Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / New Challenge: Uranium Man

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

hearter
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 at 08:59 (GMT -5)

challenge:
win the game with a wizard of any race/starsign.
if at any time the PC has more than one spell in his/her spell memory, the challenge is lost.

just as uranium is radioactive and it depletes itself over time, your wizard's spell memory will deplete quickly since you can only have one spell in memory at a time.

i was attempting this with magic missile but ran out after effectivity +21 and died soon after. the RNG plopped a bookshop in my path with teleportation, death ray, slow monster, ice ball and acid ball. but no magic missile. RNG strikes again.

i was thinking as well. if you get +20 in magic missile and lose memory to learn something new, does the +20 remain if you learn magic missile again?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3892 days, 11 hours, 18 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 at 09:13 (GMT -5)

I think it does
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5607 days, 19 hours, 59 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 at 01:14 (GMT -5)

Doesn't a wizard get every spell automatically at certain level (50 IIRC) and also automatically gets random spell points every level from certain level ? So this challenge would require playing a slow-advancing race like a troll and hurrying up with it.

Then again, playing a wizard without ever using any spells would be an interesting challenge itself...
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
hearter
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 at 01:38 (GMT -5)

i think the no-spells wizard would probably be impossible for normal gamers.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3892 days, 11 hours, 18 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 at 06:32 (GMT -5)

From the manual about wizards: "Starting at level 25 they slowly gain experience in one randomly chosen spell per level.
At level 50 they finally get basic knownledge in all commonly known spells"
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
hearter
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 at 08:07 (GMT -5)

changed then.

challenge:
if at any time the PC has cast more than one type of spell from his/her spell memory, the challenge is lost.
Umli
Registered user

Last page view:

6860 days, 20 hours, 39 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 at 11:02 (GMT -5)

why dont u restict it to reading one type of books, cos u gain crap on leveups, and from potions. and it'll be a bit easier that way :)
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

6804 days, 13 hours, 2 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 at 12:22 (GMT -5)

i'd modify these rules this way instead:
"whenever you gain spell knowledge due to level advancement, you cannot take any actions other than spellcasting until you have only one spell in your spell memory. when you have two or more spells in your spell memory at a time and this is for reason other than gaining spell knowledge through a class power, you lose this challenge. don't drink potions of wonder:)."

this doesn't limit you to depend on a single spell the whole game (it'd be v. boring i guess, so hearter-> i find your first idea better than the latter).

btw, i guess that challenge is fun. i'll check it out:). it doesn't seem extremely hard, as you can use melee and missile weapons without restrictions, and in the late game the only spell you really need is acid ball (no teleport hurts, but you may use wands+booze+other charging stuff, or a helmet of teleport, or the proper corruption).

if you are looking for a hard challenge game, i'd suggest playing an illiterate mute wizard (no 'r'eading or 'c'hatting is the only restriction - you may cast spells gained naturally or by using * of wonder). and yes, it means that you are limited to PoCC:))).
What do you wish for? *THUMBS* EM_
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
thread necromancer
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 at 03:57 (GMT -5)

challenge:
if at any time the PC has more than one spell in his/her spell memory, the challenge is lost(with exception below)

quote d666:
whenever you gain spell knowledge due to level advancement, you cannot take any actions other than spellcasting until you have only one spell in your spell memory. when you have two or more spells in your spell memory at a time and this is for reason other than gaining spell knowledge through a class power, you lose this challenge. don't drink potions of wonder ;)

hm should i start with ice bolt or magic missile?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 13 hours, 44 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 at 20:01 (GMT -5)

How about the Miraculous Wizard?

You may only ever use such spells that you gained by drinking potions or zapping wands of wonder. The light version allows for reading books of those spells afterwards, the hard version doesn't. Choose.

The spells gained by the class powers count as having been gained by a miracle, so you can keep them too or even train them up(light version). Finally, if you're level fifty, you may cast all spells.

Another challenge: Every time you level up, you have to get rid of a known spell and swear not to use it ever again. You also have to destroy all the spellbooks you ever find that contain this spell. This begins at level 4 and leaves you with one spell left at level 50, so be careful ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: