Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Khelavaster

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5765 days, 11 hours, 31 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 at 04:21 (GMT -5)

Suppose I zap Khelavaster with the Teleportation spell, will I be able to keep descending and come back and save him later? What if I zap him with Stun Ray or use Ventriloquism on him? Perhaps these actions will turn him hostile - will he be placated if I give him an AoLS?

Alternatively, I could try the potions of raw chaos trick, but I'm afraid it might be too dangerous because I'm cursed from hitting a karmic lizard. I'm also intrinsically lucky and wearing the ankh, if that helps at all. If I try it, would I be better off dipping amulets for AoLS or rings for rings of djinni summoning?
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

9 hours, 38 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 at 08:51 (GMT -5)

I think AoLS are more common than rings of djinni summoning, so purely statistical I think amulets would be better...

I would strongly recoment you take some time offering stuff to your god to get rid of that curse though. Cursed and Lucky will almost cancel each other out, but not completely IIRC, and you'll want to be "enhanced" lucky and maybe even have fate smiling on you before you play the chaos rulette...

Don't know about alternative routes past Khel.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5765 days, 11 hours, 31 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 at 11:15 (GMT -5)

Thank you very much for your help, Jan. I'm not very experienced in dealing with gods yet, so these questions are probably stupid, but here goes anyway. If I have a stack of gold to sacrifice at a coaligned altar, is it better to sacrifice it all at once or a bit at a time, or doesn't it make any difference? Also, am I right in thinking that I'm unlikely to annoy my god by sacrificing at a coaligned altar? (I can remember a few things you shouldn't sacrifice - creatures of your own alignment, pets, and the food sold by ratling traders - but it isn't as dangerous as fooling around with a noncoaligned altar, is it?)
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7777 days, 3 hours, 58 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 at 13:43 (GMT -5)

Hey Ekaterin if you mak a huge sacrifice at a coaligned altar your god will fight for control of the altar.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5662 days, 17 hours, 59 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 at 14:43 (GMT -5)

if you sac small amnts of gold at a time your alignments' more likely to move towards the alter your saccing at.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 at 16:14 (GMT -5)

Well, I think there's some confusion here about what "coaligned" means. I was using it to mean that the altar is already of your own alignment, and "noncoaligned" to mean that it isn't.

I'm a neutral drakish wizard, and I'm aware that if I sacrifice at a lawful altar, it may turn me lawful, it may turn the altar neutral, and under circumstances I don't fully understand yet, it may cause my god to turn my equipment to dust.

What I was asking was: if the altar is neutral already, what's the best way to sacrifice in order to get very close to my god? Does it matter whether I offer 5000 gold coins all at once or 1000 gold coins five times in succession?

Is there anything that a neutral character _must not_ offer at a neutral altar, or their equipment will be turned to dust?
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

9 hours, 38 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2001 at 18:33 (GMT -5)

Offering at a non-aligned altar will putt you toward the alignment of the altar. I don't think the size of the offer has any influence on this. So if you make several small offerings on a non-aligned altar it will most likely be you who change alignment.

If you make one big offering at a non-aligned altar it will still pull you toward the alignment of the altar, but chances are that your god will notice the offering and take over the altar.

So as a rule of thumb, small offerings convert you while big offerings convert the altar (more or less).

As for regular offering at a aligned altar just offer all the gold you can afford in one go, there is no benefit for making several small offerings (unless you are LN or something and want the extra lawfull bost of making several offerings at a lawfull altar). I think the overall piety will be the same if you offer 5x1000 gold or 1x5000 gold, if anything 1x5000 might be better because piety will slowly dwindle away over time (though 5 turns hardly make any difference).

And newtral characters must offer at a newtral altar, everyone have to offer at an altar that match theyr alignment (unless they want to convert themselves or the altar). However you most not offer newtral monsters (all "normal" animals and ratlings I believe) on a newtral altar (or lawfull monstesr (blink dogs, dwarfs, ki-rins and while unicorns mostly) at lawfull altars, chaotic gods don't care so you can offer anyone there (be carefull that works both ways).

If your newtral god turn your equipment to dust when you offer at a newtral altar is't because he REALY hate your guts (if you have changed alignement your piety is zeroed out, and if you have converted any newtral alters or prayed to many times the newtral god might be sufficiently mad at you that he'll descide to punish you once you get his attention...
If you have reason to believe that the god you want to offer to hates you (usig a holy symbol will give an indication of your relation to the god of your current alignment) remove all essential EQ, and make a huge offering, with luck that will cheer up the god and make him like you again, you might still get punished, but at least you won't get punished the next time you offer something...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2001 at 04:30 (GMT -5)

Thanks, but it's all irrelevant now, because my character transformed into a chaos being. I did what you said and sacrificed at a neutral altar until I felt very close to my god, and at the end of the game I had enhanced Lucky and Fate Smiles and wasn't cursed or doomed.

I then started playing chaos roulette, but after causing two explosions in rapid succession and getting _far_ more corrupted than I had ever been before, I decided to try my other plan of getting past Khel and coming back if I found an AoLS.

This does not appear to be possible:

Khel will resist teleportation spells (which don't turn him hostile either).

He shrugs off stun rays, which do turn him hostile but don't start him chasing after you.

He can be confused by ventriloquism but won't start staggering around aimlessly.

Since I was feeling really fed up with this heavily corrupted character and didn't expect her to get anywhere, I decided to keep playing chaos roulette until I either got an AoLS or transformed into a chaos being.

Next time I will just let Khel die rather than messing about with chaos.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

9 hours, 38 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2001 at 10:34 (GMT -5)

Hmm, wonder if that "swap location with hostile monster" ability beastmasters get would work...

Probably not, he seems to be meant to be un-movable.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2001 at 16:46 (GMT -5)

well i'm at him at this point too... ugh, i wish there was an easier way to get an AoLS, maybe a gaurenteed one. but man was the mummy guy easy, 2 zaps from blessed WoF and bye bye mummy. plus all his minions came at me in a stream rather than a swarm. it was easy. *g*

ivan.sourceforge.net
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2001 at 01:40 (GMT -5)

Duke: Indeed, Rehetep is easy if you have some fire magic available. I tend to always try to go kill him if I have some fire magic (and since lately I've been playing elementalists almost solely I always have). I'd say his cohorts and those traps are more trouble than he is. Though I ran out of Burning hands when fighting him with my human elementalist and had to fire bolt him to oblivion (took a lot of bolts as he resisted most of them). Now if only I found a ring of Ice I could have some fun in ToEF...
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 23, 2001 at 02:43 (GMT -5)

if you do the ancient dwarves quests first and get the blessed wand of fireball he's a snap; doen't even resist it.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7777 days, 3 hours, 58 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2001 at 14:29 (GMT -5)

I find the Pyramid a breeze.Never had to use the WoF once.Never even cast a spell.Thats because I always play non spell casters especially healers n paladins.Everythin in the pyramid is easy with a decent melee attack.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
leapfrog314
Registered user

Last page view:

8120 days, 4 hours, 4 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2002 at 14:03 (GMT -5)

Rehetep can be killed with ONE blast with the Improved Fireball spell!!!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: