Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / "Shrugging off" spells

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

565 days, 22 hours, 2 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 at 08:27 (GMT -5)

What does the message mean? When I was a beginner, I thought it implied the monsters was immune against this effect. However, it appears that monsters can "shrug off" even spells they are otherwise very vulnerable to - for example lightning bolts on steel golems, or fireballs on Rehetep, or acid balls on Keriax.

What determines the chance to have a monster shrug off a spell? How do you reduce it?
Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5611 days, 1 hour, 33 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 at 08:39 (GMT -5)

I guess shrugging off is either dodging the bolt or resisting its effect. IIRC higher level bolt spells are more rarely shrugged off so it could be resisting it.

If even ball spells can be shrugged off (can't remember if I have encountered it) then it probably is resisting it. After all, how can one avoid something if (s)he is completely surrounded by it.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 at 09:11 (GMT -5)

Well, a definite fire immunity for example yields the effect: "It resists the searing flames." If I get that message, I know there's nothing to be done, if it's "shrugging it off", repeated attempts might do the trick.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5611 days, 1 hour, 33 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 at 09:15 (GMT -5)

I wasn't talking about immunity, I was talking about resistance. I presume monsters that are not downright immune to some element still have a chance at resisting the attack.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3574 days, 18 hours, 35 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 at 15:08 (GMT -5)

By the way, are there any monsters *immune* to magic missile?
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5139 days, 30 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 at 15:17 (GMT -5)

Shrug is comparible to the (bolt spell, stun/death ray or whatever) hitting AIR in stead of target. As in the monster simply avoids it, like a character with high alertness or luck can do. Therefore no resistance is factored in. Because it did not hit at all, so nothing to resist.

Shrug must be some sort of percentage, as you can hit one time and miss the next.
One thing that does affect the percentage is:
Monster type. (Eyes of destruction have good shrug, kobolds have a miniscule shrug)

Factors which might affect shrug could be:
Monster experience level (Smarted monster: "Next time that PC starts muttering strange words, I'll throw myself to one side")
Spell type (e.g. stun ray easier to shrug than magic missile?)
Spell efficiency
Spell range (better odds hitting nearby targets?)
Character level
Character class
Character race
Character stat (dexterity or mana or even perception?)

Anyone done research on this?

I'm not even sure if monsters have resistance.
(Like for instance Diablo II, monsters could be 90% resistant to fire, meaning little damage. 100% and they'd be called immune and take no damage)
We know for sure that they have immunities, and that they can have weaknesses (..badly injured by...) but who know if they have a certain resistance-factor vs. any/all of the elements? Anyway I dont think shrug has anything to do with that. And I don't think they have resistance wither. Mabye if they equipped some bracers of resistance...
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3895 days, 16 hours, 52 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 at 16:23 (GMT -5)

Echo: no monsters are immune to magic missile
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4503 days, 16 hours, 58 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 at 19:02 (GMT -5)

Shrug off simply means that monsters can deflect magical bolt spells as if they were missiles (doppelgangers do that with regular missiles).
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 at 19:08 (GMT -5)

However, dopplegangers *always* do this with regular missiles (or at least at the levels I've played archers up to). Shrugging off isn't guaranteed afaik.
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 at 13:11 (GMT -5)

According to Molach's theory shrugging off spells means the monster *dodges* the spell rather than resisting it. Now consider this example: Some monsters often shrug off fire bolts and some monsters often shrug of frost bolts instead. Does that mean that some monsters are better at dodging fire bolts and some are better at dodging frost bolts? That doesn't make any sense. :p

Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4065 days, 19 hours, 18 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 at 14:46 (GMT -5)

Were the spells of the same effectivity when you tried this?

Besides, it could make sense. Maybe a monster can have a better way of predicting the way of incoming bolt spells dependant on their type. Maybe the monster who shrugs off all that fire bolts has fought only against wizards using fire bolts, and never against wizards using, say, acid bolt.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 at 11:50 (GMT -5)

Hmm, consider this: Molochs move slowly and are very easily hit because of their low DV. Then how come they 'dodge' nearly every incoming bolt...? Quicklings are lightning-fast and have great DV. Then how come they cannot 'dodge' bolt spells at all?

Ha, disproved ya ;)
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4065 days, 19 hours, 18 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 at 13:40 (GMT -5)

You won't get me that easily!

Remember that Alertness is most effective for dodging spells, not DV gained by Dodge or items or weapon skill ;) I'd say molochs have an Alertness score of 100 (or still very high), while they don't have the Dodge skill at all.

Quicklings, of course, are so fast they think "Thatguycanthitmeanywaycauseimsofast". That's the reason they are not alert at all and easy to surprise by super-fast bolt spells.

Ha, disproved ya BETTER ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4503 days, 16 hours, 58 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 at 14:58 (GMT -5)

As I said it's "deflecting" not "dodging". Non moving monsters would still be able to shrug off bolts...
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
NMBLN
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 at 23:22 (GMT -5)

Prehaps it's when the spell's damage roll is so low that it doesn't do any damage, being prevented by PV or some other form of reduction.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3753 days, 3 hours, 20 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 at 12:10 (GMT -5)

Possibly. Steel golems do have very high PVs.

I suppose either PV or DV preventing your bolt doing any damage would result in the "shrugging off" message.

However, I do notice that when bolts hit, they seem to do full damage... So perhaps it has something to do with a roll against DV?
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 09:31 (GMT -5)

According to Falldowngoboom's database some monsters have a 'Shrug off' intrinsic.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: