Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Black Tome Surge of Power

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5883 days, 5 hours, 41 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 at 15:28 (GMT -5)

So, I was wandering into the puppy caves with my Dark Elven Necromancer, and I stumbled upon a Surge of Power. It was a black tome, guarded by Mondark the gibbering mouther. I checked in the guidebook, and I'm assuming this is the Black Tome of Alsophocus. My question is... what does it do? All it says in the guidebook is "CHAOS" under properties, so does it corrupt me, or what? I'm considering leaving it where I found it for now, in case it corrupts by carrying or something.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3575 days, 21 hours, 28 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 at 15:41 (GMT -5)

Congratulations, you have just gotten hold of the best artifact in the game... Just kidding, throw it away. It corrupts you by carrying it, plus if you read it you learn a random spell (or get more castings) and get corrupted. So, it is rubbish :P

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/13/2005 at 15:42 (GMT -5) by Echo]
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5883 days, 5 hours, 41 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 at 15:43 (GMT -5)

So basically it's like a wand/potion of wonder, in book form, that corrupts as well?

[EDIT] Good demented ratling fodder, I suppose...
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/13/2005 at 15:43 (GMT -5) by Kirbot]
BattleAxe
Registered user

Last page view:

6330 days, 22 hours, 40 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 at 16:35 (GMT -5)

Also its not a bad way to gain corruptions when you need them because you get a spell, at least better than the tracts of chaos.
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3575 days, 21 hours, 28 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 at 08:27 (GMT -5)

I might add, it's useful if you learn spells from it just before you get your corruption cleaned by the white unicorn.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5140 days, 3 hours, 23 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 at 09:56 (GMT -5)

I'd rather (u)se the mana orb if I have corruptions to "spare"

Book is totally useless, and yes, it corrupts by carrying.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3896 days, 19 hours, 45 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 at 10:30 (GMT -5)

it's not completely useless. as Echo said, it can be useful for getting corrupted, for example: if you find it on D:50 and are planning an ultra, you don't have to risk so much by getting attacked by corrupting monsters (or waste time waiting for background corruption to get you), and besides, you might get some useful spell from it. Second, it's an artifact and can be sacrificed. You can also use it to get some spells just before using the reward from the greater white unicorn
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4066 days, 22 hours, 11 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 at 18:59 (GMT -5)

A foul egg is also very useful if you *happen* to be near a politician you hate, which is a very special situation. Otherwise, it stinks, makes a mess by wielding and is utterly useless.

Mostly, I'd say, the black tome is like a foul egg. :P

You can find uses for anything in ADOM. The fact that the black tome is a weak artifact still stands out. Still, it is decent ratling fodder. Don't carry it, kick it around so you don't get that corruption.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3754 days, 6 hours, 13 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 at 21:25 (GMT -5)

Don't carry it around if you can help it; but if there's an altar or store within a couple of levels, I'd kick it there.
Die Gedanken sind Frei

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: