Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Luck or skill?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5438 days, 3 hours, 17 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 at 07:01 (GMT -5)

How do you win Adom? Luck, or Skill? For instance, if you're character got no really great luck can you still win? If so, does that mean you can win with weird classes like merchants and farmers? Or, is it the two?
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother

Is Adom luck or skill?
Yes  No
Check results

Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 10 hours, 58 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 at 09:31 (GMT -5)

Um, that is not exactly a yes/no question, and even if it were, I would say "something in between".
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
ej
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 at 11:20 (GMT -5)

I'd say it's more about skill. Luck can matter alot, but you dont need above average luck to win, if you play with alot of skill you can make the chance to die very small, but it's stil there.

in the early game however I think luck plays a much bigger role.
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

5782 days, 1 hour and 46 minutes ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 at 12:08 (GMT -5)

amen 2 the above=)
All roads lead to chaos, in the end.
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5877 days, 18 hours, 28 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 at 04:07 (GMT -5)

Lol. I love this poll...
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 07:10 (GMT -5)

Mostly it's luck, but the more skill you have, the less luck you need. Still, without having ANY luck, ADOM is unwinnable.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
ej
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

without luck it's impossible to roll 6 with a normal 6-sided dice, but in practice you'll always roll 6 if you try a few times. same thing with adom and the rng.
ej
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 09:03 (GMT -5)

Mostly it's skill, but the more luck you have, the less skill you need. Still, without having ANY skill, ADOM is unwinnable.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 17:57 (GMT -5)

Luck is *anything* beneficial the RNG creates for you at *any* given point without it being guaranteed.

It is in no way "guaranteed" that you'll roll a six if you roll a die, regardless of how often you do it. You can only increase your chances of having rolled a six at some point, up to almost 100%, but it is never *guaranteed* that you roll a six. (IF you don't cheat.)

If you equal "six" with "item beneficial to you" Skill reduces the number of sixes you need to win the game, simply put. But even the most skilled still have to get some equipment to work with beyond the starting equipment, and have to hope the RNG DOESN'T put anything really bad in front of (and behind) them, which could also be called luck.

It is true, both Skill and Luck are essential to winning the game. (A big part of Skill in ADOM consists of knowing ways to improve your luck, i. e. finding or creating more beneficial items, staying out of dangerous places, knowing when to run and when to fight to live another day and find something helpful)

Saying that an ADOMer needs only Skill, but no luck, to win any given game couldn't be farther from the truth. A very skilled ADOMer can win the game with *less* luck than others, even with less than average luck, but not without any of it.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5018 days, 13 hours, 13 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 at 01:00 (GMT -5)

a skilled ADOMer makes his or her luck ;)
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5134 days, 16 hours, 10 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 at 08:53 (GMT -5)

I'd say that skill is more important than luck. A lot more, even.

There is some bad things that can happen, but mostly deaths are due to recklessness, or trusting in getting a lucky break.

Doing the SMC is generally bad for the characters survival odds, but I do it because I can just start another char. Same with UD dive. And going through DH. I usually do it for excitement, but accept that it was my carelessness and not bad luck that killed me if I die.

There are many boring things one can do to buff up before doing anything dangerous. Gremlin-scumming. Collecting herbs for stats. Selling SI's for gold to buy stats. Scumming ID for spellbooks, experience, items.

But I still like the luck element of the game, and I do play aggressively because that is more fun than the sure thing...
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 at 10:25 (GMT -5)

You play the game the same way I do. I've made a habit of not scumming fervently. I think I rarely ever use Garth, or get precrowned. If I want a wish, typically I will try to drink pools in Darkforge instead of scumming gremlins - Because the former requires a tough, stupid and reckless character and is far more exciting ;)
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4763 days, 20 hours, 37 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 at 06:15 (GMT -5)

Luck will always even itself out over 100 games, skill will not. Those with greater skill will always get a higher %age of wins.
The early game is as much luck as skill, stone block traps being the best example here. But once beyond the early game, ie lvl 13, skill is what will take you the rest of the way.
Yes you can be unlucky, ie a pixie teleporting into a locked room while you are dancing on an altar, but without skill you will never see lvl 50 and get to pull those handles.
ej
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 17:40 (GMT -5)

luck * skill = succes
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5877 days, 18 hours, 28 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 21:22 (GMT -5)

Brilliant formula, ej.

Like, one time, before my spoilage via the guidebook, etc., I had found and ID'd a "Ring of Djinni Summoning." It was uncursed, but I'd remembered hearing something about it. So I used it, and got a pet djinni for a while... funny thing is, I never reallized that "djinni" was just another way of spelling "genie." I think I'd have realized what I could have done with it if I had thought about that...
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: