Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / AoLS how to get one?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5469 days, 14 hours, 10 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 at 19:54 (GMT -5)

I am looking for an AoLS to save Khelly with, but I cannot find one. Where should I go or what should I do. I have already drained Darkforge. Help.

-F50
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
melonhead
Registered user
The tasty

Last page view:

6659 days, 17 hours, 47 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 at 22:55 (GMT -5)

wish for it lol

To all things an end must come..yours will be swift im sure....
Bolto
Registered user

Last page view:

6090 days, 8 hours, 43 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 at 00:58 (GMT -5)

An AoLS is a very rare item and a lot of people don't find one before Khelly.

You could scum ID in the hopes of finding a AoLS or a RoDS for a wish when blessed.

Or you can try finding other pools though darkforge is really the only granteed pools in the game apart from the stone circle which you should never drink from
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6118 days, 3 hours, 23 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 at 02:25 (GMT -5)

the gremlin trick, see the water thread...
*<< Words go here >>*

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/13/2005 at 02:27 (GMT -5) by *Chaos Muffin*]
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 at 06:09 (GMT -5)

If I'm not lucky enough to pick up an AoLS, RoDS, or WoWi through my normal adventuring, then my general strategy is:

1. Dig up the graveyard.
2. Gremlin bomb.
3. Drain the pools in darkforge.

The gremlin bomb nearly always works (eventually). Oh, and with the great bookcaster talent, wizards are pretty much guaranteed an AoLS via the guaranteed spellbook of wish in the secret library.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5981 days, 13 hours, 22 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 at 16:13 (GMT -5)

'Wish' befre Kelly - You'll just die from boredom before being able to cast one.
Ubi patria ibi bene!
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 at 20:51 (GMT -5)

>Dig up the graveyard

I'd rather try my luck in the ToEF, My character can handle *that* but I'm not going to try my luck with an emperor lich!

>Gremlin bomb.

ive killed over 1000 gremlins in the cave and have never found *anything* useful (used >200 castings of light).
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3749 days, 7 hours, 29 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 at 21:24 (GMT -5)

That's because the gremlin cave has a very low item generation. You have to kill gremlins elsewhere to take advantage of this strategy.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4949 days, 9 hours, 8 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 at 21:49 (GMT -5)

You have to pickpocket those gremlins to make it work, you know..
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 at 23:18 (GMT -5)

ok, so which levels of the ID are the best for AoLS scumming?

-Maelstrom
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 at 23:24 (GMT -5)

OR... how many blessed PoEX would I need to get RoDS or WoWi from morphing and which of the two should I go for?

-Maelstrom
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 4 hours, 39 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 at 10:23 (GMT -5)

I make it 28 types of wand, and 29 types of rings.
So chance is pretty equal. But I've always heard of people morphing rings, not sure why though.

You might need just the one :)
Otherwise, to give you a statistical 50% chance of a rings-morph you need to dip 21 times(assuming 1/29 chance of rings turning to RoDS each time).

Oh yeah, this does not account for danger level of place to dip. If you can rule out some ring types (and Im pretty sure you can) then you would get a higher chance than I say, and also probably higher than with wands.
Remember to give booze to drunk, he might generate PoEx (PoGA are good too)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/15/2005 at 10:25 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5759 days, 4 hours, 20 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 at 10:49 (GMT -5)

Perhaps people morph rings because rings stack, and if you have a stack of 19 junk rings you might be able to convert it into 19 RoDS.
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 at 16:34 (GMT -5)

so basically I get quite a few wishes if I can get my hands on 21+ PoEX. guess its time for wilderness scumming. I don't have a lot of rings though :(. I have heard of the wish factory and might as well use it then.

-Maelstrom
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3570 days, 22 hours, 43 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 at 17:27 (GMT -5)

I recommend gremlin scumming. It's so simple really. Do it in the dwarven halls, pickpocket every gremlin and you *will* get that wish or AoLS you need...
Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

5678 days, 1 hour, 44 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 05:42 (GMT -5)

Just curious: Where do you guys get your fluffballs? I know you usually find them in the Gremlin Cave, but I almost always skip that place.
You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 09:29 (GMT -5)

Gremlin cave and randomly...
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

562 days, 2 hours, 11 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 11:32 (GMT -5)

Extended scumming in the Dwarven Halls? And what if a greater moloch, frost giant emperor or some such critter happens to turn up in there while you're doing it? The danger level is insane, almost as bad as SMC if not worse...
Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 12:11 (GMT -5)

A wand of door creation fixes the problem. Create one on the corridor you kill the gremlins in. Then lock it with the corresponding key or magic lock. Kill those gremlins with ease... If feeling scared, read a scroll of peace... lol. Rhymes. What comes to the corruption in that place, it's cured by those scrolls Khelly drops, of course!

By the way, if you do DH gremlin scumming, be sure to have the teleport spell or a wand of teleporting with you, just in case... And watch those HPs when killing 'em.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/16/2005 at 12:13 (GMT -5) by Echo]
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3891 days, 21 hours and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 13:52 (GMT -5)

Most of the very dangerous creatures spawned in the DH can smash doors
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3749 days, 7 hours, 29 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 14:50 (GMT -5)

Just the big ones--giants, molochs, and such.

DH isn't a bad place once you've passed the ToEF; by then you can handle just about anything it dishes out. Still, DH seems to have a high monster-generation rate; you're better off in a level that's lower and less populated (just before Khelly's level, for example). If you have a long lifespan, death ray resistance, petrification resistance, and controlled teleport, however, you can pretty easily survive DH.

A technique I use when I know I may need to get out of dangerous levels fast: Surround the stairs with doors, lock the doors, and teleport right onto the stairs when you need to. I use this mostly with the Animated Forest but it can be useful in the SmC and DH, too. I'm not sure if it works with a certain water dragon, but it might. I'll have to try zapping doors in there.

And, yes, monsters can smash doors... you're betting on the chance that a random monster doesn't wander by, smash them, and stand in the spot; a safe enough gamble when the monster isn't chasing you (which is when they're most likely to smash doors--when you close and lock a door that's between you and them, and they can see you).
Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/16/2005 at 14:51 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 16:57 (GMT -5)

well, its passed day 90 now, so im going to quit this character. guess learning pickpockets from yergus is something to do even when initially lawful with detect traps. getting to NL isn't that hard with a neutral alter. I think the best place to scum for gremlins would be the UD since it has the highest generation of special effects.

Also, I would *never* scum DH because of the coruption.

-Maelstrom
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5981 days, 13 hours, 22 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 18:07 (GMT -5)

Why quitting because of time? If you're going for normal ending - just get L+ crowned to get some resistance to ChAoS, save Kelly, visit library, and you'll have enough corruption-removals to survive through background corruption.
Ubi patria ibi bene!
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 18:32 (GMT -5)

actually you are right Nchurmdaz, *if* I can find an AoLS before I get utterly bored then this character will hopefully make it to the chaos gate

-Maelstrom
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 at 04:15 (GMT -5)

DH has a high danger level, but I meant gremlin scummin there. You just make sure to create the water trap in a BIG enough room (40+ spaces) and voila - no other monsters are generated because there are too many gremlins. This is, in fact, a good to pacify the DH levels. You can lock up the gremlins with a common key (or magic lock) and then leave and come back and scum more if you need to

Only problem is of course the corruption. But again, compared to the loot you get it's worth it.

Some danger levels:
DH:1= 40
DH:2= 45
And CoC level is equal to level number, (D:32=32)
Blue dragon cave and unreal (track to mana temple) = 48 (Because they are connected to D:48)
Dwarven graveyard top level=20 (but corruption free)
Water dragon lair=20
ToEF=24-27
ID is level number, up to 45.

However, I do not have access to the danger level needed to generate different kinds of equipment. I think I remember that RoDS need danger level 8. So you polypile rings at D:8, because there are higher-level rings you avoid giving a higher probability to hit the jackpot. (Don't know how many of the rings are higher so I can't give any figures). But this is a matter of chance anyway, you aren't guaranteed anything even with 50 of them.

The UD has no special item generation, only dungeon feature generation.
Levels 1-4 in UD have no chance of RoDS anyway, but 5-8 have.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/17/2005 at 08:13 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 at 07:22 (GMT -5)

Demented ratling and Gaab'Baay are both satisfied now. My next question is, when exactly is Darknight? I've been waiting at the ancient stone circle for it to come... It's around day 85 now. What day is it?

Can a level 27 human wizard with almost all the spells, including acid ball, 298 hps, 302 pps, kill the chaos dragon? I have a wish to spare.
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 at 07:31 (GMT -5)

Demented ratling and Gaab'Baay are both satisfied now. My next question is, when exactly is Darknight? I've been waiting at the ancient stone circle for it to come... It's around day 85 now. What day is it?

Can a level 27 human wizard with almost all the spells, including acid ball, 298 hps, 302 pps, kill the chaos dragon? I have a wish to spare.

Hey wait, I tested with another char and it seems that Darknight is on day 180. Is this always the same? Heureka! It must be on day 90 too, then. Corruption doubling, logical.
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

562 days, 2 hours, 11 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 at 08:02 (GMT -5)

Darknight is the night of the New Moon. When you check the time, look for the moon phase ("Waning" or "Waxing") or at the week. It goes like this:

Darknight
Oneweek
Twoweek
Silvernight
Threeweek
Fourweek.

Then it repeats. That means Darknight is exactly once every 30 days - depending on when the game starts, it could be at any time.

Say Darknight is on day 11 - it will also be on day 41, 71, 101, 131, 161, etc.
Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/17/2005 at 08:05 (GMT -5) by Arancaytar]
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 at 08:05 (GMT -5)

Its once every month. The in-game manual will tell you when, too.
(checking)
Yeah it's the 1. in each month, so that means playing-day 31-61-91 etc. (Silvernight is 15.) Press ctrl-E and see what date you got now.
Be near the circle and press > repeatedly.

By all means, wait until you are gonna get the filk quest, or even after you get the TotRR. Absolutely no point doing it now, exp isn't that hot at level 27.

Edit: So someone beat me to the answer.
But the game always starts on the 1.(darknight) in the month of the Unicorn. So 31, 61 etc are always correct

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/17/2005 at 08:16 (GMT -5) by Molach]
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 at 17:17 (GMT -5)

what do you mean!? do it now! All you need is 5+ blessed quarrels/arrows of *dragon slaying*. I usually bring him down (scummed for results) in 2-5 hits. If you have defeated the ACW then he is no problem.

-Maelstrom
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: