Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Announcements / Slow site

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 days, 1 hour, 51 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 09:38 (GMT -5)

You may have noticed the site beeing very slow lately. Acording to my host this is related to the size of the old MS Access database files that I still use. Not quite sure what to do about that. I have 100Mb of MySQL database space, but that's barely enough to fit what I currently have in the Access files, and the MySQL database can not be upgraded, so I would soon run out of space.

They have a MS SQL database option that can be upgraded, unfortunately I would have to upgrade my whole acount to the "developer" package wich is another 10$ on top of my current hosting bill, and the default MS SQL database is only 50Mb so add another 4.95$ on top of that again to add 100Mb to the database. It's an option I guess, I should also consider trying to find a host with better database storage deals (I have web-space and bandwidth coming out my wazoo, but database storage seems to be the milking cow of my host).

I have tried optimising the forum database, the process shaved about 20Mb off it (Access is aparently kinda ineffective at storing stuff) but it does not seem to have helped too much...

The HoF part I should be eable to cut down considerably by simply pulling all the FLG's out of the database and store them in text files like I used to in the old days before I figured it would be a jolly good idea to store it all in the database. Not sure how to cut down on the Forum database without deleting stuff though, the only thing I can think of would be to remove the avatar images from the database, but I tried that offline and it only saved like 0.5Mb so that would do little good. Maybe I could "archive" old inactive threads and move them into a seperate database or something like that.

Guess my best bet is to pull the FLG's out of the database, that should reduce the HoF database enough to let me fit it and the forum both comfortably into the 100Mb MySQL option. Need to do some refactoring for a few things to make that work, I'll try to get to it ASAP though, the site rely is unbarably slow currently.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

This forum is limited to administrators and moderators, regular users are prohibited from posting messages here.