Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Possible exploit

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

CountBasarab
Registered user
CountBasarab

Last page view:

6465 days, 2 hours, 38 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 at 10:01 (GMT -5)

I have been reading this forum for years, but this is my first chance to post something new. (At least I have never seen a post on it)

We all know that you can get random potions from the fool in exchange for booze. My question is: Are the potions he gives you dependent on the Threat of the dungeon. In my experiece he gives real crap, but it would be simplicity itself to draw him to up the very frightening cave abit to the north and west. This would be an end game theme for a couple of reasons. You would need a real tall stack of booze to make the time in the wilderness well spent, and you would have to be high enough lvl to make the cave truely terrifing.

If he DOES give potions based on the threat of the dungeon, I can see you walking in with a couple dozen boozes and walking out with !GA/!CC/!Speed/!QuicklingBlood

I have wanted for months to try this myself, but my characters keep dying before I can get that far into the game. (one the the Emp Moloch, one walked around a corner into a gorgen, and one to a fatal game bug) Hell, that's ADOM though.

So I decided to put it to the forums. Someone please tell me if my idea works!

~John
Eat me.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1220 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 at 11:40 (GMT -5)

Can you even lead the fool out of town?
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5046 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 at 12:09 (GMT -5)

I didn't think you could? People in terinyo don't step on the outer squares do they?
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

CountBasarab
Registered user
CountBasarab

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 at 12:46 (GMT -5)

Yer... And he resists :s. However it might be possible to lure him off with a monk. Get a humanoid badyguy to attack and then manipulate the badguy with :s until the fool was by an edge. You could also burn a wish for it; that is wish for the fool in some dangerous place. You could also read a half dozen cursed scrolls of danger in the town. (can you write scrolls of danger without incuring too much mana cost?). You also might be able to do it with a wand of monster creation if you got very very lucky. If either the fool or the monster he was fighting grew afraid they could run to a wall. I think that ordering a pet to attack will make him hostile to you, but I'm not 100%.

Any other suggestions? For testing purposes burning a wish seems easiest. Can you wish for a fool? Either that or the scrolls of danger which would work for sure. Anyways... I am sure that SOMETHING along these lines in possible. Any thoughts on the topic would be most welcome.

~John
Eat me.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 22 hours, 37 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 at 19:32 (GMT -5)

The fool can be confused and led out of town. However, it's pointless, since most potions can be generated in Terinyo already (I've received numerous PoGA and PoCC from him). A few rare ones can't, like quickling blood, but you're so unlikely to receive them by bringing him to the SMC that it's not worth the hassle.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
CountBasarab
Registered user
CountBasarab

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 at 07:39 (GMT -5)

I ran a bunch of tests with a Merchant. I Went into the SMC and save scummed a couple of wishes with a pool then I took him back to the surface to check what potions can be gotten.
I will compile all the data if anyone wants it, but here is the jist:

The potions that are generated ARE dependant on the threat so it EXTREMELY unlikely to get anything that is not generated on Threat lvl one. Potions that you can get are:

potion of balance
potion of beauty
potion of blindness
potion of booze
potion of carrot juice
potion of charisma
potion of confusion
potion of deafness
potion of exchange
potion of gain attributes
potion of healing
potion of invisibility
potion of learning
potion of poison
potion of potential beauty
potion of potential charisma
potion of potential learning
potion of visibility

However, but read just one uncursed scroll of danger you increase the threat lvl to two and unlock the following potions

oil of rust removal
potion of cure corruption !!
potion of cure poison
potion of extra healing !
potion of insight
potion of mana !
potion of potential mana
potion of potential willpower
potion of raw mana
potion of stun recovery
potion of troll blood
potion of water
potion of willpower !

There are a bunch of kill to have potions in there. One more will unlock:

berzio potion
potion of dexterity !
potion of longevity
potion of potential dexterity
potion of potential strength
potion of potential toughness
potion of strength !
potion of toughness !
potion of training
potion of wonder
potion of youth

So what you want decides how many you should read
After turning in almost 500 booze to this guy at various danger lvls, it seems that after about lvl 3 you get diminishing returns. At lvl 5 you get boost speed. Lvl 15 ultraheal. Lvl 20 Quickling blood.

Bottom line: If you have an extra scroll of danger or two and a stack of booze a mile high it is just silly not to use them in this fasion.
Eat me.
Molach unplugged
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 at 14:13 (GMT -5)

I don't think you can get booze from the drunk. I've never gotten one.

And secondly, hmmmmmmmmm

You're pushing down the odds of getting PoGA, which in many ways is THE potion you want. Everything in the game is easier with higher stats.

Dropping PoGA chance from 5,56% to 3,23 % is not too good.

OTOH if stats already are insanely high, then you might need quickling blood and boost speed and good healing potions
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5879 days, 6 hours, 49 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 at 01:29 (GMT -5)

Very interesting. Thanks, CountBasarab.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
hearter
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 at 01:45 (GMT -5)

i've gotten booze from booze before.

and yes, i think just one danger scroll is optimal(for the !oga)
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3892 days, 20 hours, 53 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 at 06:24 (GMT -5)

there's no need for the fool to step on the outmost line of Terinyo (on which I don't think he will step), he can probably be lead out if the positions are like this:
... <- step here to exit terinyo
.@. <- the last line you can step on
t..

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5470 days, 14 hours, 3 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 16:23 (GMT -5)

I have gotten !longetivety at Terinyo in 1.0.1 (havent actually played for a while so I don't know if 1.0.2 is out :P)
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: