Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / money

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

melonhead
Registered user
The tasty

Last page view:

6637 days, 15 hours, 8 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 at 21:24 (GMT -5)

robes of resistence ....over 2.3 mil....i can only carry like 2 mil....how the hell can i overcome this...with out murder
To all things an end must come..yours will be swift im sure....
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 14 hours, 55 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 at 21:39 (GMT -5)

Girdle of greed (or whats it's name) will help you carry as much money as you'd like IIRC, or just a strength of Atlas spell or a girdle of carrying in a pinch...

If your only problem is carrying the money that is.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6598 days, 10 hours, 50 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 at 04:41 (GMT -5)

Girdle of greed (or whats it's name) halve money weight if uncursed and nullify it if blesses.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Cryshade
Registered user

Last page view:

6638 days, 3 hours, 31 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 23:11 (GMT -5)

Interestingly enough if you have the increased carrying capacity skills (porter, master packager, beast of burden) and a *blessed* girdle of greed then carrying around gold will actually increase the amount of other stuff you can carry. ie gold has nil weight and also you get +72% of the gold's weight to carry other items.
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6598 days, 10 hours, 50 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 08:21 (GMT -5)

Oooo.. Nice >:)
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6096 days, 43 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 15:51 (GMT -5)

do you need the porter/packager/burden talents? or do they just improve the final % you can carry>
*<< Words go here >>*
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4039 days, 20 hours, 47 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 17:08 (GMT -5)

I'm thinking you do, because they are what improves the bonus gained by the blessed girdle of greed - which is normally exactly the amount of weight of the gold, so it doesn't give additional benefits other than being able to carry truckloads of gold - to a bonus even higher, that can be used for other things than making up for the gold you carry.

This trick could potentially make your carrying capacity limitless. Imagine you are carrying around 1 billion of gold. These weigh 10 million stones. Your girdle of greed lets you wear those *and* additional 7.2 million stones.

Also, imagine *now* your blessed girdle of greed being destroyed by an annihilator.

Ouch. That's right.

That's the main flaw speaking against exploiting this trick. Strength of Atlas is guaranteed to *stay* active once casted.

(You know how ADOM 1.1.2 could get a lot nastier? Spellbreaking abilites for random monsters, like black wizards... "The black wizard mumbles cryptic words. Suddenly your extraordinate carrying capacity fails you! You are crushed by loads of baggage. The black wizards laughs with malicious glee. You die...")

(What is the message for being crushed anyway? This one of the stupid deaths that have not yet happened to me...)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/22/2006 at 17:10 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4210 days, 20 hours, 5 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 19:25 (GMT -5)

Silfir, RFE that! That's a really great idea! Perhaps other monsters like annis hags and magedoom eyes could have it. Maybe some of the big enemies like Fisty too - would be an awful way to die on D50! And the message you said was pretty accurate, something along the lines of "You are crushed by the weight of your baggage". I remember it used to be a huge nuisance in the wilderness in earlier versions - you only got one or two notices, and you weren't required to press space to acknowledge each one, so tap left three times and insta-death. It can still be dangerous in the current game if you have the "any key to continue" option enabled...
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Cryshade
Registered user

Last page view:

6638 days, 3 hours, 31 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 at 03:30 (GMT -5)

Yeah, that can occasionally happen if you go anywhere with mosters that can destroy equipment... Also if an annis hag (or similar) manages to curse the girdle it will lose its effects, so it's effectively a dispel magic...
Though, against anything other than going into melee with annihilators (I think these always choose worn items as opposed to carried items) you would probably have enough other stuff in your inventory (due to extrodiany carrying capacity) to make the chances of having the girdle destroyed extremely slim.
Just hope the RNG doesn't hate your guts.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4039 days, 20 hours, 47 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 at 10:25 (GMT -5)

Eyes of destruction are dangerous as well. Just ridiculously weak in the mid- and endgame.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3727 days, 4 hours, 49 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 at 21:10 (GMT -5)

And annoying your deity. Item cursing can be more than mere annoyance if you're carrying large amounts of gold....
Die Gedanken sind Frei
agrabah
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 at 10:37 (GMT -5)

Just experienced that actually. Lvl 21 elementalist crushed by 80000 gp. I was trying to convert an altar while wearing a blessed girdle of greed. I was carrying some 4000 stones only.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: