Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Scroll, Volcano, Inn

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5045 days, 3 hours, 1 minute and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 at 11:07 (GMT -5)

Everyone is aware of the Scroll of Omnipotence, the Volcano and the Red Rooster Inn I'm sure.

Question is, what do you lot think about them? Are they real places? Or is Thomas screwing with our heads? Has all of Adom really been discovered?

For my own part, I got bored and so started wandering arouns trying to give the strange message to everyone. Khelevaster mumbled at me, the Minstrel didn't give a shit, and then the Ghost Librarian said to me 'Blessed be thee, for bringing this back. I missed it.'

Other people are probably aware he says this, but its this first time I tried, so I felt I've learnt something new about the game.

Still.............woulda been nice to find *something* new.

Sigh...

--------

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5756 days, 20 hours, 13 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 at 13:22 (GMT -5)

I believe that Thomas would have hidden something like these things in the game. After all, there are things that even thomas doesn't know about:D

But I think that in order to find those places(provided that they exist) you would have to be either:
A: Thomas himself, so you could think like him
B: a friend who helped make it
C: a excellent hacker

But in all seriousness, I think that the message you receive when you try to climb white mountains,"You cannot cross these mountains without magical means.", means something possibly.Dunno though, though I do HIGHLY doubt that Thomas would just put all these references in the game and just torture us all.....though I would :D
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5437 days, 23 hours, 18 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 at 15:36 (GMT -5)

You have to find the true use of the si. Or, give strange message to Andor Drakon. Volcano is fake I belive, ToEF instead. Scroll of Omnipotence is Strange Message. What happens if you greater Identify it? Red Rooster inn... a secret :-).
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 at 16:00 (GMT -5)

Never tried greater identifying the strange scroll, or giving it to Andy. If there is a true use for the si, that would be pretty sweet. There must be something else you can ask Thrundarr about, since he's a source of info. If not it all revolves around the Ministrel, the Weird Tome, Khelly, and characters involved with them. But there has to be something more!

----

nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 at 16:01 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I agree PNutGod
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
jeremiah
Registered user

Last page view:

5699 days, 21 hours, 4 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 at 14:22 (GMT -5)

I thought the si was a reference to a old dnd game where one of the players found a si list in his inventory and didn't know what was or how it got there. And then later found another one in addition to the frist one.

I tried to write a scroll of omnipotence once got a scroll of balance.
"THE TH TALENT SUCKS!!!!!!" - Gut

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/8/2007 at 14:23 (GMT -5) by jeremiah]
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5437 days, 23 hours, 18 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 at 18:30 (GMT -5)

The si was a item in the Creator's DnD campaign. It strangely appeared there, and then another one later on. Andor Drakon was also a priest. Thomas Biskup put it in as a inside joke, but I am willing to bet there is another purpose.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5820 days, 2 hours, 35 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 14:15 (GMT -5)

Sorry to bust your (laughably humorous) bubble, but!
When I was young and naive, I did many things, much more than just distributing scrolls of omnipotence but nothing. Now I absolutely believe it is a red herring. You can't get anything you ask for. Now forget this thread.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 14:26 (GMT -5)

Battle Bunny, I hate to break it to you, but everything's not always obvious, or may seem after much experimentation impossible. But just because in your experience you THINK that you tried everything that might reveal some secrets, doesn't mean you actually have. I will only succumb to factual information, and the facts are in the game, after all. So I'll gladly believe you if you can PROVE that these things don't exist. Just thought I'd throw that out there.:D
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 14:46 (GMT -5)

Well, if you can say one thing that is realistic and yet untried, congratulations.
If you want fact, try this.

Unresolved mysteries
5.1 Kherab's third quest and the reward

When your PC has done the first two quests for Kherab, the dwarven artificer in Darkforge, he tells your character to "be patient, more will have to be done soon". However, he will never assign the third quest, even to experience level 50 characters who are ready to close the chaos gate or attempt an ultra ending. From scanning the executable, reference to a "spear of raw steel" has been found, seemingly a third quest reward along with the amulet of raw steel and shield of raw steel now available.

5.2 The Scroll of Omnipotence

In the secret compartment of the High Mountain Village, there's a message that reads:

"Dear Lubaf, I am sorry to disappoint you but you won't be able to find the Scroll of Omnipotence in this place. I have hidden it more effectively. You will need to find the red rooster at dawn. Then you'll encounter the final challenge.

With passionate hate,
Alhacrast, Overlord of Jak-Nagiur."

This may be what Khelavaster refers to as the foolish legends that built up around the quest for the crumpled scroll and the Trident of the Red Rooster.

(Foolish legends... sure. They are. The executable has been disassembled countless times, and nothing.)

5.3 The Red Rooster Inn

The Red Rooster Inn is mentioned in the executable and is probably a red herring. It was thought in earlier versions of ADOM that the innkeeper would produce the Trident of the Red Rooster in the Red Rooster Inn at dawn.

(What is this blather? The ToTRR was always from Khelly!)

5.4 The Volcano

There is a volcano mentioned in the executable, but no character has ever found such a location. It may be a remnant left over from earlier development of ADOM, possibly designed to be the location where the Chaos Orb of Elemental Fire could be found prior to implementation of the Tower of Eternal Flames.

(The Volcano was originally meant to be the location of the fire orb, but the project was scrapped.)

5.5 The Weird Tome

The Ghost Librarian in the Library of Niltrias demands silence. In practice, this means the PC must spend a certain amount of time in the Library without speaking. Spellcasting is allowed. After spending the required number of turns (unknown, but well spent reading spellbooks) without speaking, upon 'C'hatting with him, he gives the PC the weird tome. He instructs the PC to deliver it to the Mad Minstrel, who will in turn reward the PC with five cursed scrolls of chaos resistance.

The mystery about the book is the fact that nobody has managed to read it.

See section 2.22.2.1 for more details about the Ghost Librarian and the weird tome.

(The executable has already showed that the weird tome is unreadable, literally. It gives different messages with different literacy etc. though.)
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 7 hours and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 14:58 (GMT -5)

Well, do you think we'll let a bunch of executable file hackers destroy our heartfelt love for unresolved mysteries? Think again!
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 14:59 (GMT -5)

You may not, but it's the truth. I liked dreaming about impossible things too, about... 5 years ago.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 15:34 (GMT -5)

Each to his own, methinks
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4499 days, 4 hours, 39 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 05:28 (GMT -5)

5.1 is probably a real quest that is available to specific characters... or to nobody due to a bug in the code (Celestrix anyone?)
5.2 is a red herring (Lubaf = fabul, Alhacrast = charlatas... self-explanatory)
5.3 is leftover reference from the place where the TotRR was generated prior to 0.9.9g10 but was never implemented (Khelly summoned the trident instead)
5.4 is leftover reference from the place where the fire orb was generated prior to 0.9.9 but was never implemented (the ToEF was created instead)
For 5.5 I remember an entry in the bug database from Raymond Martineau speaking about the WT and the requirements for reading it... need to ask him
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3891 days, 4 hours, 34 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 08:10 (GMT -5)

This has been discussed many times before, but anyway, here we go again.

There are a few references to the scroll of omnipotence in the ADOM executable. It's been a long time since I looked at this stuff, but iirc: I t's unidentified name would be 'Ancient Scroll', upon reading it would kill you (something about the PC not being able to handle the power). That's all I can remember for now, but I'l post more as I get home.

Anyway, I don't think the Scroll of Omnipotence or the Red Rooster Inn or exist.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 08:33 (GMT -5)

Alhacrast = Alcathras.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 6 hours, 18 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 10:15 (GMT -5)

And, uh, what does "Alcathras" mean?

The weird tome mentions the Scroll of Omnipotence, but the PC isn't able to read it fully. Makes me suspicious of the Mad Minstrel ;) They're definitely not implemented in the game though - codedivers would have found them.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 13:59 (GMT -5)

Dunno, but I heard that the original anagram was supposed to be this.
Yummy pizzas!
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4142 days, 11 hours, 34 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 21:12 (GMT -5)

misspelled "Alcatraz"?
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 at 03:15 (GMT -5)

Yep.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 at 03:55 (GMT -5)

Except... that doesn't really mean anything :/ Alcatraz can bear no relation to the game, or specifically the Scroll of Omnipotence.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4142 days, 11 hours, 34 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 at 08:45 (GMT -5)

as i remember lot of anagrmas - bandit ton, sherrif name- have nothing to do with a game.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

There are relations though. "Hole in the wall" is an expression for black markets and the like. "Wyatt Earp" is a wild west sherrif, so has an obvious connection to the character in the game. A misspelt anagram of Alcatraz can have no relation to the whoever is "Overlord of Jak-Nagiur".
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 at 12:10 (GMT -5)

Yeah, the only things I could find from Alhacrast and Jak naguir were: Altar Cash and Jaguar Kin. Neither of which really mean sod all. Oh well.

----

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3891 days, 4 hours, 34 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 at 12:09 (GMT -5)

ok, after some checking I found this:

when reading the scroll (probably):
'You read the scroll of omnipotence.'

'Immediately you realize that this was a big mistake as you are not prepared for the wave of power that suddenly floats your body. You are ripped to pieces almost instantly!'

Probable death message: 'ripped to pieces by trying to claim power not meant for %s'

another possibility:
'As you read the scroll you suddenly feel great power surging through your body. You feel invincible and your abilities are increased by enourmous amounts! Now you are a true champion of %s!'

But again, I don't believe the scroll exists, those are just lines left in the code.

about the Red Rooster Inn. I think it was originally the place to get the TotRR.
'You enter the Red Rooster Inn as the sun is just rising. Alganon, the innkeeper, welcomes you with great joy and honors you for helping the ancient dwarf. As a reward he grants you a long item wrapped in a sheet. He winks at you and mumbles "Ye know what'ta do with dat, don't ye?". Due to some urgent business Alganon then leaves.'

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: