Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Books

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Hassinen
Registered user

Last page view:

8153 days, 20 hours, 33 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2001 at 11:32 (GMT -5)

Hello all. I'm a newbie to the forum but have found the community to consist of nice people by a couple of weeks of lurking. Now my Q:

My gray elven wizard (now lvl 14) started in the infinite dungeon for a couple of levels and has done the beginning quests (sheriff's both quests and druid quest, also late dive into PC), and now he's on his way to CoC, but is fairly low on his bolt spells(at least i think so). Probably something like 400 points memorized together in acid, lightning and frost bolt. Having played very little magic users I'm a total n00b with them. I'm surprised that I haven't found many books and I've even tried to conserve my spells by using my long sword pretty much but still I think I'm running out of them.

So what is (in your opinion) the best place to search for books?
If something can go wrong, it will.
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7922 days, 19 hours, 27 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2001 at 12:05 (GMT -5)

Hmm, I got lucky and found a few bookstores generated in caves. Have you visited the High Mountain Village? Leggot may have some books, but it will be hard if you haven't been there yet because you have to go through the SMC. (you know the staircase in the SMC? Go down it and after about eight levels you end up in the village (fortunately they aren't as difficult as SMC). Then if you search the city walls you'll find a stair leading to the mountains on the other side of the world map, so you don't have to go through the SMC again.

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5662 days, 12 hours, 8 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2001 at 21:07 (GMT -5)

also if you can wait a while, at the bottom of the Rift is a library with 1 of every spell book. but you have to have WI >20 or PE=1, climbing at 100, and be lvl 20 to even enter the rift.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 hours, 48 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2001 at 21:43 (GMT -5)

Wizards should find more books that most people too, so if you are desperate a trip to the Infinate dungeon should result in some books.

I usualy dive down to about level 5 and then explore my way back up, more often than not you'll find at least 2-3 books during this trip. Can't guarante they will be the books you need though.

A trick to get your spells to last a little longer is to only read your starting books once. Carry them with you (or leave them in a safe place if you are paranoid about traps and such), and gain a handfull of levels and max out your concentration skill before you finish reading the books. That way you'll get a lot more "charges" out of them... If you are realy lucky and find one of those special rooms with lots of bricks that look like a bookshelf (don't remember the exact message, but you'll know if you find one), read your books there. You should get significantly better results that way. Not that this will help in your current situation if you don't have any books to read in the first place, but it's nice to know for future refererence.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Ademon
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2001 at 23:50 (GMT -5)

Also, the higher your learning score the more points you get out of your reading them.
For example I have a char with Learning of 99 and got a couple thousand points from just one read.
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7650 days, 20 hours and 10 minutes ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 at 01:40 (GMT -5)

druid dungeon gives a lot spellbooks (atleast sometimes) for wizards.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 at 02:03 (GMT -5)

And wizards (esp. Gray elf ones) really should find loads of them in ID. I have found that scumming ID levels 3-5 should give lots of spellbooks. Or maybe you are just extremely unlucky.
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5662 days, 12 hours, 8 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 at 10:46 (GMT -5)

female dark elven priest (maybe wisard too, haven't tried) just about anywhere = LOTS of books. i found 8 or so in the first 2 levels of the black druid's cave. (was playing for flavor more than game play, am reading a book where female dark elves are much more powerful than males...)

ivan.sourceforge.net

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: