Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Some early-mid advice

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Ravana
Registered user

Last page view:

6323 days, 7 hours, 12 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 at 08:43 (GMT -5)

Okay, so I've been playing this for many years now, but still it seems I'm not really getting anywhere. My greatest achievement was a dark elven necromancer, but just because of a Greater Moloch pet. This was like 5-6 years ago. A while ago I was doing okay with a dwarven paladin until I met a Steel Golem. (Didn't remember that certain dungeon had one of those there.)

Anyways, now I'm playing a hurthling monk and doing nicely so far. Got some experience from the Infinite Dungeon and went to kill Yriggs. Got lucky, found lawful altars on both levels 3 and 4. So I started sacrificing stuff. Also led Yriggs to be sacrified.

Is there some difference in how tough monsters you sacrifice? I could lead loads of some minotaurs and bears from level 7. Also I have no idea how to achieve crowning, but I'm hoping this mad sacrifice will help there.

But the questions would be what to do after I reach the dwarven city? To me it seems like in every place there is some steel golem or statue or some such waiting to slay me.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5821 days, 16 hours, 4 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 at 10:33 (GMT -5)

Hm. For the last question... what to do after you reach the dwarf city? Do not stop! Full speed ahead! You know of the 90-day limit, do you? Because of that!
Also, what if something wants to slay you? Flee like you never did before. Equip 2 shields if it's faster than you and/or has very strong blows.
If you are stuck in a corridor between 2 powerful monsters, and you can't kill either of them from afar, here's an idea. Dig a hole in the wall before they arrive, with a pickaxe, and lure them to a position like this.
###################
########.##########
......Y@Y..........
###################

Then go around in that little hole and run. Don't forget to switch into Coward before so if they reach you, you can continue without getting many blows in.
Of course, this is only some advice that can let you survive a bit more. You won't survive if it's fast and strong, or has dead-accurate missiles (read=greater titan), but it worked often for me.
Just thought I'd disclose this because it seems you have a problem with tough monsters.
Oh, and think before you play. You have to go to the dwarf graveyard eventually, but are you ready to kill the heaps of undead? If not, prepare in advance.
Hope this helped. Cheers,
BB
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/26/2006 at 10:34 (GMT -5) by Battle bunny]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5758 days, 9 hours and 42 minutes ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 at 10:53 (GMT -5)

For crowning, the message after you sacrifice must be,"you feel absolutely close to your deity"
pray after you see absolutely, but precrown/postcrown at extremely close.

Hope that helps
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Demented Drow
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 at 13:20 (GMT -5)

Hi, i got the same "problem", but i can't think of any other game where not getting anywhere and slowly learning how everything works is so much fun.

DE chars seem to work best for me (maybe only because I'm biased ;-) and play more DElves than any other race).

Try DE Ranger for a great skill set (alertness, archery, athletics, dodge, find weakness, food preservation, healing, herbalism and more). Forget about dual wielding, even though they can do it better than everone else and use spear and shield for max DV.

Use bow and arrows as missile weapon and milk every Barbarian/Raider/Kobold group you encounter in the wilderness for arrows. If you don't get bored to death doing so, you may even get enough arrows of construct slaying to help you with statues/golems (plus all those other nice "slaying" arrows of course).

Saccing monsters that have a higher lvl than you is worth more, dunno if the type of monster makes a difference. If you happen to have a good herb lvl, sacc lots of blessed stomafillia. Getting the Big Room under control really helps.
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5046 days, 16 hours, 30 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 at 13:40 (GMT -5)

Forget about Duel Wielding?

Pah

My Dark Elf ranger had everything dropping before him with two swords. Once you've got a high level in them......they rock. Two swords of sharpness anyone?

-----

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4765 days, 6 hours, 7 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 at 03:53 (GMT -5)

Dont kill Yriggs. Lead him to the healer, and get healing skill. Also get training on bridge building. Freezing water is better, but building bridges can be used if desperate.
Ravana
Registered user

Last page view:

6323 days, 7 hours, 12 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 at 05:50 (GMT -5)

Okay thanks for replies. I just today found out you could actually lead Yriggs to the healer. But cause I had healing already, I wasn't rewarded it I guess. I also found out DV40 is no problem for Berserker Kings. Would ID be the best place in the start to look for some useful potions/scrolls/wands/books? I never seem to have anything quite useful when reaching the dwarven city.
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 at 06:43 (GMT -5)

When chosing talents at the start of the game, choose Alert, Miser, Treasure Hunter.
This combination will enable more money and good quality items to be found.
You must choose Alert at the very start, as this is the only time it is available.

Also if you want a good weapon, find a bunch of orcs in the wilderness, and run around while they throw spears at you. When you get bored of this, or scared, kill them all, and collect the spears. Eventually you will come across an Orcish spear of xxxxx. Now if the xxx is of devestation, life is now a little easier.
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5439 days, 12 hours, 47 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 at 07:31 (GMT -5)

As a monk, don't use a weapon. Also, instead of doing village elder quest do Druid. You get a artifact (not too bad or good) and you get herbalism or a book+wand of frost. Plus, if you eat the corpse you can get some nice stats but a corruption. Going back to herbalism, if you find any herbs (going through UD or big room is good) you can get precrowns more easily then saccing monsters with stomafilla,plus all the other nice herbs. In addition, monks don't get many spell books. My monk winner had a total of maybe 5 spell books he found on his own (rest were from 2 book shops). Plus, duel wielding with two scimitars as a dark elven ranger is as cool as you can get. Drizzt!
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 at 10:32 (GMT -5)

Jules: You know that is an exploit. I recommend you, topic creator, never to use exploits. I did that with hill orcs in my n00b days but it became boring.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 at 14:08 (GMT -5)

Battle B.
I agree it is an exploit, but no more than use of sickness and herbs, use of ID lvl 9 for rings, pickpocket and gremlins, ring of weakness (thats a BIG exploit), excessive casting of light to train Wi, etc, etc
All of the above are exploits, and acceptable in the game. It beats by a distance piety overflow.
The reality of some exploits is that they give newcomers a chance.
For us more experienced gamers, playing without exploits is another part of the challenge.
Give the new guys a chance, they need it.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 at 14:14 (GMT -5)

Well, I didn't even know about the last one (excessive casting of Light). And the only one I use nowadays in my games is gremlin scumming.
But if somebody really wants to use exploits: trigger the spear traps until they give no more spears. A few extra of them.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5136 days, 1 hour, 41 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 at 06:50 (GMT -5)

Both of these exploits are pretty mild. Because you might spend a lot of time wasted in the wilderness without finding anything really good either. They can only be iron-spears too, which again means they can be destroyed pretty easy, and can't be used in the Tower.

First step to a successful game is learning how to get precrowned, and crowned. Live sacrifices are pretty good for this. You just need patience, and food. Buy a lot of food from arena.

With a monk precrown is not THAT important, odds are you get a (useless) weapon, but crowning should give a useful item for you.

Finding books can be done in the ID, yes. You can find most if not all on level 1-2, but to gain more exp and other better items you could hunt lower, ID:9 for corruption free or lower for even better weapons. At level 20+ it can get pretty dangerous.

Monk needs experience. The higher level, the better your attack is. Always fight barehanded, but also train up your missile skills. And adding spells will help a lot. The spell "strength of atlas" is very nice for a monk.

Never be burdened or strained, your barehanded bonus will go away. If this happens and you don't wanna drop something you should equip a weapon and fight with it, because your hands are useless.

Wear only light armor will give you a nice DV boost. Not that important early game (where a good armor can save you) but as you progress the bonus gets better and better.

---

My best advice for a winning character:
* Start a wizard. Hurthling is pretty okay choice.
* Go to the ID.
* Alternate between levels 1 and 2 till you have have
- Decent one-handed weapon (spear recommended)
- A shield. Wooden or medium [3,1] or better.
- 2 attack spells with plenty castings
- level of 6 of higher
- concentration of 100.
* Now continue going deeper. Nice talents are long stride and (alert, miser) treasure hunter. Keep killing and picking up books which you read till they fade. Leave ID when you have:
-DV of 25+, PV of 10+ on normal setting.
-6 weapon marks in your chosen melee weapon, and some missile weapons marks too (bow or crossbow)
-At least 5 attack spells, including magic missile and a ball spell, one healing spell and the following spells: Teleport, Invisibility, Strength of Atlas.
-Poison resistance
-Teleport control

You will get every spell by spending time, so why not do it? When you reach level 16 you should try to do pyramid. Also when you get bored you can easily do other quests. Just be careful.

Smart things to do:
Enter and leave small cave, to generate low monsters.
Become neutral, Get pickpocket skill, use it, and then get detect traps skill (very nice).
Enter druid dungeon level 7, then leave it to generate a low-level druid. No artifact is generated.

thedrin
Registered user

Last page view:

6011 days, 23 hours, 6 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 at 07:15 (GMT -5)

[quote]Well, I didn't even know about the last one (excessive casting of Light). And the only one I use nowadays in my games is gremlin scumming.
But if somebody really wants to use exploits: trigger the spear traps until they give no more spears. A few extra of them.[/quote]

I'm fairly sure that spears from spear traps, like arrows from arrow traps, never have prefixes or suffixes.
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 at 08:20 (GMT -5)

Excessive casting of light is useful in the early stages. It trains WI due to the number of times you can cast a very low pp costing spell. It doesnt matter how many times you cast it, as you will never run out (how many times do you really need light?).
It trains concentration so that you will never waste a skill upgrade on it until you hit 100.
All wizards in teryino at lvl 1 should cast it if they have it until they get bored.
Later in the game, it is unlikely to drop your pp at all, as it costs 1pt to cast, and will still count towards Wi enhancement.
It is one of the few spells that you can cast as often as you like without fear of waste, will always have an effect, and leave you free to deal with whatever comes along, as your pp will remain high if not at max.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 at 10:19 (GMT -5)

Also, if you ever get "enough" castings of a damage spell (if you find plenty books, or have a high learning score) you can excessively cast magic missile at nothing as well. Its damage will increase pretty nicely with casting effect of 50...

With my wizards I never worry too much about running out of spells. But then again I still kill most of the enemies with melee/missile weapons, spells mostly for the tough and nasty monsters.
Demented Drow
Registered user

Last page view:

6321 days, 20 hours, 55 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 at 10:24 (GMT -5)

"My Dark Elf ranger had everything dropping before him with two swords. Once you've got a high level in them......they rock."

"Plus, duel wielding with two scimitars as a dark elven ranger is as cool as you can get. Drizzt!"

That's true, of course.
I suggested going for more DV because Ravana has problems with hard hitting/hard-to-damage Monsters. I tried to make Drizzt-like chars when i was new to ADOM and most of them were ripped apart by some monster I could never harm. Now I just can't let go of shields, and having some shield skill also helps in the Animated Forest.

"Become neutral, Get pickpocket skill, use it, and then get detect traps skill (very nice)."

Yeah, get pickpocket asap. You start with 1 point, so raise it a bit while you still get fast Lvl-ups.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/29/2006 at 10:25 (GMT -5) by Demented Drow]
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5046 days, 16 hours, 30 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 at 10:56 (GMT -5)

Maybe its time to drop the shields and try again with two weapons?

A lot of it is down to how people play. People who are new to the game would be well advised to protect themselves as much as possible. Once you've got the hang of it all, have completed the game a fair number of times and know what you're doing, its time to experiment. I used to have trouble with damage when i first started, but now I'm the one doing the damage to the monsters. It's all about how you play the game.

-----

Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 at 11:06 (GMT -5)

Well, I myself find that DV helped me not as much in the beginning as PV. A stupid mistake... accidental berserking, and a bit of bad luck and all of the world's DV won't help you if your PV isn't anything decent.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
jeremiah
Registered user

Last page view:

5701 days, 10 hours, 33 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 at 17:45 (GMT -5)

Well I may not have as much xp in this game but for steel glomes ball lighting is very nice, your not a spell caster but a wand and some booze maybe... Also if you can some escape items potions of invisibility and scrolls/wands of teleportation. But if you find the monsters are to hard in the area that your in it is best just to leave and gain some lvls and come back later.
"THE TH TALENT SUCKS!!!!!!" - Gut
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 at 00:19 (GMT -5)

"Its damage will increase pretty nicely with casting effect of 50..."
I'm sure there was a limit to effectivity.
And there is a warning steel golem just upstairs. That will help you estimate whether to go to DF or not?
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 at 08:19 (GMT -5)

I don't think there is a cap on spell effectiveness. I've gotten damage spells as high as I want to before withouty meeting a cap.

Of course, it takes longer to notch as level goes up, since you need to cast it P+1 times to improve it (P is current effectiveness).

To get a spell from level 0 to level 10 takes 1+2+3..+9+10 = 55 castings, not too hard.
To get it from level 40 to 50 you need
41+..+51 = 506 castings.

Bolt spells gain one extra damage die every 3 points of effectiveness (actually effectiveness + level, but level is limited).

Magic missile has d4, but will damage anything.
Fire/Frost/Lightning are d6, and I think acid bolt is d8.

A level 50 caster with a "normal" (say) 40 effectiveness in magic missile will therefore do 30d4 +R* damage. (the R is remaining range when spell hits. If you have range 10 (dependant on Willpower) and the spell hits monster standing 3 steps away, you will do 7 extra damage.)
30d4 is 75 damage on average.

While if you really train the casting to 250 effectiveness (31375 castings of the spell...) you will do 100d4, 250 points damage. Which still isn't great, but...

An archmage using some form of macro might get 2000 effectiveness, Doing magic missile damage of 1700.

Well thats one of the things I like abut the game, you can always improve your character. Somehow. Best piece of advice here is like Jeremiah said, if you're in over your neck, back off, grow stronger, and then return & conquer.

My current character, hurthling necro has happily spent 230 days in the chain, and has only just finished the fire temple...gonna spend another 100 getting ready for ultra ending.

(If anyone was interested, 2000 effectiveness requires over 2 million castings)

Oh and I forgot to mention the mage class/priest class thing. Mages gain effectiveness in priest spells only half as fast. Vice versa for priests and mage spells.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/30/2006 at 08:22 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5439 days, 12 hours, 47 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 at 09:15 (GMT -5)

Cool, so does your effectiveness with spells go up with book casting? If so, I just figured out a new thing to do while I harvest herbs and other things like that.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 at 09:47 (GMT -5)

He didn't say that and it isn't true...
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 at 13:42 (GMT -5)

Sadly effectiveness stays put when book-casting. Otherwise people would do just what you intend to do...

Im thinking mid-game, if you somehow end up with a lot of castings of a particular spell, you can afford to blow them on "effectiveness-scumming". Magic missile springs to mind, as it is effective against anything. I always end up with enough casting for an advanced character, so might as well blast away when doing something dull. Like waiting for live-sacrifices or harvesting herbs.
Red October
Registered user

Last page view:

5667 days, 11 hours, 22 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 at 21:41 (GMT -5)

I've had troubles with magic missile because as the effectiveness goes up, so does the range. And it bounces, so you get into weird situations where you cannot use it. I remember digging holes into the walls several spaces deep to blast Ancient Karmic Wyrms in a vault because I had no room, and, while the missile bounced off the wall behind the Wyrm, hitting him twice (only took about 3-5 shots to drop a Wyrm, that will give you the idea of power of my spell); it would also come and hit me for the odd couple hundred damage, THEN BOUNCE THROUGH ME AGAIN. ARGH. I dug back just far enough to see the beam fizzle out in front of my nose. Even if the Wyrm got in my face he ate Magic Missile twice from a single casting.
Battle Bunny: "Ach, maybe his Christian altar was stepped on.
By a moloch."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: