Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Make Good My Escape!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Sirrocco
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 18:22 (GMT -5)

First, Triumph!

I'm currently running a Candleborn Troll Healer, level 17, hitting the Temple of Elemental Flame. I'm young yet, as players go, but heavily spoiled. I've only ever had one character walk into the tower, and he died horribly to a giant. The only character I've ever had that got to the CoC graveyard died there. I don't have any rings of ice, but the RNG has been good to me in artifacts, so I'm running a little understrength but not by too much. I head up the tower no problem, and get to the level with the temple. and decide to see what I can do about depopulating it around the edges. I dig. n from the top, and kill off all of the elementals there, alng with a fair number of demons and a couple of cultists. I pull out through my tunnel and dig in the bottom, taking out *that* pack of elementals. Grues have been obnoxious for me, to the point that I've taken to killing them off with wands of ice. (I'm a pickpocketing fiend, and have a few to burn.) I notice that the grues up top are all lined up prettily, if one digs in through the side to get them, so I do. I'm taking some corruption damage, pick up the devolvo ray, but that's actually good for me so I keep rolling, and pretty soon all of them are gone, along with a few *more* demons. Still, I've been hit by off-screen confusions a few times, and don't really want to face the Wyrm. I head back out and around, intending to come in from below and wipe out the room full of cultists when... the wyrm shows up, having come out of the Temple to meet me. Badmojo. The wyrm starts doing horribl, horrible things to me. I quickly discover that I can't handle him in either melee or ranged combat, and start running. By pure luck, I manage to get through a door and close it behind me. That earns me a few steps before I learn that The Doom That Slithers can open doors. Desperate, I scan through my gear. Then I see it. Heck. I'll try anything. Wand of Monster Creation. A large bat pops up between me and the beast. I run back another step. The bat stays where he is and the Wyrm tries to confuse me. Not good. Wand of Door creation to cut LOS. Much better. Beat feet to the stairs.

Not only did the wand of monster creation save my life, I think it's the only thing that could have in that situation, with the *possible* exception of earthquake.

Okay, on to the question. I'm in a wierd position. I've cleared every beginner quest and all of the dwarven quests. I've cleaned out the Tower except for the Temple. I've gotten the ring of High Kings. I've cleaned out Darkforge. Khelevastor is still sitting there waiting for me. I've almost cleaned out the gremiln cave - I left one water trap in one room, and one gremlin locked in a different room so I could restart it if I wanted to, but I don't really see that it'd be worth it. I've tried my hand at smithing, but at skill 50 it just takes Way Too Long, even for iron (trying to upgrade a phase dagger from Darkforge) and I don't really think my skill's going to be rising much past that. I've cleared the Dwarven graveyard, but not dug any of it up. I've walked through the Water Dragon's Lair but not robbed it. The only enemies who've given me any actual concern recently were Kherab and the Wyrm. By this point I'm level 19. I'd like to get an AoLS for Khelly, because I want to try to run this guy for ULE. Even if I had one, though, I'd still have some serious concerns about the vampires of the Graveyard. With enough confusion resist the liches aren't a problem, and I can deal with everything else easily enough, but the vamps scare me witless. Also, I haven't been able to come up with a shield that has better than +9 DV, and my skill's been maxxed for a while. I'd like to fix that, but I'm not sure how.

Suggestions?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 10 hours, 39 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 19:23 (GMT -5)

Well, if you have climbing and stealth at 100 I'd suggest giving the Rift and the library a shot (you need the xp and the scrolls, and there's some hope of a RoDS of AoLS to save Khelly). But for more general advice I'd suggset not using trolls - they take far too long to level up. You're going to find it almost impossible to get to level 45 for the ultra ending. If you like candle-born healers then I'd strongly recommend drakelings.

Anyway, as for taking on the wyrm... Well, some dragon-slaying ammo would be ideal, but I assume you have none? You need stronger confusion resistance too - bless any rings of the clear mind you have. Also it helps to weaken him down with wands of acid. One trick I like to do is get him trapped behind a bunch of elementals and fire as many wands of acids as I can at him. The elementals will shrug off the bolts far more than him so you may take him down whilst keeping a buffer of monsters between you. Works especially nicely with invisibility, and is a tactic I almost always use in the Water Temple (where it's much more effective).

If you have darkness and teleport then one option is to loot the water dragon cave. You just have to be very very careful about it. Hopefully that can net you some vital equipment.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4143 days, 15 hours, 56 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 22:59 (GMT -5)

for confusion - source or double of resistance and high willpower.

if you have trained in missile weapons and have 7Lb bug temple ground level and eating a hell of corpses just for speed bunusses.

gremlins - gremlin cave is bad place t o play with them. either somewhwere d8-9 or dwarven halls shoulkd be best. ive heard of using dwarven graveyard, but haven;t tested it.

rob graves - if you are afraid of liches...
high speed +invisble + using wand of diging instead pickaxe for not having to climb of hole if you wannna to.
or mark great tressure graves by droping some stuff like 1goldpiece over it, dig - teleport on other, repeat, teleport yourself away. and keep invisible to freaking ghosts.

as a wyrm goes - wands of stunning, poison and paralysation does wonders. you surely know they are rechargable?

earthquake doesn't work in temple. rings of ice are so sweet there. try getting one.

in general i quess troll mindcrafters are more powerfull shot.
early game -- troll stats and regeneration covers it for me.
you have a hell of free magic (sorry mindcraft) and extras like teleport control.
requires less xp also.

and i would pick Raven as birth sign.

as troll xp goes -- killing eternal guardians with humanoid slaying ammo, or wishing for emepror moloch usually makes a deal.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5439 days, 3 hours, 40 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 12:39 (GMT -5)

Troll, mindcrafter is HORRIBLE!!!! I will say it again, HORRIBLE!! They will take forever to get mind blast, won't even be able to cast it due to no mana. Gnome mindcrafters however, get loads of PP and levels go by like that.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4143 days, 15 hours, 56 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 12:43 (GMT -5)

why you ever need mind blast?

just confuse them and kill with your faithul heavy club.

as being troll you can cut everything above confusion blast and teleport control and i be still thamking to my fate for having them.
i bet my monthly sallary i can get over 95 procent of them to the normal ending.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5046 days, 7 hours, 23 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 12:53 (GMT -5)

Trollish Mindcrafters are pretty darn good when you get them flying. Good str and To, sod the mana, that can always be upped later on. If you are lucky enough to get a mana battery corruption, then uo go your PP later on easy enough. Otherwise, then just smack the stuffing out of most things when they have a decent weapon, and put their mental powers to use in tricky situations. A good combo in my eyes.

-----

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: