Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Archer running out of arrows

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3576 days, 18 hours, 2 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 at 08:47 (GMT -5)

Hi

My high elven archer is running out of arrows. It has basic melee skills but not good enough. No fletchery set. How do I get more arrows/fl. sets?

Thanks

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/8/2005 at 08:47 (GMT -5) by Echo]
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 at 08:59 (GMT -5)

Well he died so blah
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3897 days, 16 hours, 19 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 at 09:28 (GMT -5)

When playing archers, don't rely too much on missile weapons, remember to also train melee. There are many reasons for this: you can run out of arrows, dopplegangers, you missile weapon gets defstroyed...

As to getting more arrows, if you are confident enough you try hunting for roving barbarian groups in the plains, IME this usually gets you at least 3-4 piles with 20 arrows of one kind.

Also Don't use only bows, use crossbows (and slings) too, this gives you double amounts of missiles (not really since arrows are more common than quarrels), and double amount of slaying missiles.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/8/2005 at 09:28 (GMT -5) by Morio]
hearter
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 at 09:38 (GMT -5)

morio is right, find the barbs and rape them for their arrows.

my archer did this and went arrows the whole way. blessed 1d6 arrows. cause they're easy to find and are plentiful.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5826 days, 14 hours, 21 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 04:49 (GMT -5)

That's why I like hurth archers, stones are so easy to find! Just dig with pickaxe, and voila.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 07:08 (GMT -5)

But there are no rocks of demon slaying and alike...
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6814 days, 7 hours, 14 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 09:51 (GMT -5)

I think sling bullets have some very limited slaying properties.

I don't remember... but i believe theres a bullet of demon or undead slaying.
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 10:02 (GMT -5)

^only demon slaying no others
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1884 days, 13 hours, 36 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 10:03 (GMT -5)

Does anyone know if rocks can be generated with pre/suffixes (thundering, slaying etc)? I havve never found one.

just wondering

Another good way to get rocks is to let the ants dig the whole level on PC2. I always do this for my characters that are using slings or thrown rocks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/9/2005 at 10:06 (GMT -5) by Naiyor]
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 10:10 (GMT -5)

"Does anyone know if rocks can be generated with pre/suffixes (thundering, slaying etc)? I havve never found one."

Nope.
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1884 days, 13 hours, 36 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 10:15 (GMT -5)

Thanks.

That is what I thought. I mean most of my characters use slings and rocks. and one would think that with the 400+ rocks generated using the ants...ONE would have a prefix.
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

6809 days, 18 hours, 3 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 12:17 (GMT -5)

hah, wouldn't you be confused after finding a "heap of 12 blessed eternium-shod rocks of power"? (i know that power is an armor suffix)
What do you wish for? *THUMBS* EM_
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5826 days, 14 hours, 21 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 at 01:57 (GMT -5)

But rocks are SOOOO many, that they're worth as much as some slaying ones! Especially on GM.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 at 06:21 (GMT -5)

i believe that arrows are as easy to find and much more powerful.;) and even a bad bow gives you some bonuses, while thrown rocks don't.
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6626 days, 8 hours, 48 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 at 07:14 (GMT -5)

...while thrown rocks don't...

Then switch to sling :)

Btw, rocks sure are ways to many that after the ealy game (big room and PC:2), I have enough blessed rocks (+0, 1d4) for the rest of the games.
Not that lucky with arrows/quarrels ever.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 at 08:09 (GMT -5)

ok, you have 3 ways, as i see it:

- thrown rocks&slings are the Easy Way. beginners and lazy players should attempt playing this Way, which will eventually lead to some Rockthrower UEs. alternatively, you may stumble across some sling bullets. use them to change your life.
- arrows are the Moderate. if you are an average, normal kind of human, you'd probably choose the Arrow Way (if you were trying to play ADOM efficiently).
- quarrels, boomerangs, scurgari, clubs, knives etc. are the Hardcore. According to the name of this Way, you should specialize in these missiles whenever you want to develop a challenging character: a dead shot one without ammo.

i hope that's clear enough to satisfy everyone:).
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/10/2005 at 08:09 (GMT -5) by d666]
Portrait
Shihna
Registered user
Takai Shisha

Last page view:

6234 days, 11 hours, 4 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 at 13:30 (GMT -5)

Hehe...I always use daggers ^^
Later on, I usually switch to scurgari. You can find some really nice ones, like a pile of (+5,2d6+4) returning scurgari.
Actually, 2-3 javelins of death are pretty good too...(+10,6d6+2)
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 at 19:14 (GMT -5)

as i see it, quarrels are perfect to complement fighting classes. Since they dont develop their missile skills sufficiently (only to level 5 or 6 in my experience, to take advantage of slaying ammo), the base odf 2d6 on quarrels is better than the 1d6 base on arrows.

They also dont need to find many, because they rely mostly on melee.

Bows and arrows are better for pure archers, who dont need the extra damage dice on the ammo due to their highly developed missile skills. The arrows are also easier to find.
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 at 06:40 (GMT -5)

"They also dont need to find many, because they rely mostly on melee."

methinks, you need a lot of quarrels to develop your wskill at crossbows;) - and you won't find enough until you are level 15 or so. thus, arrows are a lot better for nonarcher classes, i say.
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3897 days, 16 hours, 19 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 at 11:12 (GMT -5)

As I said before, it's good to train both bow and crossbow skills so you get more slaying ammo
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 at 11:20 (GMT -5)

i tried to do this with my gnomish mindcrafter (currently xl 18), but these tons of ammo weigh simply TOO much.
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
N(MBLNG)
Registered user
Formerly known as NMBLNG

Last page view:

6881 days, 19 hours, 2 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 at 22:17 (GMT -5)

Back to the topic of arrows, I had a Lv.14 or so Archer with Fletechery(85) make about 66 arrows out of a log. I hope I can get that number up higher after the Lv.18 bonus. But meantime, I find barbarians and kobolds to be the best source of arrows.
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 at 00:36 (GMT -5)

To develop your wskill in xbows to level 5-6, you dont need many quarrels at all.

If you retrieve your quarrels, about 20 or 30 will do assuming you dont get particularly unlucky with missile destruction, which is not unreasonable to find even in the early stages of the game.

For melee classes, level 5-6 is all you really need in a missile weapon. Its far more worthwhile to destroy a monster with your melee weapon due to the increased importance of developing melee skills.

Its all a matter of preference. If you want to further develop missile skills past 5-6 at the cost of a lower wskill in your melee weapon, arrows are probably better due to being easy to obtain.
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 at 14:32 (GMT -5)

lordfrederick-> you're right - i should write "spellcasting classes & mindcrafters" instead of "nonarcher classes" (i mean, crossbows are better for fighters, bows for wizards). my gnome mindcrafter uses missiles a lot, and that wskill 10 w/ bows helps a lot (i have polearms at 11, too, so it's a generic character:). without this, my missile attacks would be pitiful - and that'd be bad, since, as a mindcrafter i need a formidable ranged attack against chaos creatures and some undead. (it's pretty annoying that only 1/2 of the tohit [and probably to-damage, too] tactics bonus applies to ranged attacks, but i guess playing an archer would be as easy as playing diablo otherwise - didn't check if the same stands for tactics penalties)
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6626 days, 8 hours, 48 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 at 08:22 (GMT -5)

...ok, you have 3 ways, as i see it:...

I usually manage to get to lvl 8-9 in ALL catergories, either missiles or melee.
(Hammer of Gods as a throwing weapon, Ha!)
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 at 08:49 (GMT -5)

hmmph, i usually train one melee weapon and one missile weapon, getting wskill 10 at both very fast. i like big bonuses.
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4955 days, 4 hours, 26 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 at 20:30 (GMT -5)

It all depends on what you are planning to do. I usually stick to whatever i can get my hands on - if i'm lucky enough to get that far...

If you plan an ultra ending, being a GM is a good thing. If you just stroll around trying to survive long enough to see D:50 (managed twice), just take your best shot and hold on to it until ou find a better one.
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Fury
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 at 13:51 (GMT -5)

My Dark elven archer just finished an ultimate, and with blessed logs and fletchery at 100 he would regularly make about 120-130 arrows at a go. (less if there were suffixes). When he was a wee lad he would scum the wilderness for the barbarians (thanks morio), he didn't even use his fletchery set till he was level 40 or so because for some reason fletchery would not get any higher than 70. *shrug*

Putting coward setting on and standing next to ratling archers is a decent way to build up some quarrels if you can afford to do it.

I'm also a huge fan of getting both crossbows and normal bows to at least level 10...killing andy is a joke when you can switch from the Elven Bow w slaying ammo to Farslayer w another batch.

In fact, I found that this guy killed everything easier than any other level 50 I've played...AcW, Enemy of the Ancient Karmic, even Andy himself fell faster to this guy.

That was the first archer I played, so I've been spoiled now :)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: