Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Need black altar for pre-crown

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Lunt
Registered user

Last page view:

6106 days, 19 hours, 44 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 at 20:29 (GMT -5)

I have cleared druid cave, puppy cave, UD, and CoC 1-11, but no altars have been generated yet except for dwarftown. I am looking to get precrowned as C.

So is there somewhere I can look for an altar without making more artifacts, or is there a way I can convert the dwarftown altar without making the whole level hostile? If I convert it and fight the priest will all the dwarves get angry?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/26/2006 at 20:30 (GMT -5) by Lunt]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4238 days, 8 hours, 34 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 at 21:12 (GMT -5)

Well, firstly, why a chaotic precrown? You could convert to neutral and use the dwarftown altar for a neutral precrowning.

If you want to convert the altar though I think it's best to lurer the priest off the level. You can do this by using ventriloquism to make him hostile, or get a pet to attack him and get the pet to follow you off the level (with the priest in tow).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5612 days, 15 hours, 30 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 at 00:43 (GMT -5)

One way to convert the altar is to first summon monsters in the temple and let them kill the priest. If the priest is killed by monsters and not the PC there apparently is no "shade revenge" and it should be possible to convert the altar without interference.

I can't guarantee this 100%, but in one game I did summon monsters in the temple and had them kill the priest (was not intending to convert the altar, just wanted some fun) and some inhabitants. Didn't notice any shade revenge and no muscular dwarves.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4148 days, 13 hours, 51 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 at 02:16 (GMT -5)

simple use a companion to kill the priest.
dwarftown may turn hostile against your pet, but not against you.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5883 days, 16 hours, 46 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 at 04:43 (GMT -5)

Heh. Hehe. Can we say, necromancer hayday? :D
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5140 days, 14 hours, 28 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 at 06:58 (GMT -5)

I often let the greater daemon kill the priest, so I can convert altar at will if needed. But that usually means you generate at least one artifact (golden gladius).

If I found an altar away from Dwarftown I would prefer it to be L for easy saccing of live things. C works just as well but I find it's too easy to mess up and get sacced by a monster

Since the player in question only can use the dwarftown one, might as well get neutral. Because saccing live in dwarftown is very slow (have to lure them in from other levels) and should sac other stuff instead
Lunt
Registered user

Last page view:

6106 days, 19 hours, 44 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 at 20:14 (GMT -5)

I took the first guy's advice and went neutral. I harvested stoma without pacifying the bigroom, instead I let a bunch of white worms gather up on one side of the map so they could trickle over and I could gain weapon skill while harvesting. About 10 game days and 800 white worms later I was precrowned with Purifier (darkelf paladin). I headed back to bigroom, read ? of vermin control and started clearing the worms away.
Well killing all those worms was a pretty bad idea because one of them managed to be generated with a terribly high experience lvl. I wasnt watching my hp naturally, as the only thing on the map were these pussy worms, but a single one took me down from 170 hp in a few rounds.
I need another game to play for a couple of weeks, any suggestions?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/27/2006 at 20:19 (GMT -5) by Lunt]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4067 days, 9 hours, 16 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 08:55 (GMT -5)

Play ADOM anyway, and pay attention to those goddamn worms.

NEVER use worms for collecting weapon skill marks. They get freakishly dangerous even after a kill score of several hundreds. Gremlins are ok, they start getting dangerous at 3000.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5444 days, 1 hour, 34 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 at 07:51 (GMT -5)

Yeah, my archer had killed some 500 worms. They got REALLY powerful. One almost killed him... even after I ran and zapped everything I had at him. This was at level... 15 and even at 50 I wouldn't have fought some of them. Do scrolls of vermin control always work? I've read them one, but things kept spawning. Killing the priest is very easy. One of Thundarr's quest rewards is a SoFS right? And, there's a dwarven halls right next to there right? I doubt the priest could take on a greater earth elemental... or a balor (I actually got one once, decided it wanted to kill me, barely escaped).
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: