Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Your most terrible blunder??

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4910 days, 14 hours, 17 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 at 11:47 (GMT -5)

I know that there is another thread under same name, but I can't find it right now (it was 5 pages long BTW). Anyway, it is a great and amusing one, so i decided to revive [or necromance ;)] it.

Some of mine: I accidentally became a champion of order with a wannabe Ultimate ChAoS gOd char. And I was so annoyed with myself that i quitted that game...
With another char, a lvl 50 wannabe archmage, I tried to charge a wand of fire with about 2000 pps (I pressed wrong key), and the wand exploded bringing my hp down by 3000 or so. I could've cried..
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6805 days, 4 hours, 29 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 at 13:53 (GMT -5)

My worst mistake was getting my lvl 12 Trollish Mindcrafter stuck in the Dwarven Mystic's room with no way to teleport out. The name of my character is Runge, and he was just added to the HOF.

Soon after I lost Runge, I started a new Trollish Mindcrafter who is about to do the Arena quest.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 at 17:25 (GMT -5)

Charging around in beserk mode with an insanely powerful level 50 gnome wizard with twin daggers, robes of resistance, etc., etc. Bumped into a mimic hivemind - first hit paralysed me. I spent the next five minutes holding down the spacebar and watching my 1000 or so HPs being reduced in decrements of 5-10 until I finally died.

Being crushed to death while scumming for strength using a ring of weakness.

That's all I can think of for now.
hearter
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 at 07:58 (GMT -5)

all my true berserkers dying to ghuls and mimics
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3549 days, 8 hours, 36 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 at 12:16 (GMT -5)

Deciding to fight a diamond golem and not to teleport immediately, resulting in a quick and painless death. :$

Off topic question: How do you kill those )#&(#! diamond golems?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/24/2005 at 12:17 (GMT -5) by Echo]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3089 days, 4 hours, 7 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 at 16:17 (GMT -5)

With bare hand usually... I've been killed by a diamond golem only once, because i was cursed and doomed.
Other then that, all my beastfighter and barbarians kill those without any problems. It's not THAT tough, GMs are harder.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5799 days, 4 hours, 55 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 at 05:45 (GMT -5)

Arrows of construct slaying.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Maniac
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 at 08:02 (GMT -5)

Diamond golems have PV about 50 and are more dangerous than greater molochs (PV=100) due to they speed. Of course, if PC haven't high damage, use weapons of construct slaying/penetration or phase daggers.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 14 hours, 32 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 at 18:19 (GMT -5)

My greatest misses:
Once - promising orcish priest. Was doing RotHK. Not much problem there. I dropped all my stuff in a pile. Picked up again what I needed for the fight. Made a frost bridge. Walked over it. Opened door. Ran out to dry land. Killed Skeleton King without much problems. Triumphantly picked up my stuff again. Walked onto the frost bridgeto grab the ring....

...SNAP (eaten by carnivorous fish)

Second was a very promising something. He wished for a ring of weakness (had saved khelly already).
While wearing it he dug out ogre cave (strained) for ore. I decided to kick around the rocks into piles to make the level look prettier. Pressed wrong key and kicked the wall...

...CRACK (died of broken leg)
Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

5656 days, 11 hours, 37 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 at 04:24 (GMT -5)

I've made dozens of stupid mistakes. Some who spring to mind:

Walking on think ice in the piranha lake with a very heavy backpack is a bad idea.

Forgetting to wear the blessed amulet of death ray resistance when trying to kick Nuurag's behind is another bad idea.

Pressing the wrong button and dipping the 5 scrolls of identify into a potion of raw chaos instead of a potion of holy water, thus causing a major spill is a very bad idea indeed.

Forgetting to remove that unholy aura corruption before trying to enter the great gift shoppe is a terrible idea.

Kicking rocks off your favourite altar might be a good idea. Kicking the altar itself is a bad idea.

Not to mention the numerous times I've had characters execute themselves with magic missiles and lightning bolts...
You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.
Fury
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 at 17:54 (GMT -5)

1. Walking through Terinyo w/o see invisible and walking into Kelly after he was saved.

2. Reading a scroll of item destruction instead of identify.

3. Accidentally sacrificing a God's Artifact gift.

4. Going for an Avatar of Balance Endind and walking though the Chaos gate w/o the requisite amount of corruptions. *SHRED*

I don't think death by luggage should count...I mean...who hasn't died like that at least once? Also on the "shouldn't count" list is self-immolation with big ass improved fireballs, or the eternal bounce of magic missiles. :)

Asdas
Registered user

Last page view:

6721 days, 12 hours, 21 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 at 08:50 (GMT -5)

One of my deaths:

After finding the stairs, I decided to fully explore the level. While walking, *bam* I fell into some pit trap(luckily without the vipers), my HP got down to 40 from 60, but I said "damn" and continued. Then, I came across a tension room, and took some time to kill it. I glanced at my HP, it was something like 15-20, but the level was clear. So I turned back and headed for the stairs. I saw the discovered pit trap again, and thought "he shouldn't be stupid enough to fall in THAT one again..." and took a step forward...

I believe you got the picture.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 at 11:35 (GMT -5)

LOL. I had the same with spear trap.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4927 days, 19 hours and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 at 13:38 (GMT -5)

I wonder if the chance of falling into the same pit twice is somehow dependant on your LE stat...
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Mellis
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 at 21:52 (GMT -5)

When a trap is discovered, you get a vast bonus to the roll that decides if the trap activates on you or not.

I guess it's mostly a matter of luck.
Gremlin killer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 at 01:48 (GMT -5)

Recently was in the mana temple in the narrow hallway, meant to cast mystic shovel but cast "magic missle" by accident- I had a +30 skill in that spell- cast it up so it hit me several times and brought me to -200 hp.
I was going for a chaos ending, too.
Sad to lose by error rather than lose to monster.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3727 days, 17 hours, 21 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 at 15:58 (GMT -5)

*sigh*

Eating the Cute Dog corpse.

I've done that too many times to count...

Word to the wise: Leave that dead dog where it is. Just tell the girl about him when you get back.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Asdas
Registered user

Last page view:

6721 days, 12 hours, 21 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 at 17:16 (GMT -5)

-Going into a dark room with low HP.

-Trying to take out the skeletal king without confusion resistance.

-Charging into a black wizard tension room.

-Charging into a doppleganger tension room with an archer.

-Assaulting the Mana Temple without any means to detect traps.

-Pressing the wrong key while doing alchemy.
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4927 days, 19 hours and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 at 09:28 (GMT -5)

Schorching the Healer with Burning Hands.

It happens all the time for me: I get so into the game that i can't really control myself, and schorch just about anything that gets in my way - be it friend or foe...
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 9 hours, 19 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 at 20:54 (GMT -5)

Walking straight into a dark room with a doomed character while having tons of light sources in your backpack. (I count: The Phial, amulets of light, scrolls of light, wands of light, and torches...)

I saved after drowning the Darkforge pools, hoping to get a wish for an AoLS (unsuccessfully), and forgot about the dooming afterwards. Lesson learned. In future I will not stop playing until I get rid of dooming... To ensure I don't forget stuff like that anymore.

The only positive thing is that I'm merely lacking but one death cause in my collection: The drowning in my own vomit. :) Gotta try that next time...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
BattleAxe
Registered user

Last page view:

6304 days, 9 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 at 21:33 (GMT -5)

Recently I was in the ToEF, was badly injured by the ACW and the other creatures at the top level. Was trying to drink the PoEH but instead drunk the potion of blindness. One of the creatures killed me next turn.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 at 05:58 (GMT -5)

LOL that's a common mistake. Same happened to me but with scroll of dark predictions instead of scroll of teleportation and in the Air Temple.
Got my SoT ripped by electro next turn.
And died.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3549 days, 8 hours, 36 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 at 06:22 (GMT -5)

You can't teleport in temple levels anyway, lol.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 at 06:36 (GMT -5)

Yes, but there my 1st concern was to get away.
And I didn't think of that.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5024 days, 5 hours, 21 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 at 04:58 (GMT -5)

One of my worst occured yesterday. Lvl 19 Grey Elven Priest. I found a wand of wishing in a ratling vault two levels below the animated forest.

I was over the moon, it had 4 charges.

Rushed back to dwarftown in order to rest up, sell things, and of course play with my Wand of Wishing. First though I thought, I'll chat to that nice chap Thrundarr since I've just completed his second quest.

In my rush to get through it all, I accidentally hit him

I wasn't happy.

Waldenbrook rounded the corner and proceeded to knock me senseless with a gold coin.

Damn it!

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: