is never lasting for long enough to be usefull.
maybe on "low-life-creatures" - but to risky for use on the tuff one´s.

W.
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6619 days, 23 hours, 54 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 at 04:30 (GMT -5)

... 6ft. under!
You found him again on lvl 3? ;)

I think all unique mosters are immune to death ray... or you need 50+ spell power to harm it with.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Portrait
p_ouji
Registered user
Hikari no Yuusha

Last page view:

6899 days, 19 hours, 35 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 at 04:59 (GMT -5)

All of those are good, especially against spellcasters.

Paralyzation is the best since nothing resists it.

Also never blind/confuse/scare a teleporter (like Andy) because they will just teleport randomly until the status ailment wears off.
- p_ouji
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6807 days, 22 hours, 20 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 01:08 (GMT -5)

I've only recently started using those.

I've completed games without using a single status effect.

Web: NEVER used these to any effect.

Paralyzation: I dont tend find to any wands of para, but when i do its pretty great. My personal favorite here.

Poison: Another good one. Usually chuck a !of Poison at most temple guardians.

Stun&Confuse: Peices of crap is what these things are. They ALWAYS fail when i need them to. My characters that work are usually buff enough to tear up the monster in melee with it hitting me back. If i have to resort to using stunning or confusion, it always fails on me and i die :(

Blind is too readily unavailable, but also effective. Id rate it slightly below Pois and Para for usefulness.

Afraid is ANNOYING.
*cobaltofdoom*
Registered user

Last page view:

6813 days, 12 hours, 45 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 02:58 (GMT -5)

*shrug* andy isnt so bad by the time you get to lvl 50 and have a slaying weapon, just make sure your VERY parylazation resistant
Portrait
p_ouji
Registered user
Hikari no Yuusha

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 03:10 (GMT -5)

-Remember to zap wands of stunning multiple times since stunning stacks. This is especially important since faster monsters recover quicker.

-Try comboing stunning + web or stun + slow monster.

-Try stunning though a monster made by wand of create monster.

-Try this vs Cat Lord or other fast monster.
Web corridor, create monster, slow monster, wand of poison x5+. The monster made by create monster is better than a door since it can't be smashed.
- p_ouji
Portrait
p_ouji
Registered user
Hikari no Yuusha

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 03:42 (GMT -5)

Web vs Blup's mom in WC.

Darken a corridor like the one on the bottom of the map. While in the corridor, stand on a lit square next to a dark one and create a door behind you such that the PC is standing in between a dark square and the door. Web the darkened corridor. Drop and pick up an item.
Kill her.

- p_ouji
Fury
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

This is genius. I had run into hordes of cats early who I was forced to dispatch and was worried Mr. Pussycat would kill my 20 Troll Monk when we finally met.

When I arrived at pussy-cat lair...

I summoned a beastie in front of me, zapped about 4 charges of poison at the cat lord, then filled the hallway with web (he got stuck every time he tried to move) and filled him full of poisoned slaying ammunition.

I never even needed a heal or a prayer!

Amazing tip. I intend to try it on Blub's mom next.

N
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 20:32 (GMT -5)

Confuse Ray is vital for low-level Mindcrafters. They usualy have to confuse monsters untill they a good weapon/sheild and some armor.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: