Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Talents

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Bouchart
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 at 18:46 (GMT -5)

Hey everyone, I'm new here but I've been lurking for a little while.

I'd like your opinions on which talents you think are most useful for a given situation. I noticed that some of you really like Treasure Hunter, but is it worth spending a talent in Alert and Miser, which are both relatively weak? Thank you.
BcotN
Registered user
SoaD junkie

Last page view:

6507 days, 4 hours, 31 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 at 20:48 (GMT -5)

treasure hunter and heir are my fav talents. and the answer is yes. IMO they both make up for it. I mean, a mindcrafter starting with an empowered robe of protection [+0, +5] is awesome.
You die...
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 13 hours, 51 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 at 06:18 (GMT -5)

Treasure Hunter is totally worth the two prerequisites. I always spend my starting talent on Alert, and get Treasure Hunter ASAP.

Heir is nice to help you survive the early game, but you need three starting talents to get it. If I start out with three starting talents, though, I still spend them on getting Treasure Hunter, ignoring Heir (The usefulness of Heir is highly class-dependent. IIRC, Bards get seven league boots, which is enormously valuable).

Having *four* starting talents lets you get access to both Heir and Treasure Hunter, which is desirable, but hard to achieve. Playing gnomish or hurthling bards born under Candle is the only entirely guaranteed way to get this.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6360 days, 14 hours, 51 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 at 10:03 (GMT -5)

It amuses me when people say Treasure Hunter is useful, because nobody has quantified its effects. Still, I _always_ get it, just in case it is that useful.

I typically do the PV-related talents, the carrying capacity talents, and sometimes the archery-related ones. In the early game, I typically get whatever will help that particular character survive.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5826 days, 9 hours, 26 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 at 14:14 (GMT -5)

With an archer, xxx Shot is a must.
Treasure Hunter gets you more good quality items, so an unidentified crude spear, for example, will be more likely an orcish spear of disruption when yuo pick it up.
And yes, bards have Heir as a highly recommended talent.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Bouchart
Registered user
Esteemed Grand Mystic Ruler

Last page view:

2330 days, 2 hours, 18 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 at 15:19 (GMT -5)

Yeah as an archer I always get those shot talents.

I usually go for most defensive-style talents (except very careful, which I sometimes get only for mage types), long stride and sometimes carrying ones.
"Your alternatives are locked, wisehead!"
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5987 days, 3 hours, 46 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 at 16:23 (GMT -5)

A long road begins with a first step...

Long stride, of course! That 50 energy points for movement in combination with a slight speed increase from Athletics and/or items, and/or speed talents and/or anything that adds to speed makes running from cats much easier :)

As well as angry stone giants %(

Till you get 7LB's, of course.

Las thing to make clear is if this bonus of 50 (leading to 950) stacks with 7LB's bonus of 500(?).

Surely, If my char has 1 (oh, my!) starting talent, my first one is Alert. And only then, after getting miser and Treasure Hunter, I take 'long stride'. However, 'long stride' usually has higher priority than most others because I think that while a char is relatively weak, it's best to be able to run faster :)
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 at 17:16 (GMT -5)

Andy's GB suggests that treasure hunter produces more items - not necessarily better quality ones. I nearly always opt for it nonetheless even though, as palagran points out, the effects are not well quantified.

I rarely bother taking Heir. It costs a lot of talents and IMHO it's not worth it apart from bards. All in all, I find that most of the talents are of little significance.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5140 days, 19 hours, 3 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 at 13:53 (GMT -5)

I always end up getting Treasure hunter. (Im a hoarder)

I always get long stride, as the first talent (after Alert) for the ability to run away from things.
I almost always get the PV talents, for better survival at the beginning game, where PV really does matter. Also the 'hardy' prerequisite actually helps my low-hp-races survive too.
I tend to get porter -> packager -> beast talents, for convenience (since I'm a hoarder) but I realize that it's not needed. I can make stashes, but I still always get 'em.

Other talents just for the heck of it, but long stride and PV are the ones that help me live.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

Actually, if you have low HP, you'll die anyways of powerful monsters, and if you have high HP, then you don't need Hardy. And PV talents are waste, if you are a fighter, you are already good enough, and if you're a good spellcaster, then you don't need it, and if you are a merchant, you get Filthy Rich and get a good weapon from a shop. Screw Hardy.
Porter is enough, btw.
Long stride is good.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Asdas
Registered user

Last page view:

6748 days, 16 hours, 52 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 at 14:42 (GMT -5)

If you're a dwarf, the PV talents are a "must" IMO. +6-7 to PV is a big difference even in mid-game.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 at 14:48 (GMT -5)

Considerable, but still not necessary; and in the endgame 6-7 PV is not a difference.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6626 days, 3 hours, 53 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 at 14:59 (GMT -5)

Starting:

Alert - Long life

Normally:

Tre. Hunt line - Healthy - Long Stride - Speed line - Porter line - DV line - whatever

If only I could have more talents...
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Asdas
Registered user

Last page view:

6748 days, 16 hours, 52 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 at 10:08 (GMT -5)

And no one expects to win the game by talents as well.

But they are great early-mid game helpers, and must have decreased the rate of death of many low level characters.
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5051 days, 9 hours, 52 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 at 05:45 (GMT -5)

Like a lot of people, I always go for Treasure Hunter ASAP. I also like the Speed talents, always very useful. Heir is interesting, but as Gozer mentions above, it does take a lot to obtain it. Plus it's always annoying when that one particular item blows up in a door trap.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 at 13:32 (GMT -5)

By saying "speed line" I only go for missles cost reduction ones. Forgot to add that.
My RL dumpyard:

Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 at 13:43 (GMT -5)

Somehow Charged is pretty good for me with a wizard.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 at 09:58 (GMT -5)

Charged's goodness is argueable, but I also am a fan of it.
My RL dumpyard:

benappo
Registered user

Last page view:

6676 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 at 10:27 (GMT -5)

I think Heir is a good talent for a thief. An adamantium dagger of penetration is an awesome low level weapon and will a few Scrolls of Melee accuracy/Damage and a few dagger marks, becomes a good weapon later on, especially against those pesky molachs and earth elementals.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 at 06:33 (GMT -5)

I hope you mean pesky "Moloch's" not "Molach's"...

By the way, the name Molach was coined a long time before I ever heard about the ADOM game. I used it in about every MUD I played. It is loosely based on "Moloch", a devil/demon mentioned in the bible, or at least in some sort of ancient scriptures.
benappo
Registered user

Last page view:

6676 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 at 08:14 (GMT -5)

Oops! Sorry Molach,

I of course meant molochs.

Out of interest, would an adamantium dagger of penetration 2-shot a Molach? ;)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 at 10:11 (GMT -5)

Being a straight guy, I tend to stay away from objects labelled "penetrating", so I really wouldn't know... Okay sorry, off-topic here.

About talents - they are a way to offset a particular r/c disadvantages. So PV for chars that start without good PV armor is a good choice, I find. Speed for those without athletics or Raven to get a bit over 100 speed.
Good/Great learner for Trolls.
Etc.
A few classes get very nice Heir gifts, but some are just silly. Wand of fire for wizards? Right, yeah like Im ever gonna use that.
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4954 days, 23 hours, 32 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 at 15:02 (GMT -5)

Every bit of help is a good thing in the start of a game, you know. Don't underestimate the effect a good wand can have if used properly..

As for me, i play version 1.0.0, so i never see those talents. ^^
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 at 15:14 (GMT -5)

Raven, IMO, is not 'just' for those who don't have athletics.
'Ravenous' paladin who takes speed talent line can expect to increase his/her speed to 127!!! [100 +10 for Raven, +8 athletics +9 for speed line] without any side thingies like quickling corpses and training Dx really hard (wich would yield another couple of points). This line sometimes serves not as a mere crutch for the lame, but as setting char's abilities to the edge.
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 13 hours, 51 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 at 19:06 (GMT -5)

Ravenous _high elven_ paladin taking the speed line. How 'bout this? 129 Speed at least, even without training. :)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 at 06:41 (GMT -5)

I'd reccomend Dark Elven.
Dodge of high elf vs Find Weakness and Alertness of dark elf... You know what I mean. Alignment is not a problem at all at low levels.
Ubi patria ibi bene!
sad the archer
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 at 02:04 (GMT -5)

the initial talents i prefer: Learned, then other talents which are modifiers of attributes (cause they are available only at initial talent roll)
Then in the game first of all i choose talent Good Learner then Great Learner

That's all, other talents depend on race/class and game situation. IMHO ! if you have something to correct me, please do it.
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 at 05:09 (GMT -5)

It's never "right" or "wrong" picking a particular talent. Just that some talent are more useful overall than the others under some circumstances.
My RL dumpyard:

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3598 days, 15 hours, 31 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 at 11:05 (GMT -5)

I'd rather be best at something than good at everything, that's why I pick for example raven and the speed line +long stride if I can, all magical talents for wizards, the Hp line for fighters...
I know that fighters have enough? hp but as I said above, I like to be best at something.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1225 days, 1 hour and 16 minutes ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 at 16:24 (GMT -5)

If im playing a dwarven melee character of any type, i find it almost mandatory to take the +PV talents all the way to Mithril skin, simply because they are the only ones that can get it.

I strive for Treasure finder with some of the weaker, more item dependant classes. Missile weapon mastery with archers, and Melee weapon mastery with fighters.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: