Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Archmagey Business

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5050 days, 18 hours, 36 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 at 13:51 (GMT -5)

Howdy peeps.

Right, I've got my Human Wizard, Pendarric, up to Lv 50, and have pretty much obliterated anything that has come up against me. Done Lv 50, done the major quests. I want to get my dude up to Archmage level. Wish now costs 1500, and I've got PP of 727.

Basic stats are:

St: 28 Le:33 Wi:38 Dx:42 To:25 Ch:22 Ap:18 Ma:29 Pe:24 Hitpoints: 507 PP: 727

I found a wand of wishing on LV 50 with 3 charges (so got myself 4 wishes to use). What's best to wish for to help get to archmage status?

What's next? Blue Dragon Cave Scumming? Gremlin Scumming? I've still got to do the Unicorn Quest (not thats really going to achieve much now!). Can I still get to Keriax? I've got 12 artefacts to give the ratling if I can still go down this route.

Er........any other ideas? I wanna get Archmage level, and then do a dive into the ID to see how far I get.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated!

Ta chaps!

-----------
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5443 days, 14 hours, 53 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 at 14:14 (GMT -5)

You could try major gremlin bombing. I'm not sure what loot it gives, but drop a fluffball in the water cave :-). Pretty soon entire thing will be filled, but they'll all drown in a few turns. With your wishes, you could try getting Mana/PoGA to be able to cast wish.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4237 days, 21 hours, 52 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 at 14:53 (GMT -5)

What you really need is the mana battery corruption. Pity you don't have the mana orb, as it's kinda handy... Anyway, get the mana battery corruption (you can make use of a tract of order and a chaos trap to keep getting a corruption and removing it till you get the right one) and then drop all of your wands. Be careful with the wand of wishing though! Best using it before the corruption to get lots of magical writing sets so you can write scrolls of charging. Keep recharging the wands and dropping them to get loads and loads of PP. You're best getting over 4500 so you can book-cast wish. Remember, spells are cheaper on Silvernight. Armour with the "of power" suffix helps your PP too. Also remember that you need enough PP even when your Mana drops to 1 (Trident of the Red Rooster would help if you can get it).

Er, assuming you manage all of that (would take a good deal of time) you can then start wishing and wishing. You'll need a few hundred PoGA, lots of water, and all the other items you want from the game.

Blue dragon scumming is most definitely advisable. Keriax is still available, and if you're not worried about corruption then I'd advise you eat the multi-headed chaos dragon's corpse.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 at 16:41 (GMT -5)

Sad thing is, my spellbook of Wish got obliterated by an Acid Trap. I was not pleased AT ALL. I've got about 300 learnt though. Sadly, you can't wish for spell books of wish either! Hmmm, need another book. But not sure if their is only one of them in the game. I suppose I could dip books into PoE and try and get one.

Yeah, thinking killing and scoffing Keriax would be an option. The unicorn could then wipe out the corruptions from him, and i get the nice boost. I ate Nurrag Varns corpse, and only got a lousy +2 Mana. I thought it was supposed to be +12!

Definately gonna have to try the mana battery thing. It's the best way I can think of.

Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 at 17:00 (GMT -5)

Actually, thinking about it, I can't get to Keriax, cos I'm L+, and thats not good for the ratling. And I don't want to become a fallen champion really. Not fair!

Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5140 days, 3 hours, 46 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 at 15:02 (GMT -5)

You can cast it right now from PP + HP as HP counts double.

You can get multiple books of wish since they are not artifacts (like you noticed..), but they have less chance of being generated than other books. I dont know if this lesser generation chance also makes it harder to get them by PoEX-dipping...mabye not?

Corruption trap is the way to go, yes. Easy to make, and pressing ctrl-t is pretty fast. You could also enter the last level of scintillating cave which still should corrupt you now. Or you could wield the moon sickle, or even use it to generate potions of raw chaos.

Then scum for wands like there is no tomorrow. When you start you wishing spree, remember stats will go down to 1, so PP should be high enough with 1 mana and willpower. Some items give boni to these stats so they should be worn.

IF you get a new spellbook of wish you should wish for:99 PoGA, as many PoUH and PoEH as you have patience for to build HP, wands of "anything" to boost PP (probably not as needed), Potions of quickling blood to get speed up to a decent level, like 1000+. A lot of amulets of life saving. And mabye wish for eternium stuff till you get some decent prefix/suffixes (empowered eternium plate mail of life? wicked eternium spear of devastation/swift eternium spear of defense?)
Or use moloch armor and wish for a bag of scrolls of defense. (use defence/protection scrolls to boots all other equipment high too)
Scrolls of magic mapping, sure, and scrolls of power to regain PP while descending. And mabye wands of teleportation so you dont use up PP.

By the way, I have had 2 PP-scumming characters with the mana corruption accidently drain a wand of wishing (unid'ed, and picking up loot too) so watch out for that...

Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 at 16:42 (GMT -5)

Cool, I've got myself the mana absorption corruption. Nice to know I can recharge my wands as well once, just to get the extra bits.

Also, I backed my game up, since my last wizard was killed after the game crashed when I gave Khelly an amulet. It's crashed once on me already in this game, but thankfully I had it saved again. Are we considering that as cheating? It's just I don't want to see my character die because of the game crashing. If I die in game, and its my own fault, thats fair enough and I'll let him lie. Otherwise.....well.

Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 at 17:22 (GMT -5)

I don't call it "killed" when character is lost to crash, power failure, savegame corruption caused by virus. It's just lost, and if you have a savegame you back it up. So no cheating there.

Backing up a regular death (oh I didn't mean to do that...blah blah) IS.

Backing up when:

• My cat walked onto my keyboard and got my char killed
  • I came home extremely drunk, played some and died
  • My girlfriend somehow loaded up the game and killed off my promising high elf char named "Legolas"
  • I was angry with my boss, and therefore loaded up the game and tried to kill the Dwarven elder and died to the shopkeeper
  • I was ADOMing at work, and when a boss suddenly was approaching I pushed wrong keys and got my character killed

are up for debate.

Whatcha think?

P.S one of the above happened to me. Guess which, and no, I did not backup.
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 at 17:29 (GMT -5)

Thats ok then. I don't mind if my dude dies because I've been a dumbass. That's fine with me. But the game as a nasty habit of just randomly crashing at a vital point.

Hmm.....I'd guess.....either girlfriend killing the character or ADOMing at work. But they are all valid reasons for a backup I must say!

Scumming the dragon caves at the minute. Loving Death Ray Spell. They all just crumble :D So far have got 1 SoCR. 1 potion of Dex, 1 potion of mana, 2 PoGA and a ring of weakness. Thought I'd give the ring of weakness a go in the wilderness and go eat some ogre corpses for a strength boost. Str of 2, ate about 20 odd corpses and no boost?! How comes?!

The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5612 days, 4 hours, 49 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 at 02:04 (GMT -5)

PeanutGod: No, spellbooks of wish are not unique items, just VERY rare. They can even be generated in a bookshop, though that is extremely rare and they are expensive. In my Archmage victory the char found IIRC the grand total of *FIVE* spellbooks of wish - one in the library, one generated in a bookshop (after buying the shop out numerous times), two random drops in BDC and one random drop somewhere else. The bookshop one cost IIRC about 1.6 million GP but after prolonged BDC scumming that was just peanuts.

And about that ogre scumming with RoWeakness. Did you remove the ring after eating the corpses ? If not try doing that. Remember, the ring keeps your chars effective strength at 2 even if the natural strength rises.

As for trying archmage, I'd first close the portal and then spend time gaining the required PP. Without background corruption to worry about it is much more pleasing to reach for archmage. Unless you are aiming for Archmage Ultra Ending I'd recommend that method. Also, I'd recommend against having the mana battery corruption when collecting wands. Remember, you won't get any PP from cursed wands and since some of wands are cursed you'll lose on PP. It only takes one blessed ?oRC to uncurse entire inventory. So you could first collect several hundred wands, have them all uncursed (and preferably blessed, at least some of them) and then get the mana battery corruption and empty the lot at a time. You could also use charging means (booze etc.) to repeatedly charge and drain ONE BLESSED wand and thus gain even more PP.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 at 10:42 (GMT -5)

Alas, I lost my character when coming home extremely drunk and started ADOMing.

(I was trying to pass some time so I wouldn't fall asleep with alcohol still entering bloodstream from stomach, because that can lead to sickness that won't be cured by no curaria mancox...)
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1883 days, 17 hours, 25 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 at 11:06 (GMT -5)

Sorry man...I have lost many promising characters to drunken gaming...oh, the circle of life!

you were going pretty good though!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4237 days, 21 hours, 52 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 at 13:07 (GMT -5)

The best solution to drunken ADOM is to try out something like the Iron Man or Brimstone Man challenge. You'll be pleased with how well you do early on, and you'll probably fall asleep before you get too far (when you'd die regardless)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: