Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Magical Writing Sets

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
SenseAndViolets
Registered user

Last page view:

6781 days, 21 hours, 49 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 at 18:47 (GMT -5)

I was writing a scroll.. and died! ugh. :[ The set dissapeared, but didn't seem to "explode" or the like... can someone tell me what happened?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 11 hours, 15 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 at 20:39 (GMT -5)

What kind of scroll did you try to write?

Whatever it was, you apparently didn't have the skills to do so... I don't know, but putting magical stuff on paper probably requires being adept at magic as well as knowledge of magical runes, and mistakes could well be fatal. Wizards and maybe other spellcasters are less likely to be injured, drained or killed and stuff.

If you want to write scrolls, have blessed writing sets and preferably blessed blank scrolls as well. Using cursed stuff should probably generally be avoided. High Literacy (100!) is essential. High Learning probably as well. Maybe high Willpower too? And Perception? Or Mana?

The Guidebook has very few information on writing scrolls, except for the all-desirable scroll of chaos resistance. Any use of an uncursed writing set or blank scroll causes severe loss of hit-points; they both should be blessed. Even so, the chances of success aren't high. If you're not a wizard, your mana gets drained by *ten* points during the process. (wizards lose only about three only)

I don't have any actual experience in writing scrolls, though. Never came up while playing (And my main goal still is to *win* the damn game!). But I am almost certain that the more powerful the scroll is, the more dangerous it is to try to write it. Has anyone done some research on it? Like, what's the easiest scroll to write, so you could try it out and check whether you would be well advised to refrain from writing the Big Ones?
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
SenseAndViolets
Registered user

Last page view:

6781 days, 21 hours, 49 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 at 00:03 (GMT -5)

Hrm... thanks for the thoughts.

I was playing a Paladin, kind of spell-casty, 100 literacy, and decent 20-something learning, also had drank a potion of boost. I was trying to write a scroll of chaos resistance of course :o, had succeeded three times in the past, and failed once with no hp loss, so didn't think twice about it. I had failed to notice the mana drain--guess I should've known, nothing comes *that* easy.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 at 05:52 (GMT -5)

Personally, I avoid writing SoCR even with wizards unless I absolutely have to. The mana drain for wizards is obviously damaging, whilst for other professions it is even more extreme (although probably less relevant). Besides, there are plenty of guaranteed SoCR in the game if you know where to find them.

However, apart from SoCR there are some other scrolls worth writing. If you ever manage to find a scroll of education (in my experience they tend to be pretty rare) then replicate it as quickly as possible with your writing set! Likewise, scrolls of protection, defence, increase melee accuracy, and increase melee damage can all be useful (especially when blessed) provided you don't have decent artifact armour/weapons and either can't (or don't want to) smith. Scrolls of familiar summoning can also be profitably written and employed (particularly when going up against orb guardians - especially in the ToEF - or on D50). Oh, and scrolls of teleportation can prove life-savers for characters without any other means of on-demand teleportation.

And the best thing about all of these other scrolls is that (again in my experience - at last when playing wizards) they are much easier to write than SoCR and have less (if any) negative consequences!
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5960 days, 1 hour, 10 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 at 06:40 (GMT -5)

Writing scrolls of education is, without a doubt, a thing that makes Wishing for 'magical writing sets' worth it.
They're certainly my wish #3 - after AoLS and 7LBs.

For wizards writing SoCR might be quite, quite useful. When you find and chew enough Kobold Shamans, drink a few PoGA's, and rely basically on casting, your Ma might reach potential maximum. That's a very good time to write a SoCR! Your Ma wil be lowered by 2-3 pts, allowing you to keep training it with spellcasting, regaining lost points relatively fast. Just keep bookcasting something like 'Create Item', which trains Ma quite good due to high PP cost and be happy! :D This is obviously so when you don't find enough potions of (potential) mana.
Ubi patria ibi bene!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: