Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / What weapon should weild?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

5667 days, 6 hours, 32 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

OK, my level 29 Dark Elven Necromancer has the following interesting Melee weapons -what should I be using?
-uncursed rune-covered club "Skullcrusher" (+12, 3d6+2) [-3, +0] {ST+4}
-uncursed hateful adamantium scimitar (+0, 1d8+9)
-uncursed lead-filled mace "Big PUnch" (+1 8d5+3) [-6, +0]
-uncursed sword of Nonnak (+2, 4d3+2) [+2, +2] {Wi+5}
-uncursed jet-black battle axe "Executor" (+2, 5d6+6) [-4, +1} {ST+3} (+3 spd)
-uncursed whip of the snake (-2, 5d2+8) {Dx+7} (+7 spd)
-uncursed mace of destruction (+4, 5d6+6)
-uncursed mithril spear of mayhem (+1, 3d8+9)
-uncursed scythe of corruption "Moon Sickle" (+6, 10d4+6) [+2, +2]
-uncursed adamantium two-handed sword (+12, 3d5+14) [-1, +0}
Battle Bunny: "Ach, maybe his Christian altar was stepped on.
By a moloch."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 14 hours, 56 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 at 19:14 (GMT -5)

I'd personally say Executor with a very good shield. It's simply the best one-handed weapon in the game, in my opinion. It cursing you mind, but that shouldn't be much of a problem, especially combined with the high damage, humanoid + demon slaying and a couple of handy resistances. Otherwise Skullcrusher is pretty decent for humanoid slaying. Sword of Nonnak can be hndy if you just want the Wi bonus as a spellcaster.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3749 days, 23 hours, 41 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 at 19:24 (GMT -5)

Don't wield moon sickle, whatever you do. It'll corrupt you if you wield it.

Skullcrusher's pretty good. And the Willpower from the sword of Nonnak would be good for a caster--especially if it pushes you over the WIS 32 boundary.

Carry that whip of the snake with you; you'll want the speed bonus sometimes.

If you wield Executor, you essentially make the game more difficult. Cursing makes monsters stronger and you get hit harder. It *is* a very good weapon; but you don't have a good axe-type weapon to wield when you don't want cursing (elemental temples, for example) so I don't recommend it.

Good weapons are fine; but don't neglect your defense! If you do only one point of damage each time you hit a monster, but the monster can't hit you... then you win. (Unless it regenerates; then I guess it's ten points or something--still small amount.) The best offense is a good defense...
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5439 days, 7 hours, 57 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 at 20:33 (GMT -5)

Definately go for the 1H. A good shield will net you atleast some 40 dv. I would switch depending on what you are fighting. Whip of snake +running+casting=kill. That being said, I would mainly Executor. If it gets too tough with the enemies being tougher switch to skullcrusher or try to get a good spear of devestation
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 at 21:56 (GMT -5)

I have an excellent tower shield at the moment -my characters seem to run across one of those invariably -so much so that I usually end up using one with all my characters. It's crystal or something very good, I think it's [+12, +4] or some such. I do like executor quite a bit, and I know about moon sickle's corruption; I've heard it's a viable option in some cases, though. I think I just picked up Long Sting, but I never use pole arms; good ones are so scarce. In the early game you usually use whatever's best so you have a few points in most stuff, but since they're rare, I usually never have skill with them, and like now by the time a good one comes along it's not worth it. I've got the helm of water breathing though, so I might try to get the rune-covered trident... it's pretty kickass from the numbers but I've never had it.
By a moloch."
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5878 days, 23 hours, 8 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 at 22:35 (GMT -5)

Hey, I'm playing a dark elven necromancer, too! I'm currently wielding Purifier, which gives a good +4 Wi as well as demon and undead slaying. It's too bad you don't have it, I think it's pretty good for spellcasters. I'd still recommend Executor though, I played through almost an entire game (all the way to Andor Drakon) using only Executor (of course, that was with an Orcish Barbarian, but even so...). I killed the Ancient Stone Beast in three hits on berserk tactics with it. Crazy weapon, even if it does curse. The strength and speed bonuses are nice, too.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 at 04:34 (GMT -5)

I just killed the emperor moloch with Executor earlier today - demon slaying missiles were taking too long. It really is the ultimate weapon in my opinion. It graces me through all the worst areas of the game when I get it, and because you can still have a shield with it you don't have to worry too much in melee (as long as you train up your shield skill of course). The +Curs is only really noticable when travelling in the wilderness - it nets a lot of encounters (which can be handy sometimes but is mostly annoying).

Purifier probably gets my vote as second-best single-handed artifact weapon, and probably best for Paladins (I think they get double damage with it). The demon and undead slaying is very handy, and the construct slaying makes it amazing against golems and elementals. I once had a priest that seemed almost invincible with the combo of that and Protector. Unfortunately it made me a little too over-confident in the dwarven halls :(

As for spears, usually with most characters I'll make sure I get orc scorchers to throw crude spears at me early in the game and use those. The DV bonuses they give are great, and you're bound to find a decent one eventually. Long Sting is two-handed though I think, which ain't good. Same goes for rune-covered trident - it's brilliant if you don't expect anything to ever hit you, but that's about it. I've heard of spear-throwing archers become amazingly strong with it though - so much so that they deliberately start in Raven birth signs to get it early.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 at 12:08 (GMT -5)

I picked up a "semi-artifact", and obsidian Javelin of Doom -according to the guidbook it returns. It also dooms the weilder, apparently. Cursing is one thing -doom is another. I picked it up from another greater vault -this one fire creatures. It was sitting under an ancient red Wyrm (two levels from him!) -I'd have bet money it was an artifact. Oh well. I'm on the Cat Lord level right now -just have to find him to claim my ring :)
By a moloch."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/31/2006 at 12:08 (GMT -5) by Red October]
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 at 15:06 (GMT -5)

It's not an artifact. It's not even very good. 6d6 as a throwing thing, that one dooms, and can break. Ancient red wyrms are BAD!! I repeat, BAD!! Killed my 28 wizard, almost killed my winner ranger, and nearly killed my barbarian. Plus, they stat drain. Congrats on ring, it rocks
-My brother
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 at 00:15 (GMT -5)

I've got the cat ring one one had, one of elemental mastery on the other. The Wyrm didn't stat drain me, he only needed a few ice balls to kill (this was after many, many shots of frost bolt). He doesn't seem to have the one attack that I really hate -whatever that awful bolt attack that emporor liches have is. It generates the message "you feel an energy bolt slicing though your body" and can do several hundred points of damage. It's had many of my characters exhaust themselves teleporting out with fewer than 50 hit points! I'm using the sword of Nonnak at this moment because that plus an amulet of perseverance I've got pushes me to Wi:36; enough for an extra layer to my ball spells. THIS kicks ass.
By a moloch."
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 at 21:02 (GMT -5)

OK -appologies for the double post, but here's an update:
I hit the earth temple and IN THE TEMPLE got a "Surge of power". What is it? Staff of the Archmagi, baby! Weilding it, I've got close to EIGHT HUNDRED power points. I'm level 40 now. I think this guy is going to go all the way. Either that or the mana temple will be his undoing.. I had a wizard I thought was unstoppable, he neve could make it past the mana temple...

What's hillarious is that my speed is over 150 and I the few times I've tried to make companions they've proven useless. I think I'll forget about raising dead unless I get some quickling kings or something, and save my scrolls of familliar summoning for the mana temple -even if I don't take them beyond it, any companios will prove useful there.
By a moloch."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/1/2006 at 21:04 (GMT -5) by Red October]
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 at 21:11 (GMT -5)

IMHO necromancy slaves stink, they just don't help at all. Mana temple brings down all but the best casters. Prepare to either die, lose loads of mana from casting, or use loads of wands. I think the latter is best. But surge in temple? Kool.
-My brother
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 at 07:03 (GMT -5)

Standard strategy for mana temple:

High speed
Death ray resistance
See invisible
Be invisible
Humanoid slaying ammo

With those it shouldn't be too hard to just kill the Archmage, take the orb and run.
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 at 22:05 (GMT -5)

The being invisible part only helps with the magebane and magedoom eyes, though, since chaos servants, greater chaos servants, and annihilators (I think) can all see invisible, as well as the big bad orb guardian himself.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 at 22:53 (GMT -5)

I don't think the Chaos Wizards can see invis, and I tend to find them the biggest nuisance. High speed obviously helps a lot in avoiding the others. Last time I tried this (which was 2 days ago) only the Archmage reacted to my presence, so I just killed him and left (which was handy because clearing the Mana temple tends to be a huge chore with few rewards).
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 at 02:48 (GMT -5)

I can get invisible quite easily. Is he vulnerable to Death Ray, or will I simply fail to amuse him with such puny magicks? Perhaps better to see if I can make him into a "Pez" dispensor with Executor?
By a moloch."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 at 03:04 (GMT -5)

You would most certainly fail to amuse him. He'd probably fire one right back at ya. Executor would work very well, but beware of stat drains. Humaonoid slaying ammo is best if you want to keep your distance. He doesn't actually have all that much hp so it only takes a couple of hits to kill him.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4143 days, 20 hours, 13 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 at 08:59 (GMT -5)

i suugest potion of blindness or confusion before taking him in melee. stops spelcasting and stat draining.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 15 hours, 39 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 at 18:28 (GMT -5)

Oh my god... I just recently killed Nuurag-Vaarn with a spellcaster, and I completely forgot how. I *think* it was Acid Ball, it could also have been slaying ammo, or Magic Missile?

Anyway, I second the humanoid slaying ammo thing, but keep a couple of options open and make sure not to be killed. Oh, and stand in the corridor - that's what's really most important.

(My second winner had the extraordinate luck of possessing a certain club that crushes skulls ;)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 at 01:06 (GMT -5)

I dropped him on my way to the end tonight. Acid ball all the way. I stood in the door with Executor and cut down the Chaos ...people... taking one at a swing. Gotta love the slaying property and "Find Weakness" at 100. Killed the magebane eyes (a combination of magic missiles when they were out of my range and just hitting them when they drained me), read all my blessed scrolls of power (come to think of it praying might have been easier but it's all in the past now) and acid balled him down. Had to cast of HP at the time but I had upwards of 600 so it was no big deal. I was already level 50 but I got a "pseudo-level" for offing him. Nabbed the orb and pulled up stakes from that level. I was corrupting so fast I really didn't want to hang around -and with good reason, by the time I hit D:50, I actually ran out of corruption-ridding stuff in the middle of it. I got the stupid fscking poison-hands corruption... and died when I killed Fisty and his goons dropped me to 1 HP... I teleported out (don't even know where I got the PP but I had like 350 at that time!) and tried to drink some healing potions. I died. But apparently my necromancer was too cool for that shit and I rose, migtily pissed (and taking a HUGE hit to TO... had 117 HP down from 600+ :( ) stormed back in, closed the second lever, obliterated it (wand of destruction method although in theory this guy was buff enough for the "Scorched earth" method, I was just not gonna risk it, especially at the rate I was corrupting.) I got the hell out and got to the Greater white unicorn glade before I friggin' starved (food goes fast when it's all cursed... and I was wearing an invisibilty cloke I just remembered now; I put it on in the mana temple.. silly me) There will be an obligatory victory post later on (tomorrow I get to run around like an idiot doing real-world stuff so it will be tomorrow night) with the requisite infodump. Next character, I'm thinking a ranger or something...
By a moloch."
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 at 02:50 (GMT -5)

Awesome. The necromancer level 50 class power is sweet, if only for pure style. The hp hit is tough, but it's better than dying.

Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 at 15:27 (GMT -5)

Rangers rule. My first real win was with it. Not too hard, except you won't win unless you get insane luck or a few good precrowns. And my 50 had trouble learning light...
-My brother
ej
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 at 08:14 (GMT -5)

sounds like a very stylish final battle red oktober.

btw the findweakness skill doesn't work together with slaying weapons, because with a slaying weapon you score critical hits 100% of the time already, so the findweakness skill becomes useless.
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 at 01:49 (GMT -5)

Oh.
Shows you what I know.
Here I thought the slaying property was what occasionally resulted in the message "you hit the foo with full force and execute it" or some such. Nonetheless find weakness is useful against whatever your slaying weapon DOESN'T slay... granted with Executor in hand this isn't much, but still. If only it slayed undead... Probably the three most dangerous things in the game are humanoids, undead, and demons. Oddly enough, this guy I thought for sure could put down those pesky emporor liches that usually give headaches to all my charachers (shrug off everything but balls and eat a couple dozen Improved fireballs before dropping), and I didn't see one. Only lich I saw was a plain-old lich and I think he LOOKED at me and ran. One improved fireball and hes was no more.
By a moloch."
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5135 days, 20 hours, 51 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 at 08:48 (GMT -5)

Most undead and demons are humanoid.
With humanoid slaying, you mainly gotta watch out for DRAGONS which you forgot to add to dangerous-list.

Ghosts, spectres, shadows are not humanoid. But all other undead should be.
Grues (those x's you find in elemental temples) are not humanoid, but all other demons are. Anyway balors and molochs are humanoid.

And remember, GIANTS can be tough too, especially TITANS. They are also humanoid. (And giant)

Jellies are almost too easy, except for the WMoPCs. But I find I generally have a lot of jelly slaying ammo by the time I meet them regularly (D:50).

Lastly Constructs can be tough too. Diamond golem and eternium golems can hurt (and steel golems when you meet them, but this discussion looks like its for highlevel play). Same as jellies, I got plenty of ammo for them.

So to sum up, a one-handed humanoid slaying melee weapon is the best. Along with jelly/construct slaying ammo.
Wyrmlance is a weapon I love to have, but mainly to whip out when facing dragons.

Therefore skullcrusher would be my choice. Humanoid + demon slayin is a bit overkill, humanoid almost covers it. Bad luck weights up for extra damage I think. But its a close call between those two. But they are both a heck of a lot better than any of the other weapons listed.

But then again, a careful spellcaster should use a spear for DV bonus 90% of the time
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 at 16:20 (GMT -5)

Skullcrusher is good. My barbarian coasted through entire game with it. You really want a shield in other hand, DV is great. Only problem I had was with great big dragons (tremendous won it though) and balors doing loads of damage. I would have preferred Vanquisher though.
-My brother
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 at 11:28 (GMT -5)

Remember with any weapon that blessing it causes an extra 50% damage against undead and demons - very handy against the likes of grues and liches (and molochs for that matter).
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 at 17:10 (GMT -5)

How the hell does a spear have anything to do with DV? I've never bothered with them; do they have DV bonuses? For reasons of weight I just leave some weapons laying on the floor -short bows unless I have no bow, cudgels, clubs, spears, and a few others.
By a moloch."
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 at 18:17 (GMT -5)

Spears are IMHO the BEST weapon class. Look at Gozers archmage (sorry, easiest way to see it). At grand mastery spears give 22 DV. Most DV except for staves but they don't let you have a shield. It starts out giving alot too, at some level 5 it give 7 DV? That's why it's so great for casters. Get a few skills in it and a good shield, you won't get hit.
-My brother
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5019 days, 17 hours, 53 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 at 04:04 (GMT -5)

red october, read the weapons section of the manual, it's pretty detailed :)
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: