Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Stories / ADOM Role-Play 2

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 4 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4
duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 at 17:12 (GMT -5)

Konan's sickly face showed the battle he was fighting within himself with the disease. He shivered and shuddered, moaning in pain. Meridon stood over him, both his hands on his chest, chanting constantly, trying with all his might to keep him alive. Iridia ran up and crouched near him. A glance at the elf confirmed that he hadn't been dreaming back by the river, but she didn't care about that right now. She turned to Fire. "Find an herb. Or something. Do something, he's dying!"

Fire nodded and hurried off. Meridon said "More. I need another potion," and the elf handed him a vial of liquid. He quaffed it in one gulp, then returned to konan. A few more minutes passed as Konan writhed in agony, the only sound being Meridon's chant.

The tension was almost physical. Konan was fluctuation: one moment, he would calm down and appear to get better, the next the screams would be back tenfold. he roared battle cries, called out warnings, relived his past in his delirium. Iridia looked about uneasily at the marsh, fearing what might hear them, and fearing for Konan's life.

Finally, Fire returned. he handed Iridia an herb. "Here. Feed him this. I need to mix a potion." He withdrew another herb and an empty vial, which he filled with the dank pater that stood in pools about them. he dropped the herb in and plugged the bottle, then began shaking it.

Iridia did as she was told. Carefully, she held Konan's head still. A violent shudder passed through him, and he jerked his head away, staring at Iridia in terror, not seeing the dwarf, but some long-dead foe.

She paused. "I'm sorry," she said, then slammed her fist into his jaw. he growled, and turned back, anger in his eyes -- but then he caught hers. Lucidity filled him for a moment, and he understood, and opened his mouth. Iridia put the herb in his mouth, and he began to chew weakly at it.

He hadn't even finished it before the fever took hold again. He continuted to chew, but still he shouted curses at imagined monsters. It seemed to take forever before he had swallowed the whole thing.

Meridon took his hands off. "I can't do any more. Not with magic, anyway." iridia looked at him. Indeed, he looked exhausted. His face was pale, and his eyes were sunken. He straghtened, staggered, then knelt again and attempted to apply more conventional healing methods to Konan's leg.

"Here." Fire handed Iridia the still-warm potion. "Give it to him." She took it, and poured a thin stream into Konan's mouth. He lapped at it, and weakly tried to grab the bottle. Iridia pressed his hand away, and continued to give him the potion. The writhing had subsided, and when the potion was gone, Konan almost appeared normal. He looked around himself at his gathered friends, even the elf he didn't know, and said, "Thank you." With that, he fell into a deep slumber.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/30/2003 at 18:24 (GMT -5) by Duke Ravage]
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

3727 days, 18 hours, 19 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 at 06:33 (GMT -5)

When they had assured themselves that Konan was finally out of danger, Iridia finally had a chance to wonder who, exactly, this stranger was.

Although, like most dwarves, Iridia had an innate suspicion of elves, her dealings with Meridon had nearly erased any prejudices she might have had against elves. Consequently, Iridia's pointed look in the elf's direction contained mostly curiosity.

"Who are you?" she asked, then added, "Why are you helping us?"

The elf--she was young, Iridia saw, though for an elf that might mean she was older than Iridia's father, wherever he was--finished rearranging the tangled blanket that covered Konan and looked up to see several faces looking back at her, all in various degrees of the same curious expression the dwarf wore.

"I am Runeva..." she said. Her voice trailed off. She wasn't quite sure how to explain herself, but she took a deep breath and began to speak anyway.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/6/2003 at 06:35 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 at 12:48 (GMT -5)

"I've been following you for some time... A few of you have seen me already, but I've mostly just followed. I mean you no harm," she hurridly added as she noticed Iridia get suspicious. "I have helped you a few times, actually. Twice now I've saved Konan from death. And I've stood guard as you slept." She looked around. "Here is neither the time nor place for me to explain futher. You'll just have to trust me."

"I trust you," said Meridon. "I saw what you did twice. You certainly are fearsome with that bow, but if you meant us ill you have had several oprotunities to kill us as we slept."

"Thank you, Meridon." She nodded towards the half-elf. Iridia saw something pass between them, but she didn't see what. Some elven thing, no doubt.

Fire stood. "Well, now that that is done and Konan is out of danger, I'm eager to meet this Minstral of yours, Meridon."

Vexander stood as well. "And I to find my brother. I'll watch Konan until he awakes."

"Today is a bad day to travel, my friends," said Runeva. "It is Darknight. I suggest you wait the night here." The others considered this, then agreed.

Once a fire was built, Meridon and Vexander fell into a conversation about magical things. They pulled out three spellbooks and began studying them and talking about things the rest -- excluding Runeva, who had left to patrol the area -- did not understand. This left Iridia and Fire to watch over Konan.
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 at 19:48 (GMT -5)

Fire discovered he'd been holding his breath. He let it out, and sat down tiredly, glad for the chance to rest. Pulling off his pack, he threw it to the ground, its contents clattering noisily.

"That was getting heavy," Fire remarked.

"What have you got in there--rocks?" Iridia asked. Of course, she had rocks in her own pack, but that was mithril ore, and quite a different thing.

"Let me see-- Oh, yes, the weapons we got from the lizardmen! I completely forgot about them."

Quite understandable, thought Iridia; she had forgotten about them herself. "Well, take them out, and let me have a look."

Fire obliged, bringing out a huge jumble of metal, wood, and who knew what else. It would take some time to go through it.

First was a set of six rusty throwing knives, which Iridia immediately discarded; a broken spear, which went the same route, and a flimsy dagger with a thin blade, which Iridia was about to throw away until a closer look made her try the weapon out.

Iridia threw the dagger at a nearby tree. It thunked solidly into the wood, then suddenly pulled itself free and rebounded, hilt-first, back to Iridia. She was surprised, but managed to catch the dagger anyway.

"It's enchanted to return," she explained to Fire. "It's nothing special, but it'll do." Irida set the dagger aside.

There was torn clothing, which they threw aside immediately, and armor, most of it substandard, which they examined more closely. Fire found a pair of gauntlets, made of red leather, which fit him nicely. There were two bundles of arrows, which they also set aside--Runeva would know if she could use them. A small satchel contained a dozen scrolls; Iridia only glanced at them before taking them to the small spellcasters' convention, which was still in full-swing. Vexander was apparently winning an argument about the best method for casting light spells, none of which Iridia could even remotely comprehend.

Metals, now--those Iridia knew backwards and forwards, having spent all her life working with them; and that expertise allowed her to identify the three exceptional weapons in the whole lot.

The first was a battle-axe, crude but quite sturdy, with a good edge and a mithril blade. This Iridia decided to keep for herself, since she had heard tales of more than one warrior who had been defeated, or won only narrowly, after a weapon broke.

The second was a spear. On first glance, it seemed to be nothing special, but the metal was exceptionally light and strong. Though Iridia couldn't identify it completely, she was quite sure its head was made of some higher metal; and Fire, when he held it, claimed to feel a sort of magical force in the spear. "Magic in weapons isn't all that different from feeling it in herbs and things," commented Fire. "And, anyway, you'd have felt it too, if you used the spear."

But it was the third weapon that really caught Iridia's eye. It was a sword, intended to be wielded with both hands--a heavy weapon with a beautiful silvery blade, perfectly balanced, inscribed with runes which Fire said, when he held the weapon, were powerful indeed. Konan, who needed a weapon and preferred two-handed swords, was the obvious recipient of this weapon. He would need it if, as they had guessed, he had indeed been put under some sort of a curse by the karmic lizard he'd fought.

The rest of the lizardmen's "treasure" was junk, and they left it there in a heap. Fire took some time to gather herbs to replenish his potion supply; Meridon and Vexander were still arguing at dusk when Iridia, who was understandably tired, decided to turn in.

Fire stood watch, looking out onto the swamp as the night mists descended and blocked any view of the stars. The only light came from the embers of the fire, and from a wand which Meridon held as he and Vexander pored over one of the spellbooks. Runeva still wasn't back.

Darknight indeed, thought Fire to himself, as the last traces of the sun disappeared and left them in the midst of the mist and darkness. Darknight, and they were in the middle of a swamp, too. This time, Fire promised himself, he'd be sure to wake his companions if he saw anything odd.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/13/2003 at 13:44 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5634 days, 21 hours, 39 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 at 02:16 (GMT -5)

His watch passed uneventfully. Around midnight, he woke Iridia. "Your turn," he said.

She rubbed sleep from her eyes. "Why don't you make that elf stand watch?"

Fire shrugged. "I don't know where she is," he said. "She hasn't come back yet. She's probably out there patrolling or something, but I'd still feel more comfortable with someone I knew better watching."

Iridia sighed. "Ok, get some sleep." She moved to the edge of the firelight and waited for her eyes to adjust to the darkness.

An hour passed. She stood, getting a feel for her new axe, and watched for anything amiss.

Half an hour later, she saw the light. At first she thought it was just her imagination, but then she saw it again. There, just a short distance outside the edge of the firelight. She couldn't tell what it was, but the light piqued her curiosity. She cautiously approached it, but as she approached it moved away. Or seemed to. Maybe it had been further out to begin with. She didn't care.

She kept following the light into the misty darkness of the swamp. She noticed that she was starting to sink, but she didn't really care. All she knew was that she wanted to see what that light was. It was right in front of her, she could catch it before she sank too much more...

Then she stumbled over something. She looked down at the annoying object--

And froze.

There was the elf, staring up at the sky. The light was forgotten as she knelt by the elf. She was still warm... in fact, she was still alive. She didn't respond when Iridia shook her, however. Paralyzed, Iridia realized. There was something out here.

She considered for a moment. Any dwarf who hadn't been through what she had with Meridon would have left the elf where she lay, thinking that she had gotten what she had coming. But Iridia knew that elves, despite their occasional mischeviousness, were good people. She grabbed the elf and began to haul her back to the camp.

It took her some time to drag the larger elf, but muscles trained by mining made it less difficult than some would have found it. When she reached the camp she was about to call out to Meridon for help when a hiss made her freeze.

She dropped the elf and grabbed her axe, then quietly approached the camp. The sight she saw made her blood run cold. A lizardman moved through the camp, touching each of the sleeping adventurers in turn.

The frightening part was that the lizardman was dead.

Raw, open wounds covered it's body, and it's skin and flesh were grey. It's eyes were dull and lifeless, yet somehow gave the impression of deep hatred and loathing. It moved strangely, and seemed to ignore the fact that one arm hung by only a few strands of muscle and the bone. There was violence in it's movement as well, as though it wanted more than anything to tear the life out of the living beings around it, but something was holding it back, making it paralyze each of them before killing them.

The dead thing reached Meridon. Another hiss escaped it as it looked on the sleeping half-elf. It reached down, seemed to caress him almost, and Iridia saw Meridon's body stiffen in paralysis. It hissed again, then lifted a hand to deliver the death blow.

Iridia's shock at seeing the walking dead was dispelled as she saw her friend in mortal danger. With a shout, she charged into the firelight, catching the undead monster by suprise. Her new axe struck it's chest as she attacked at a run, nearly cleaving the beast's body in two. It hissed in anger at being interupted and, ignoring the axe protruding from it's chest, took a swipe at the dwarf holding onto the other end with one hand. She ducked the dangerous blow and wrenched her axe free. A second blow tore a leg off the wretch, causing it to topple sideways.

Yet still it fought. One hand latched onto Iridia's leg, and she fought revusion at the icy touch. Her axe seperated the arm from the body, but it still clung to her. She kicked the arm off. The other hand grabbed her, and suddenly she felt a chill pass through her. Weariness came down on her like a cloak. Her axe suddenly felt too heavy for her to lift, and it dropped to the ground.

She kicked the hand off her leg weakly. This would be difficult, especially with the creature draining her of stamina. Suddenly a thought dawned on her. She grabbed a burning stick from the fire and tossed it onto the dead lizardman, and prayed the undead burned.

Fortuantely for her, they do.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7272 days, 14 hours, 35 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 at 03:16 (GMT -5)

The burning stick flew through the cold night air and struck the side of the undead lizardman, glancing off and falling into the swamp, letting off a hiss of steam. The ghul's hand clawed back onto Iridia's leg, and she felt the the life and energy drawing out of her.

Iridia was impossibly weak, tired, lethargic. It was to difficult to move, to think. Yet a corner of her mind was still free, fighting back, and this corner saw a flicker of red.

The ghul put its hand to its side and drew a spectral blade, a ghostlike, half-transparent dagger. However, Iridia was almost completely paralysed, but realised that while the torch had glanced off, it had sparked, and these sparks had fallen on the side of the undead and were starting to burn.

The ghul seemed to be moving slower, and it began to draw back the spectral blade, but the sparks had grown into a fire that was consuming most of the ghul. And still it raised the dagger, indifferent to the fire consuming its body.

The flames were creeping onto its upper chest, and as they reached a single, slight carck in the scales, the seemed to destroy whatever spell bound the undead creature together, and the half-raised arm lost power and fell. The ghul no longer had its awful will behind, and the arm erred, and Iridia was beginning to shake off the shackles of paralysis and tried to move away, but the dagger intended for her heart plunged into her shoulder and with the ghul's death, vaporised.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/19/2003 at 01:54 (GMT -5) by Andor Drakon]
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 at 00:28 (GMT -5)

The ghul, finally destroyed, collapsed into a heap of dust. In the heavy night air of the swamp, no breeze touched the remains; the silence was oppressive.

Iridia's shoulder had begun to bleed as soon as the dagger disappeared. Clumsily, she managed to clamp her other hand over the wound. She tried to get up; her legs wouldn't work and her entire body still felt deathly cold.

At first, the dazed dwarf didn't notice the twelve silent shapes materializing out of the swamp; then, she did. Silent, deadly, with the same fire of hate burning in their dead eyes, they glided out to attack the still-helpless group.

Iridia renewed her efforts to get up. Nothing worked; when she tried to curse, to pray, to shout for the others to wake up... nothing happened. She kept trying. It couldn't end like this, just wouldn't--

And suddenly there was a black-robed figure standing in their midst. The figure began chanting-- Vexander! Iridia thought. Was he behind the attack? If she could just make her clumsy limbs obey her, she would take her axe to him--

And suddenly, a lightning bolt ripped into the nearest ghul. Its chest exploded, sending its head and arms catapulting off into the blackness. Just as quickly, the necromancer launched a frost bolt in the opposite direction, hitting another ghul, blasting straight through it and into the one behind it.

Iridia watched in complete astonishment as spells, cast in rapid succession, flew through the air at the ghuls. Six were down, then eight; Vexander showed no sign of tiring. His black-robed figure, outlined by the red light of the fire and the blue light of the flashes of magical lightning, seemed to be an embodiment of some sort of ancient power....

Finally, Iridia willed her hands to move, and they surprised her by responding. Still feeling horribly cold, she managed to stumble to her feet, disregarding the wound in her shoulder and once again wielding her axe, as well as another burning stick from the fire.

The last four ghuls had gotten dangerously close to them. Vexander was still chanting steadily, but they were too close--

Iridia wasted no time in dodging under a dead lizardman's grasping fingers and jamming the makeshift torch into its desiccated belly. Whirling around, she put her axe through the neck of another. Its headless body fumbled around, trying to touch her, until she grabbed a large coal and threw it at the ghul, where it ignited the ghul's ragged clothing, and then the ghul itself.

Vexander was apparently in hand-to-hand combat with the last of the ghuls. The necromancer's lips were still moving steadily, his expression calm. Irida recognized the words--Meridon's healing spell? Vexander wasn't on their side after all!...

But as the necromancer released the spell's power into the ghul, it moaned in agony, then suddenly stiffened and crumpled into dust. Vexander stepped back, on the alert for more ghuls.

"Runeva!" Iridia cried, and ran to the outside of the camp. But, thankfully, the elf, though still paralyzed, was unhurt. Iridia dragged her back into the camp.

"Are you all right?" Vexander inquired.

"Yes." Iridia checked her shoulder; the wound wasn't serious. She tore a strip from the edge of her sleeve and held it over the wound. "But the rest--"

"I've checked; they're just paralyzed. They'll be all right." Vexander paused.

"What?" Iridia said.

"That first ghul," said Vexander. "Very powerful... much more so than most. Even I--and I am more used to the undead than most--had much trouble resisting its powers."

"And the other ones?"

Runeva was moaning now, trying to move. Iridia reassured her.

"The others," Vexander said, "had no special powers, at least for ghuls. Quite possibly commanded by the first one, though I don't know why they didn't all attack at once..."

"They wanted to capture us," said Meridon tiredly. He had also shaken off the paralysis and had dragged himself to a sitting position, shivering next to the fire.

Vexander nodded thoughtfully. "If that were so..." he paused, thinking. "The others could have been asked to wait in the swamps to carry us off... but when the first one was killed--"

"Yes, I see," said Meridon. "The others weren't under its power any longer, so they just returned to their instinctive desire to attack and kill us."

"Exactly," said Vexander. "But who would have wanted us captured?"

Meridon sighed. "Turns out I'm quite a dangerous travelling companion," he admitted. "I can only think of one person who'd want me captured, and he's quite capable of this."

He didn't have to mention Javas's name, of course.

Fire shook off his own paralysis not long after that. They spent the rest of the night huddled around the fire, with two of them on watch at all times, facing opposite directions. Needless to say, no one, except for Konan (who had managed to sleep through the entire attack), got any sleep that night.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 6/16/2003 at 00:34 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 at 23:25 (GMT -5)

Dawn somehow managed to finger it's rays through the swamp mist to reach the camp. Konan awoke with the rest, and they were all glad to see him hale and healthy again. However, they also discovered that Runeva had managed to slip away yet again during the night. "Let her go," said Meridon. "I think she prefers to go her own way. I'm confidant she'll show up to help if you need it."

So, the five remaining companions said their goodbyes again, and Iridia, Meridon, and Fire turned north again, while Vexander and Konan began travelling south, through the swamps.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 at 00:43 (GMT -5)

Vexander and Konan were near the end of the swamps, and were walking through a particularly muddy and dirty part, their boots squelching in the mud. Vexander felt throroughly unpleasant and even Konan was starting to feel a bit uneasy. They were both coated, head-to-foot, in slowly drying mud, and every few minutes one of them would slip and splash it back over both of them.

The mists were becoming very annoying too, as neither Vexander nor Konan could tell if they were going in the right direction, if they were wandering round in circles, or if they were walking into an ambush. They kept on hearing scratching noises, and seeing strange lights in the mist. Konan dismissed these as simply Will o' the Wisps. Vexander felt more wary, and tried shooting a frost bolt into the mist, but it had no effect.

Half an hour later, Vexander wished nothing more than to escape from the swamp when Konan froze.

"Listen!"

Sure enough, Vexander heard some kind of noises, almost like many small creatures scuffling.

"I can hear it... what do you think it is?"

Konan listened intently for a few seconds, and the sounds grew, as if they were coming closer.

"I don't really know..."

Suddenly there was a high-pitched squeak only about a foot away, and the mist closed in on them, until they could bearly see their hand in front of their faces.

Then the mist receeded suddenly, revealing blobs of it left behind. Vapor Rats.

The first squeaker, who seemed to be the leader, an exceptionally large vapor rat, stood at the back, and squeaked again. The rest of the rats immediately rushed forward at Vexander and Konan.

Konan swung his sword in wide arcs, the minute it touched a vapor rat it seemed to pulse and the rat died. It never seemed to miss, and the rats were never getting close enough to lay so much as a claw on him, despite the fact that he left himself open with every great sweep.

Vexander was finding it much more difficult, his skull staff thudding into the ranks of the rodents to little avail, a few rats falling here and there, but only a small percentage of the horde. He was casting Frost Bolt at every oppotunity, but it was hard to say spells an fight at the same time. Vexander was forced to dodge aside as four large rats leaped at the spot he had been, when he suddenly saw the leader on hir far right. It seemed to be even bigger, and it looked as if it was trying to stand up. Vexander ignored it and stabbed viciously at an attacker with his skull dagger and smashed his skull staff down on another.

A lucky rat managed to evade Konan's silvery sword and bit his leg. He felt as if he had been contaminated, and the rat's chaos venom spread through his whole body. He felt corrupted. He felt evil. He realised that these were not simply strange creatures, but were instead products of Chaos and its evil influence on the world, and lived to spread Chaos to innocents. He disemboweled the rat with a kick and killed many more with a sweep of his magical sword, knowing that if the rats won, he would become a Chaos being.

Vexander was engaged in a losing battle to stave off the onslaught. He was backed against a tree, using his staff one-handed like a sword, stabbing wildly about with his dagger. He was tiring, his power having completely drained, his staff seeming ever harder to lift. The rats were starting to get through his defenses. One jumped through the air and was almost at his throat when he mechanically cut it away. He took a breath to glance around and saw no sign of the cheif rat, but instead a man with a long, furry nose and light hair down his arms, shrouded in mist. A were-rat! However, it was a breath too many. He had left himself open, and the rats rushed forward.

Konan expected the ranks of rats to be thinning, however the opposite was true. The were-rat suddenly waved his hands and more sprung out of thin air.

"Vexander!" he shouted, "Go for the summoner!" He recieved no awnser. "Vexander?" He turned and saw him being swarmed down by the rats. "VEXANDER!" he shouted again, trampling down vapor rats and his silver sword swinging through the mist to cut away at the crawling rodents.

Suddenly the maelstrom of teeth and claws stopped as it was swept off by a silver beam. Vexander used his staff to push himself to his feet when he saw the were-rat was finally starting to tire itself out from constant summoning. He saw his chance, and threw his skull dagger, sinking it into the were-rat's chest.

As one, the remainder of the rats turned and ran back into the whiteness of the concealing mists.

However, they had inflicted sore wounds on the two adventurers. Vexander had been bitten in a hundered different places and Konan was very tired.

Meanwhile, Meridon, Fire, and Iridia were...

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/21/2003 at 04:08 (GMT -5) by Andor Drakon]
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 at 04:56 (GMT -5)

...making good time retracing their steps towards the Minstrel's hut. They had exited the swamps that morning, and now the narrow band of forest was giving way to plains.

Meridon was the first to notice the slight shift in the way the air felt around them, though it wasn't long before Fire and Iridia also felt something not quite right--the aura of an impending thunderstorm, though there wasn't a single cloud in the sky.

Then they saw it. For a moment, it looked like a smudge, or a cloud of dust; then, as it approached them, it became more defined. It looked like a dust devil--a thin streak of rotating air carrying dust and dirt. It came a little closer, and now they could see it wasn't quite so thin as they had thought it was.

Meridon, realizing their danger, quickly pulled Fire and Iridia down into the tall grass. "Let's hope it hasn't seen us," he whispered.

"What?" said Iridia, more than a little confused.

"It's an elemental," Meridon replied, eyes fixed on the funnel of air. It didn't seem to be advancing any more, though somehow that didn't make Meridon feel any better.

A second later, they knew why. The elemental had obviously seen them, because now they were being pelted with small rocks which hurtled out of the funnel with the speed of well-hurled slingstones. Iridia got her shield up just in time to deflect a large chunk of rock which would otherwise have smashed into her face.

The elemental was heading towards them again. It was no longer hurling rocks, which was a relief; but the were far from relieved--the elemental was moving at least twice as fast as even Meridon could run. They couldn't hope to escape through sheer speed.

And how, thought Iridia, am I going to fight something made of nothing but air?

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/25/2003 at 08:13 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 at 00:33 (GMT -5)

Meridon stood and began running sideways, doing his best to dodge the rocks and run while he concentrated on a spell. Recalling the lightning bolt was becoming more difficult, and he knew he would soon need to examine a spellbook again soon. Finally he got it, and hurled a blast of lightning at the elemental, hoping it did something. He was rather unfamiliar with elementals, despite his druid training.

It did something, alright. It struck the elemental, which shot it right back at him.

The blast caught him unprepared, and lay him out flat. He was still twitching when his vision cleared, and was forced to crawl when his legs refused to respond properly.

He looked up. The elemental had taken notice of his magic (which seemed to have no other effect) and was closing with him very quickly.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 at 22:53 (GMT -5)

Fire saw his chance, and took it. One hand held his shield in front of him, and the other hand grabbed for potions from his supply. Holy water? No. Blindness potion? He didn't even know if the whirlwind-thing had eyes, much less if it could see... Finally he settled on an exploding potion.

The whirlwind's attention seemed to be entirely on Meridon (who still hadn't managed to stand, but had at least managed to get his shield up); Fire had little trouble targeting the creature.

The potion flew through the air and into the whirlwind, where it was almost immediately hit by a chunk of debris. The bottle shattered, and the mixture within exploded, the sound of the explosion almost lost in the shriek of wind within the elemental. The impact of the explosion, however, wasn't lost; almost immediately, Fire could see the funnel of air lose some of its integrity, and begin to disintegrate. Some large chunks of rock which had been caught up into the elemental dropped to the ground; the raging winds which had once supported them were evidently no longer strong enough to do so now.

Only a split second later, the funnel of air regained its stability, the marks of the explosion gone. Or... were they? Was it Fire's imagination, or was the elemental smaller now?...

The alchemist had very little time to ponder the matter, since that funnel of air--weaker, perhaps, but still quite intimidating--was now headed straight for him.

This, thought Fire, is going to hurt.

But then there was a short-legged warrior running towards him, and someone pushed him to his knees, raised a shield, and deflected the first of several large chunks of rock the elemental hurled toward Fire. Iridia, who had realized her axe would probably do little good in this situation, had decided to put her shield to good use instead.

Fire threw another exploding potion; the whirlwind did a repeat performance, pulling itself together a little more slowly this time. But Fire's potion supply wasn't limitless, and if he didn't think of something, he'd run out and the elemental would have him. Perhaps... if he made the potion stronger somehow? An idea that just might work...

The elemental was coming closer; Iridia's shield seemed smaller with each passing second, though it still protected the dwarf's head and chest. Two rocks smashed into Iridia's unprotected legs; she took the blows without comment, somehow managing not to stumble.

Fire withdrew another exploding potion from the bag, then grabbed up the container of oil he used for removing rust from weapons. He opened the exploding potion and carefully poured the oil on top of the mixture, and felt the beginnings of an explosion begin to rumble up from the mixture--much like the way a failed experiment felt, but somehow... more controlled?

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/14/2003 at 23:00 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 at 00:46 (GMT -5)

He held it for only a fraction of a second, suddenly afraid. What if the explosion was too big? What if he hurt Iridia, Meridon or himself? He shook his head. The mixture was made, and his choice was either to throw it and hope it didn't blow himself and his friends away, or watch it blow up in his face. He opted to throw it.

The blast was much larger than his normal potions. He was thrown backwards by the shockwave, and blinded for a few moments by the flash. When he recovered his senses, the smoke still hadn't cleared. Slowly a grin began to spread accross his face. Nothing could have survived that!

The grin was wiped off his face quickly, however. The smoke wasn't clearing properly. It was spiralling back inward. The damn elemental wasn't done yet.

But, it was much smaller. It was down to a quarter of the size it was at first, but it's size seemed magified by the smoke it had collected. It whirled about the still-burning area, seemingly confused, but Fire knew that wouldn't last for long. It didn't look like the kind of thing that had much of a brain to confuse.

Suddenly a blue bolt leaped out of the bushes. The elemental shuddered and dropped some rocks, but didn't fade completely. Another icy beam flew towards it, but it seemed to pass right through. Finally, a third struck it square, and with a howling shriek it vanished altogether. The rocks fell to the ground, and the smoke dissapated.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 at 00:10 (GMT -5)

After a few hours of sleep and a small meal of Vexander and Konan's diminishing supply of rations, they set out to Terinyo, hoping they would not encounter any attackers on the way. Vexander searched the ruins but failed to find his brother's copse. He might've survived, Vexander told himself, with a small gem of hope welling inside him. He must've survived!

They then were faced with a different challenge. Neither Vexander nor Konan wanted to return through the mists, but the alternative was to swim the Great River. In the end they flipped a coin. Heads for the river, tails for the swamp. It came up heads.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2003 at 23:24 (GMT -5)

When Fire and Iridia had both assured themselves that they were both still in possession of all four limbs and could stand on them reasonably well, they made their way to the bushes where they assumed Meridon must have been hiding.

There, in the bushes, was the limp figure of the half-elf. They ran to him and dropped to their knees, trying to wake him. Iridia had time to feel a stab of fear before Meridon stirred, dragged his face out of the dirt, and muttered something that they couldn't distinguish.

Iridia bent over Meridon in concern, but Fire sat back on his heels. "He's fine," said Fire, relieved. "Just exhausted. Too many spells."

"Yes... Rest for a while..." said Meridon softly, and then laid his head back down in the long grass, and in two minutes had fallen deeply asleep. He stayed that way for two full hours, while his companions moved off a little way to talk, Fire bragging about his new potion, Iridia complaining about the pair of large, purple bruises that was now evident on her lower legs (Fire told her he was running low on pepper petal and would have to pick more before he used any on minor injuries).

Presently, Meridon woke himself and got them moving again; and that night, they camped on the plains, only two hours' walk, as Iridia told them, from the Minstrel's hut. They would reach it in the morning.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 25, 2003 at 02:35 (GMT -5)

Vexander could only think of one way to cross the river without drowning, and it would be so draining for him that he would likely collapse on the other shore. But speed was essential. By his judgement and a rudimentary map Meridon had given him, Iridia, Fire, and Meridon (and possible Runeva) would be about a day away from the Mad Minstrel's location. It, in contrast, would take at least three to catch up with them by going through the swamp. Running along the plains and crossing the river would be much easier. And that was what they were doing.

When they finally reached the Great River, Vexander took a deep drink of the cool water. The run along the plain had tired him. Then he rose, wiped his mouth, and muttered an string of arcane syllables, his hands pointing at the water directly in front of him. A bolt of ice shot from them and plunged into the water. THe water grew very cold. A second bolt and it froze into a block of ice about a meter square. Vexander stepped onto it and once again cast his spell.

THe day was hot, and after two hours they were only half way across. Vexander was tired to the bone. It was taking more effort every time to freeze the next patch of water. What was more, the sun was nearing it's zenith, and the ice behind them had long melted away. Vexander and Konan were standing on an island of ice, and iceberg in fact, in the middle of the river. It was to go on or to be stuck there.

After thirty minutes more, Vexander, his eyes almost closed, put his hand to his chest and slumped over. "I can't go on... I need to rest" he panted. They were about three-quarters of the way across. Konan looked at the river, judging the distance. It might be possible. He said to Vexander "CLimb onto my back. I'll swim across." Vexander exhaustedly clung to Konan's backpack as the barbarian stepped into the water, his powerful legs propelling them forwards. It was still a very long way, the shore seemed no closer than it had before after what seemed like ages of swimming though was really no more than a few minutes. And then a sharp, gray, triangular fin slowly ememrged from the water behind him. Konan continued swimming, trying to go faster and faster, but he was weighed down by Vexander's weight. As the shark slowly gained, Vexander managed to raise his head, saw the shark, and gathered his strenght to fight back.

His dagger hurled straight to hit the shark on the top of its body. It snapped away, spinning round. What had stung it? Some small fish? A younger shark, contesting his superiority? It saw a little glint of something, near the pain. It shook istelf around, trying to get it out. Meanwhil Konan had reached the shallows and could wade again. As he pushed through the water, his foot pressed down where a rocky, sandy riverbed should be, it instead found nothing. He tumbled over, duming himself and Vexander underwater. Finally his foot met some kind of stone steps. An underwater stairway? After some swimming he managed to surface again. No time for it now. Maybe they should investigate it later. He and Vexander stumble out of the river and slowly set off along the plains, Vexander throwing one last hateful glance at it.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/25/2003 at 02:36 (GMT -5) by Andor Drakon]
Go to page 1 2 3 4

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?