Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / RFE "Spell-breaking"

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 5 hours, 37 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 at 19:58 (GMT -5)

During the discussion about girdles of greed in the "money" thread, I had the idea to post an RFE for the implementation of a "Spell-breaking" ability for monsters in ADOM. This would enable them to break temporary supporting spells like Farsight, Bless and (this one is what makes it interesting) Strength of Atlas.

I just figured it's kind of unfair that PCs using girdles always have to fear of getting instakilled by annihilators or the like destroying the girdle of carrying, greed or giant strength (Or girdles of carrying being cursed by green hags - you get the idea), while those using SoA are safe - The spell always lasts a certain duration, and you are warned when it ends.

Also, since ADOM is D&D-based, and there are spells like "Dispel Magic" in D&D, no one can say it wouldn't fit in.

I must admit I mainly like the idea because I think PCs aren't *supposed* to carry truckloads of potions, scrolls, spellbooks and whatever with them all the time, without taking at least some kind of risk doing so.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

Would you support an RFE "Adding spell-breaking abilities" for ADOM 1.1.2?
Yes  No
Check results

BcotN
Registered user
SoaD junkie

Last page view:

6507 days, 20 hours, 18 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 at 13:31 (GMT -5)

it would be pretty interresting. But only SoA is critical to lose. Bless you could live without, same with farsight. so, it's a lot to code JUST for the risk when using SoA
You die...
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6124 days, 9 hours, 33 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 at 22:11 (GMT -5)

But also spellbreaking could cancel out your improved fire ball (target monster takes no damage) or deathray (target laughs at your puny magic) and so on
(a % chance of creature cancelling spell dependent of level of creature)
*<< Words go here >>*

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/27/2006 at 22:12 (GMT -5) by *Chaos Muffin*]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 at 05:40 (GMT -5)

I dunno. Would it really be *that* much to code? It'd be an attack just like the curse of the green hag or the song of the harpy, or any stat-draining attack you can think of, or slowing... Only that it'd make you lose a time-restricted intrinsic, or something like that. Is Strength of Atlas listed in Revelation?

Note that this would also be true for Invisibility. If you cast it on yourself and attack one of the temples, a monster in there could make you visible... So it's not only SoA ;)
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3898 days, 3 hours, 11 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 at 05:40 (GMT -5)

"a % chance of creature cancelling spell dependent of level of creature"

that would make the überjackal (and other ûbercreature) problem, and other high level creatures even more serious for wizards.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 at 05:53 (GMT -5)

Also, Improved Fireball happens in one action. Adding the probability of the monster casting the counterspell *would* be rather difficult to code.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3898 days, 3 hours, 11 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 at 09:28 (GMT -5)

Maybe there could be a chance that certain spells (bolts) get reflected when they hit a target
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 4 hours, 55 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 at 12:08 (GMT -5)

There's already a chance that bolts get shrugged off, and there's already a chance that monsters will resist spells like petrification and death ray (with some monsters being completely immune). Giving a wide range of spell resistance would be bad, I think, as it would too seriously reduce the power of spellcasters. I think there does need to be a way of making SoA more dangerous than it currently is - as Silfir says, too many people rely on it far too much. And cancelling temporary invisibility would be a nice power too. I doubt it would be overly difficult to code - probably much easier to code than the cursing ability of hags (but Thomas knows better of course).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6124 days, 9 hours, 33 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 at 05:19 (GMT -5)

Yeah, i just think that npc wizards/sages/hags etc are very weak in the game, maybe if they had a wider range of spells to hurl at you? all they seem to do is a bolt of energy, occasional cursing, and summoning...
*<< Words go here >>*

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: