Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Crowning

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3567 days, 20 hours, 1 minute and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 at 17:36 (GMT -5)

I keep livesaccing stuff and am absolutely close, alignment N=, level 11, but still I wont get crowned. Why is this?
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3107 days, 15 hours, 31 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 at 18:31 (GMT -5)

Only thing I can think of that could be causing this- you have an item that's giving you the "doomed" intrinsic.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
thedrin
Registered user

Last page view:

6007 days, 23 hours, 22 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 at 14:53 (GMT -5)

Dooming would be my first choice but;

I usually go for a crowning in the late mid game before my final dive. This is done after getting at least 2 (usually 3) precrownings. Consequently, I haven't seen the "absolutely close" message when going for a crowning in a long time. I get the crowning at very close.
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 at 16:09 (GMT -5)

How do you get it on very close? I always go till absolutely close but I have _never_ been crowned. :\
N(MBLNG)
Registered user
Formerly known as NMBLNG

Last page view:

6872 days, 21 hours, 1 minute and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 at 17:29 (GMT -5)

Funny, despite my efforts I've never been pre-crowned...
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3107 days, 15 hours, 31 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 at 20:14 (GMT -5)

Oh,another thing crossed my mind. No offence, but did you pray? Surely you know you must pray when you are absolutly close to get crowned, right?
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/19/2005 at 20:14 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 at 04:22 (GMT -5)

Thanks Mael....
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

6800 days, 20 hours, 2 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 at 07:43 (GMT -5)

echo - if i were you, i'd precrown first. you may crown regardless of what your level is, and precrowning has a lower level limit (praise the gb;).

N(MBLNG) - you need not to be N=, L+ or C- to be precrowned, you know? do a (some) chaotic/lawful act(s) just after saccing enough to be precrowned, then pray.
What do you wish for? *THUMBS* EM_
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 at 07:55 (GMT -5)

BTW, what is the difference between crowning, precrowning and postcrowning? How many times can you be crowned? Do you always get a new immunity?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3888 days, 18 hours, 18 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 at 08:07 (GMT -5)

Pre-crowning: Not extreme alignment (L+, N= or C-), has level limit (level >= 8+3*artifacts generated) can in theory happen 15(?) times, happens before regular crowning, no immunity, generates a random artifact, can change alignment after pre-crowning

Post-crowning: Same as pre-crowning, but happens after regular crowning.

Crowning: Must be of extreme alignment, no level limit, "can't" change alignment after crowning, can only happen once, generates a non-random class-specific artifact (also race dependant), grants an immunity, grants an amulet of current alignment.

That should pretty much be it, hope it helps
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5132 days, 1 hour, 56 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 at 03:53 (GMT -5)

Pre- and post-crowning is in fact somewhat misleading. It should be called "articat gift" or something. It's similar to Crowning in that you receive an artifact after building up high piety. But (regular) Crowning is different ina few way:

• You get an artifact selected from a small list, varying with different classes (and somewhat with race). Pre/Post is random artifacts.
  • You get an immunity. You get an Immunity you do not currently have. If you are immune to everything, you do not receive an immunity.
  • You become permanently blessed.
  • You can only be Crowned once. You can be pre/post-ed several times, according to a certain formula.
  • You receive a discount in the artifact-induced food consumption
  • To complete an alternate ending you need to be crowned
  • You can be crowned at any level. Post/Pre has an absolute minimum of 8.
  • You have to be at an extreme alignment to be Crowned.(L+, N= or C-). You have to NOT be of any of these alignments for a pre. There is (I think) no alignment requirement for a postcrown.

Yeah I know this is common knowledge. I just notice that people are confusing the two types. So we should call post/pre "Divine gift"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/23/2005 at 04:01 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

6800 days, 20 hours, 2 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 at 14:24 (GMT -5)

that'd confuse folks who didn't read your post even more, better leave things as they are;).
What do you wish for? *THUMBS* EM_
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4946 days, 6 hours, 25 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 at 16:27 (GMT -5)

Let's make it a sticky: CROWNING, HOW IT WORKS!

Just for the heck of it. ^^
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
David
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 at 19:17 (GMT -5)

I always try to get pre-crowned one or twice, but It just takes TOO MANY Live sacrifices! also, getting the si, ankh, and ancient mummy wrapping, I'm too low a level to get more than one pre-crowning. How do you all do it?

Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 at 19:19 (GMT -5)

oh, I also hear something about cross-aligned prayer in the Infinite dungeon. Is that with a holy symbol and how does it work?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3888 days, 18 hours, 18 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 at 03:46 (GMT -5)

Cross-aligned prayer has been explained many many times, but here we go again.
Cross-aligned prayer is when you pray a lot, until your god starts summoninng creatures, and still keep praying a lot, and since one god gets pissed tha other two will start to like you more, after this, you just switch alignment, and pray to get (pre-/post-)crowned.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5132 days, 1 hour, 56 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 at 05:54 (GMT -5)

David: One precrown is something every char should get. More that one is a bit of a pain in the butt sometimes. If I get a good altar before dwarftown I can try to get the second at level 11 (have to buy ratling food to stay alive, saccing every monster.) L and C altars a much easier than N, because you can sac (almost) anything on them. If not I can get second precrown at level 14. Ill not go higher, because by this time I need to generate more artifacts to keep the game progressing (Elder quests, RotHK, Elemental Gaunts)

Cross-aligned praying: Its used in infinity dungeon because you can do it on a downstair, and lock yourself in with doors all around. When youre done praying you can just exit the level, leaving all those summoned beasties behind. I presume.
David
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 at 14:46 (GMT -5)

ok thank you very much you all! I have been playing adom for a long time, but I have never gotten a character past level 22, (rarely past level 15), and have only gotten fire orb once. I have never looked at spoilers in the past, but I just had to know how some good players do it! thanks.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: