Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / !

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3571 days, 15 hours, 36 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 at 13:01 (GMT -5)

K, I was clearing up the bottom level of the dwarven graveyard, when I saw something interesting in the pile below me... A glowing wand! This is the first wish I have ever gotten on my 4 year ADOM career! And, it... it had 6 charges!! I wished for AoLS, 7LBs, 2 GoGS (first one got wasted), eternium platemail (then got damaged by damnd vampire) and I'm planning to spend the last wish on rings of ice! I feel like a spoiled little brat!

Just felt like sharing!
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 at 13:06 (GMT -5)

Btw, how do amulets of protection from 'foo' exactly work?
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5821 days, 11 hours, 54 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 at 13:21 (GMT -5)

WELCOME TO HELL! I AM RNG AND I CAME TO TAKE YOU AWAY! HERE IS A HIGHLY EXPERIENCED CHAOS WIZARD AND A GREATER TITAN! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyeay Congrats.
For the second, they are like amulets of prot +x just better and protect only from that type and its specials, AFAIK.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

pls dnt, pls
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5821 days, 11 hours, 54 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 at 13:37 (GMT -5)

Ok, the price for survival is your ENTIRE loot, except 1 gold piece. OR YOU'LL HAVE ANDOR DRAKON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 21 hours, 31 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 at 16:46 (GMT -5)

Amulet of protection from X....
I've seen X={undead,constructs}
As far as I know, they block the "special" effects of X's attacks. So no DV, PV increases, but less chance of stat drain etc (if X=undead) or speed loss (if X=constructs, and the construct is a clay golem).
It's been reported that when X=undead, the amulet will protect against the fatality of banshee's wail, instead giving a measly 100+ (or 200+) damage.

Things to wish for : Don't forget skills. Good end-game skill can be alchemy (extra healing and gain attributes), find weakness (of course), concentration (spell learning and PP gain), food preservation (for corpse effect scumming), athletics (speed increases). Take a look at the skill-list in the manual and see if you might want others.
For items, consider a ring of weakness (eat ogres and grow strong, 12 ogres/giants and you've done as well as a GOGS). And of course, if you plan on starting a farm, you should wish for "sheep". As one Norwegian minister once said, "Sheep are all-right animals".
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5982 days, 6 hours, 15 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 at 17:44 (GMT -5)

If you can write - wish for magical writing sets and write up to a dozen of scrolls of education with them.
Blank scrolls are easily made from rubbish like scrolls of darkness.

I generally think that wishing for writing sets for spellcasters is the right way to get skills. You might, of course, still miss what you're looking for, but at least you'll have no skill increases wasted for something like +1 to Ventriloquism.

And if you reat enough scrolls of education though the game, you even might get *all* skills available. And that's quite an achievemnet. Especially a Law skill for crowned champion of Ballance...
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1220 days, 3 hours, 44 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 at 23:39 (GMT -5)

Pfft, don't wish for Sheep unless you want a particularly nasty suprise.

Get some Eternium weapons, or a Phase dagger or something ;P
Maniac
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 at 05:19 (GMT -5)

>you should wish for "sheep".
I think it will be the last "sheep" in PC's life. But it of course can be usefull against some strong monsters (if you have beeswax). Somewere I saw early topic about "what do you wish for?" And all answers there was nearly identical to those wich are in guidebook: AoLS, 7LB, SoCR (or writing set), SoE, RoEM, Phase daggers, and some skills. Some not-so-skilled players wish even for woodcraft :)
Portrait
dosquarts
Registered user
Cooked lizard

Last page view:

6298 days, 14 hours, 33 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 at 14:14 (GMT -5)

Speaking about getting all the skills.. I've always thought that, for the sake of completion (and to give a ~lvl 20 PC something to do while preparing for the CoC dive), it would be nice if you could learn some other secondary skills from NPC's; you know, just to feel good about having an extra skill in the skill list, even if it's not really useful... makes you feel that your PC is more... complete.

What I'm thinking about here is, i.e., being able to learn Music from the Mad Minstrel after doing something for him, or it could even be a hidden feature, i.e. give him a certain item that would trigger it ("Oh, this blessed glockenspiel brings back memories... I'll teach ye the art of Music!"). Other ideas include giving a number of corpses to a goodwife, eventually she'd say "'Tis a shame to let all of that food go to waste. I'd better cook it so it lasts. Here, pay attention and ye might learn something." (and, lo, you would learn the Cooking skill.)

Opinions? Might be a good RFE to post at the main site, although God knows if it would do any difference.

I also had another idea, though it hasn't got much to do with the previous: I've been playing a PC who *always* found rooms with smell of carrots, now has a perception score of ~60 I think, and a strength of about 20. Made me wish I could have a guaranteed way to swap those stats. The Idea: Implement the possibility of Chaotic PC's to give ~10 potions of exchange to the Mad Doctor, eventually he'd say "I've managed to create a potent brew from all yer stuff! Shall we do a little... experiment?" and the PC would be allowed to swap his stats around in any way he wants, or maybe a maximum of 2 stats to exchange. Like drinking a PoEx, only being able to decide how you want it.
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 at 14:56 (GMT -5)

Pretty good ideas, dos.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 at 16:34 (GMT -5)

To say that these ideas will make the gameplay more pleasant is one thing.
However, I shudder at the idea of these features becoming part of 'playing schedule' for spoiled players.
Like "started the game, went to puppy cave. Collected ant corpses, returned to village - gave them to goodwife - learnt cooking".

As for Exchange - It's cute. I remember training To while sick to 30, then some another abuse - I think its 'very-very-light' corruption (=> ~35), then PoEX, and my To swapped with Ma! I was so glad... Now this char (Drakish Priest) has about 52 Ma at lvl 33, and I hope I'll manage to complete normal ending. To loss was quickly recovered by Morgia.
:)
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Portrait
dosquarts
Registered user
Cooked lizard

Last page view:

6298 days, 14 hours, 33 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 at 17:20 (GMT -5)

I know what you mean. :-/

My idea precisely is to have this as "other miscellaneous things to do" to break the monotony in those oh so usual moments when your 'playing schedule' gets stuck (classic example: scumming for AoLS to save Kh, you've spent the past week trying to find one, can't, but your character is so very promising that you want to do things right... at times like this you'd give anything to have some other things for your PC to do, even if it's just to take a break).

That is precisely why I suggested unimportant skills: If I had suggested being able to learn, say, Alertness from an NPC, EVERY player who didn't have the skill would go for it, thus it would be part of that 'playing schedule'. Whereas, I don't think anyone really cares about the Cooking skill. So, this feature would just be a nice little "side quest", sitting there in case you want to stop and do something different for a while.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 at 18:38 (GMT -5)

That's a part of Jade already :)
TB, if I'm not wrong, told something like "ADOM is quite complete at the moment. Future versions are to be minor bugfixes, and, possibly, some mends in the ballance".
I'm not really sure what would make Jade release closer... Mayhap if TB had more free time...

Suddenly a voice booms in your head:
THOUGH SHALL NOT MOCK THE CREATOR!
You die...
Ubi patria ibi bene!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?