Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Archmage Problems

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

ecgbryt
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 at 01:27 (GMT -5)

I have a level 50 grey elven mage who finally got enough PoGA to book-cast wish. I have the mana batterey corruption as well from repeated uses of the Mana orb. I put on my stuff, cast from the blessed book of wish and was horrified to see my toughness drop 10 points! Does anybody know why the stat drain is still occuring, and how to stop it? (I'm playing 1.1.1)
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5046 days, 8 hours, 53 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 at 01:59 (GMT -5)

You've just cast Wish, therefore one of your stats will decrease by 10. It's a side effect of the spell. You can't stop it.

-----

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 12 hours, 9 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 at 13:16 (GMT -5)

The idea behind an archmage is to get enough PP to be able to bookcast wish even when your Mana goes down to zero. You then just keep casting and wish for everything you want (especially being sure to get at least 99 potions of gain attributese).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5982 days, 2 hours, 47 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 at 18:49 (GMT -5)

Wish for power, I suppose :)
As long as you are able to wish for anything at all ;)
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

5667 days, 3 hours, 45 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 03:48 (GMT -5)

Darren Grey that's the first time anyone has actually spelled out what an archmage is suppposed to be to me. Thanks. I just assumed it was a caster able to cast wish with some impunity -not total. Wow. Is there a limit to bookcastings off one book?
Battle Bunny: "Ach, maybe his Christian altar was stepped on.
By a moloch."
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 04:46 (GMT -5)

No - there is no limit to how many times you can bookcast Wish. Which is obviously what makes an Archmage obscenely powerful since you can have all stats at 99, all skills maxed, all spells maxed, best non-artifact items, etc. Check out some of the Archmage characters in the HOF for more details on what they look like and how to achieve them.

As Nchurmdaz suggested, you can wish for power to directly increase your base PP. Another powerful strategy is to wish for SoCR - then use the mana orb (preferably while wearing the elemental gauntlets) to restore your PP while also increasing your base PP and Mana (the SoCR can then be used to cleanse the corruptions resulting from the use of the Mana Orb).
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 12 hours, 9 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 12:54 (GMT -5)

If using the Mana orb trick be sure to wear the elemental gauntlets - it halves corruptions from the orb. Also be sure to remember to switch to thick gauntlets before trying to dip the SoCR in holy water - you're bound to catch that awful corruption at some point.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
ecgbryt
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 19:49 (GMT -5)

Thanks alot for the advice.
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5046 days, 8 hours, 53 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 at 02:05 (GMT -5)

My Archmage just died. Be careful when charging wands. My girlfriend came in, distracted me, and I must have put some crazy high number in. The next thing I know I was on - 3232 HP.

Damn it.

-----

Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 at 02:23 (GMT -5)

Bad luck PeanutGod. Whenever I achieve an Archmage the first thing I always wish for is a couple of AoLS. It's tempting to believe that you are invincible at that stage, but it is easy to make a mistake due to the tedium of repeating your wish cycle over and over (and over . . .) again.
ej
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 at 03:28 (GMT -5)

you must have pressed the enter key before typing a number when you where asked how many charges, then adom picks the maximum possible amount of charges. no it's not fair!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: