Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / Fighting Fantasy!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6124 days, 8 hours, 58 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 at 15:23 (GMT -5)

Has anyone else played these games?
They are game-books, similar to pick-a-path books, but you create a character (skill, stamina and luck) and fight your way through to the conclusion of the book ('two dice, an pencil and an eraser is all you need...')- full of mosters and mystery, swords and magic, and good old school fun, I used to play these when i was around ten years old and have recently found a bunch of them at the library-

The classic ones are:

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, one of the best, feturing the Warlock ZAGOR! who comes back for around 4 more books

The Forest of Doom, with my first every reading of a Doppleganger

The Citidal of Chaos, the first in the series to introduce Magic

and Creature of Havoc, the first with a twist in the story
*<< Words go here >>*
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6626 days, 19 hours, 4 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 00:29 (GMT -5)

Hey I did years ago. IIRC I played the 'Creature of Havoc'. It's the one with the white bear+king kong like creature, one hand holding a green head, right? I also played one involving the player going thru a kind of dungeon for a 10000 gold pieces (!?) price. That book got a sequel as well. Ahh, bring back memories. ^^ Those was the time I was seeking inspriation for the story of a RL. The combat aspect of those books sux big time imo, but the flow is nice. Lots of dead ends. Could use it to kill one evening or two, drawing your path (1-7-215-.... etc) Heartly recommendation if you got lots of money to spend on ;)
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/19/2006 at 00:29 (GMT -5) by tongHoAnh]
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 16:47 (GMT -5)

10 000gold reward = Deathtrap Dungeon, they made that into a crappy playstation game, and the sequel was Trial of the Champions and another sequel was Armies of Death.
Heh, im a geekboy :p
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
pernicion
Registered user
High Pernicion

Last page view:

6222 days, 21 hours, 20 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 17:10 (GMT -5)

Ian Livingstone, one of the authors, recently did an interview about the gaming industry (mainly computer games now, I think) on Australia's Radio National recently...

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/lm/stories/s1520060.htm

Download the program/interview here...

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/lm/index/LMChronoIdx2005.htm

Scroll down to

Thursday 1 December 2005

Games Developer

Enjoy.
The kobold cringes in pain
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4506 days, 2 hours, 41 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 10:57 (GMT -5)

Lol I got some of those books from 20 years ago! I got The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Trial of the Champions, the Sorcery series from Steve Jackson and the FireWolf series. At that time, I considered the FireWolf series to be the best of the genre, with a REAL story behind the usual pick a path/fight stuff - even something worth making a real book/movie.
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 15:44 (GMT -5)

havent read the FireWolf series- who wrote them?
also they made a proper book series called the Zagor Chronicles (based on Return to firetop mountain) that was real good (although i erad them when i was abount 12, so....)
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4506 days, 2 hours, 41 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 18:03 (GMT -5)

J.H. Brennan in 1985 wrote the FireWolf series. Amazing story... an average barbarian learns that he's the son of a powerful sorceror lord and that he has to eradicate a whole horde of demons and much more. The series contains 4 books, and gets better with each book. Higly recommended, even for old kids :)
BTW, I have another one, awesome too, but it is in french... translation would be something like Nightmare Fortress. I wouldn't recommend this one to kids under 13, because it has really horrible monster illustrations and the dead ends are usually accompanied by a gruesome death. I gave it to my little brother when he was 10 and he made nightmares for a whole week.
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
Corremn
Registered user
Cursed by a Leprechaun

Last page view:

6510 days, 14 hours, 32 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 at 01:11 (GMT -5)

If anyone is interested I wrote a roguelike based on the warlock of firetop mountain. I am still developing it.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.announce/browse_frm/thread/6e61cd17b9ad0aae/

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: