Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Starting Equipment

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Craig
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2001 at 08:13 (GMT -5)

I've only played ADOM as a Bard, and ususally find it difficult to get anywhere to begin with - the number of times I have dies between levels 1-6 is astounding.

I started a new random character, I think it ended up a Dark Elf Necromancer, and it had loads of useful equipment, where as a Bard seems to get a wand of light, a sword, a dagger and a bit of food - Just out of curiousity what starts off withe the best/most useful equipment?
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5656 days, 17 hours, 4 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2001 at 10:46 (GMT -5)

easy.
paladin.

ivan.sourceforge.net
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

8032 days, 5 hours, 27 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2001 at 02:52 (GMT -5)

i've had elementalists and wizards that started out unstoppable. burning hands and frostbolt and such. rangers start out with two weapons.
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7771 days, 3 hours, 3 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2001 at 13:57 (GMT -5)

I agree with Duke.Paladins start with the best equipment.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Jacknife
Registered user

Last page view:

8130 days, 17 hours, 48 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2001 at 15:31 (GMT -5)

My recently belated elementalist started with burning hands, frost bolt, soon gained earthquake, firbolt, and firball...all by lvl 10, i think, that guy was a beast...though his actual equipment really sucked

-Peace Out, War In
-Jacknife
Duke Ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2001 at 12:44 (GMT -5)

all elementallists start out w/ frost bolt & burning hands, at lvl 5 they get fireball and firebolt, and at lvl 10 they get earthquake. dunno what they get after that though, never kept one alive longer than lvl ~11 or 12.
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7917 days, 23 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2001 at 13:27 (GMT -5)

Bards tend to die very early in the game, so you really shouldn't be playing them until you've had more experience.

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2001 at 14:14 (GMT -5)

Yup bards,traders,mindcrafters are for experienced players.
Thieves,farmers usually are the intermediate level.

Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5823 days, 17 hours, 51 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2001 at 08:37 (GMT -5)

Grey elfs are kewl, they start out with elven chain mail, usually [+0, +5] but often upto [+0, +7]

Hrmmm... i don't like this "experianced level class" kind of thought. Any class if you look after the charactor can live, and i would assume newbies would be less likely to dive down the CoC with a weak charactor then a more experianced player. I've reached the ancient dwarf and he said i was too low a level to do his quests, cheap bastard.

I don't think you could create a charactor who couldn't survive level-hopping in the ID (on the first and second levels). Any problems, run!

I think that the reason bards are hard classes is because they're not exploited as much as possible. Use every skill, read every book. Bards that start off with healing/concentration/food preservation/alertness/detect item status or even cooking and stuff like that have a nice little start on thier hands. They can be rather powerful charactors.

Make sure you exploit your music skill. "Oh, i don't have courage and there's a team of worms sourrounding me while a werewolf lord is doing damage to me, i can't hit him 'cos i'm not brave" Coward urself, and music the worms. And send those bloody spiders back to the dark elven priestess. Cat problems are almost a thing of the past. Blink dog passification. The ability to kill non-hostiles without losing align is nice.

"Oh, is that a cutpurse, wasn't that my first kill and i haven't got the courage quest yet". Order his execution. "Oh, a chaos spider in the pyramid, lets sent it against rhetep and take half his hp away" You can send them against monsters you cant take down to delay them so you can get away.

Many uses bards have.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Gyr
Registered user

Last page view:

8147 days, 2 hours, 8 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 at 22:13 (GMT -5)

Have to say Merchant wins out on eq, hands down. They start out with a whole slew of merchandise, and a vast quantity of deadly missiles which are also useful for purchasing things (aka gold).

Though ultimately it depends on what you consider useful, I suppose. Priests might be a better pick, depending on your playing style.
Hassinen
Registered user

Last page view:

8148 days, 1 hour, 29 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 at 07:58 (GMT -5)

I think one of my elves started out with an elven chail mail [+2,+7], blessed. Now THAT's hard to beat for a beginning char.

Although merchants' merchandise might indeed prove useful.

BTW, talk about RNG! My trollish beastfigher has so far found 3 book shops, and nothing else. And I heard that priests find a lot of books =/

If something can go wrong, it will.
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 at 13:51 (GMT -5)

I had an elf start out with an eleven chain mail
[+2,+9].The beginnin was a breeze.This char was unbeatable until he ate a gorgon corpse by mistake.
I've really never heard that priests find lot of book shops.Is that true.

Hassinen
Registered user

Last page view:

8148 days, 1 hour, 29 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 at 15:11 (GMT -5)

No, not book shops, but books, I believe. Monsters drop more books to them randomly when killed, at least thats what I've heard. I just wanted to point out my disappointment when those shops could've been a bit more useful to me, like rings or potions or something. LE 5 doesn't help you with learning spells from books, you know.

Also, I've noticed he's a pretty unfriendly person, CH 1 with a potential 2 =P

If something can go wrong, it will.
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5823 days, 17 hours, 51 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2001 at 00:42 (GMT -5)

Priests definately do find more spellbooks then any other race i've played. Lots more then wizards/elementalists. Level-hopping in the ID will load tonnes of spellbooks.

From my experiance, shops are totally random apart from the long-lost brother special birth message, which just increases the number.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Iridia
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2001 at 02:49 (GMT -5)

My characters all get to music=100 when they find a room with the "rich smell" effect. Equip an instrument, hold down the "u" key and come back in about four hours. Make sure to lock the door.

Beware--
Ogres can smash through doors. Exterminate them first.
Corruption zones are out, or you'll come back to a purple "j".
You'll use up at least a couple months' game time, so bye-bye Kenny (but he's probably already dead by the time you get an instrument, a key, and the required room message).
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7917 days, 23 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2001 at 07:28 (GMT -5)

*edit* n/m, didn't see that you said room with rich smell.

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2001 at 15:25 (GMT -5)

Why on earth would someone wait 4 hours real time to get music to 100.Just use, PoE,PoTr,SoE.
Just write a few SoE,wear the ankh n cross your fingers.Better than using up months of game time.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: