Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / How did I kill a goodwife?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7895 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 at 15:40 (GMT -5)

I'm playing a neutral trollish barbarian who just entered the HMV. While I was walking around I'd noticed my alignment had dropped from N+ to N-. Then a farmer attacked me. I didn't understand why either of these things had happened, so I checked my list of killed monsters. Apparently when I had entered the HMV I'd killed a goodwife. Why didn't I get the warning message "Really attack the goodwife? [y/n]"?

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7871 days, 1 hour, 1 minute and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 at 18:09 (GMT -5)

Where your tactics at berserk and did you not wear any armor? In that case, you lusted for blood and slayed the goodwife without being given the wanna kill <foo> question.

Another possibility could be that the goodwife was already hostile so you killed her which produced the alignment drop since goodwifes are lawful. I've seen both goodwifes and farmers hostile in HMV. Really odd that IMHO.

Locke Cole
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 at 20:34 (GMT -5)

I'm not a true berserker. So HMV farmers and goodwives can be hostile? Weird. I wonder if it has anything to do with my not being lawful? I know blink dogs, for example, are lawful and hostile toward non-lawfuls.

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 12 hours, 25 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 at 21:19 (GMT -5)

There are no guarantee that monsters in the HMV are peacefull, not even farmers, goodvives or ratling traders... I think the HMV generate about 50-50 hostile and newtral monsters (excluding the unique ones naturaly).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
The Mishka
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 at 21:31 (GMT -5)

For me farmers and goodwifes in the HMV are often hostile... and raitlin traiders???
Gyr
Registered user

Last page view:

8125 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 at 22:44 (GMT -5)

I believe that being trollishly beautiful has an effect as well (at least, it says in the manual that those with low appearance scores tend to attract unfavorable attention).

Actually, as a side note, anyone feel confident that they know what exactly the effects of the stealth skill are? A chance for monsters not to notice (become hostile) to you for a turn or so after you enter their Line of Sight? Keeps them from traversing the dungeon level in search of you? Makes it harder to spot you when invisible or in darkness?

[Edited at 22:44, Wednesday, December 12, 2001 by Gyr]
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 at 23:01 (GMT -5)

Trollishly beautiful? LOL. I like that. I'm not ugly, I'm trollishly beautiful.

I'm not sure about Stealth, but I think it increases the odds that a monster won't react to you. This is good if you're trying to backstab someone or get past a hostile monster without fighting it.

Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5802 days, 6 hours, 26 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2001 at 02:00 (GMT -5)

Stealth behaves like invisability (and can work on mobs with detect invis.)... until your discovered.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
HicPotboy
Registered user
Web-dude

Last page view:

7283 days, 15 hours, 46 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2001 at 11:40 (GMT -5)

I've had a few monsters not care about me for awhile when I've had a high Stealth score. I've found that more annoying than helpful, since I usually wait to attack a monster until it's attacked me. If it won't attack me, I don't attack it.

---
Hicpotboy
------
Hicpotboy
---------
Less twitch, more mental itch - saying by me.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: