Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / Dwarf Fortress

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5635 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 at 03:54 (GMT -5)

Dunno how many of you have heard of this one. www.bay12games.com is the site. It's fking awesome. Trust me on this one. That's the... well, not the ONLY reason I came back here, but I'm leaving again now, so... Check it out. See ya!

Oh and, some of you folks that remember me, CONTACT ME. Seriously. I'm running out of people to talk to. :D I think everything in my profile is still accurate... other than like, age, and stuff, that is...
ivan.sourceforge.net
Lunt
Registered user

Last page view:

6080 days, 10 hours, 59 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 at 17:19 (GMT -5)

I checked it out and that game shows an amazing amount of promise. I will keep my eye on it.
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 at 03:25 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I remember you ;) (and also your signature image)
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 at 03:26 (GMT -5)

... although I rarely do anything on these forums.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5960 days, 14 hours, 26 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 at 16:43 (GMT -5)

Maaan.. What does it look like? eh. I'm gonna see in half an hour anyway.
Ubi patria ibi bene!
FaultyLogic
Registered user
Doombringer of Hellfire

Last page view:

6291 days, 21 hours, 56 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 at 16:04 (GMT -5)

Ah, this is so great ! Thanks for telling!
Have at thee!
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5417 days, 16 hours, 49 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 at 20:35 (GMT -5)

Shows lots of promise and is fun, took me a good half hour to generate world. A question, how do you farm? And, my fisherman has lots of raw turtle on the floor, but how do I cook/eat it? I am constructing a fishery but it takes ALOT of stuff to make it.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
FaultyLogic
Registered user
Doombringer of Hellfire

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 at 08:23 (GMT -5)

On the Bay12 website there is a great wiki that covers nearly everything. But basically you must learn to control the waterflow with floodgates and such to make a plot muddy, then build a farm on it. Fishery just needs 1 stone to be built, but you might need to toggle your arcitecht to be a fish cleaner for him to build it. It's strange..

And to everyone else, Dwarf Fortress is by far the greatest game I have ever played. I actually haven't played AdoM once since I saw this thread..
Have at thee!
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5857 days, 8 hours and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 at 17:57 (GMT -5)

Wow. Lots of potential, indeed.

Now if only JADE were to be like this... except ADoM-style! Generation of a world like that, combined with ADoM-style gameplay...

*drool*
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
FaultyLogic
Registered user
Doombringer of Hellfire

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 11:27 (GMT -5)

Well, I believe adventure mode in DF is better then AdoM. But that's because it's more realistic, and really a matter of taste I guess. But when the final version comes out.. Oh, now that's something to drool about.
Have at thee!
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1198 days, 11 hours, 55 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 18:41 (GMT -5)

Haha. Started a human, and starting killing children. Wandered into a house and slaughtered a family.

Tried walking outside and a guard hit me halfway across town, and splattered my brain on the ground.

Started a dwarf, and got ambushed by three lions. Killed two of them, and the third tore my sword arm off.. I ended up fighting for my life, grappling it with my one remaining arm, untill it finally started tearing off dwarf chunks.

This game is awesome, even if im not too sure how to play
Wingnut
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 at 09:37 (GMT -5)

Does anyone have problems running this game?

My computer isn't top of the line, but I imagine it should be able to run a game like this. It's hard to travel anywhere on the overmap because it takes a second to load every time I move.

The game seems like it could be fun though. I just don't know if I can get past the poor performance.
Worst Player... ever
Registered user

Last page view:

4664 days, 23 hours, 41 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 at 00:24 (GMT -5)

I just downloaded this. It looks like it might be amazing. I was sitting there watching the world get created, and I was like, is this program really generating a random geologically accurate world with a complete random history? wtf?

They sure could use a tutorial or a real manual though... maybe I'm slow, but Jesus, I played for an hour and I still had almost no idea what was going on. I might as well have been trying to fly the space shuttle. :-o

It looks nice, but I'll stick with ADOM for now.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/8/2008 at 00:26 (GMT -5) by Worst Player... ever]
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5629 days, 13 hours, 52 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 14:59 (GMT -5)

The only thing that stops me playing is the interface....it's AWFUL! I want to love it, but even playing in Adventure mode is a pain in the ass. Being and ASCII game is no excuse, just look at ADOM. There are loads of ways they could streamline it without sacrificing game play depth.

It's still in early development though, so I check in for updates now and again.
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user
So I was talking to a dark elf

Last page view:

5680 days, 16 hours, 6 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 at 18:38 (GMT -5)

Just started playing it, and thank goodnes! I was getting tired of ADOM, and this Unreal World demo I got a few days ago.

Already lost my first fort. :(

But I have started a new one, and mixed up the begining skill points a bit with my dwarfs.

I have to say the interface is a bit scary, but as soon as you understand the very basics, e.g. digging, stockpiles, really everything else comes naturally. As for some of the advance or if you fort lasts long enough, the wiki should help for that stuff.

Some advice here, make sure you have some crossbows to begin with, than start making some wood bolts, it should help with some of the first threats, although try not to rely on it.

Weapon champions are your only good attack force, and especially dogs for any point of your game, I won't mention everything though.
You attack the Ancient pink dragon with all of your force, but do not mange to harm it! The Ancient Pink Dragon breaths a deathray, poision, fire, acid, ice, lightning, water, corruption, missle, petrefication, and stun breath at you. All of your equipment is torn apart! You die...
#######################################
..-------------------------------D%$[(%
#######################################

Robojesus_gintfrg St99 Le99 Wi99 Dx99 To99 Ch99 A99 Ma99 Pe99 L++ Dv/Pv 1500/1500 H -5843(18857) P 99999 (99999) Exp50/48320283474958492 ID:48374 Spd:5833 Blessed Invisible Bloated
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5139 days, 21 hours, 20 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 09:46 (GMT -5)

I watched this demo video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnUz_BfShUw&feature=related

.. and it looked boring to me.. who cares about building a fortress! :-D
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4041 days, 30 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 at 12:38 (GMT -5)

Eh. Crossbows are extremely easy to make later on. I generally spend my starting money on skills, food, booze, two picks, food, booze, one steel battle axe, lots of seeds, food, food, booze, food, booze, booze and last but not least food and booze.

It's so much easier to just squeeze in Novice Bowyering somewhere. Excellent skill for your Mason, who's not going to be able to do much apart from that anyway.

Then again, you can start with maps without wood or lots of fierce enemies... In which case you shouldn't just bring a crossbow, but train yourself a proper marksdwarf :)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: